|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | January 2013|
Articles published in January 2013Select individual articles below or view all 45 articles on one page.
45 articles published
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (1)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (37)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
- 1: “Not without Falklands Representation,” Hague Tells Timmerman - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 31.01.2013
- Argentine Foreign Minister, Mr Hector Timerman will visit London next week and has requested a meeting with the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague.
- 2: Falklands Prepare for CPA Regional Conference - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 26.01.2013
- The 43rd British Islands and Mediterranean Region (BIMR) Annual Conference of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) will be hosted in the Falkland Islands. Venue dates are 11th - 15th February 2013.
- 3: Falklands Executive Council Report 23 January 2013 - Falklands (Legal) - 26.01.2013
- To begin with, the task status report for this month was noted, then approval was given in principle for the minting and issue of a commemorative coin in anticipation of the Centenary of the First World War.
- 4: Former Colonial Secretary Aubrey Denton-Thompson Dies at 92 - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.01.2013
- Well liked, he presented a Children’s Programme over the radio. He will be missed by those who knew him both in the Falklands and elsewhere world-wide.
- 5: PUBLIC MEETING REPORT: MONDAY, 21 JANUARY 2013 - Falklands (Business News) - 26.01.2013
- A public meeting took place in the Parish hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 21 January 2013. Present were MLAs Short, Cheek, Edwards, Summers, Hansen (Chair), Halford and Sawle. Absent was Dr Barry Elsby.
- 6: Falklands: AWARDS AND CERTIFICATES PRESENTED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Education) - 26.01.2013
- Twenty-three people received awards and certificates at Government House on Thursday.
Acting Governor, Ms Sandra Tyler-Haywood, presented the certificates
- 7: WEEKLY FALKLANDS HYDROCARBONS NEWS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 26.01.2013
- Rockhopper Exploration plc announces that Dave Bodecott, Exploration Director, is retiring from the Board of Directors and will be leaving the Company on 31 January 2013
- 8: PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSIONS- CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM & UTILITIES DIVESTMENT - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2013
- The public are reminded that Public Information Sessions on the proposed changes to the Constitution and the Divestment of Utilities (water and electricity) conclude this week. The information sessions are held in order to inform the public and discuss both issues, and members of the public are encouraged to attend.
- 9: UNIQUE HOTEL GROUP CONSIDERS ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2013
- A team of six from the Mantis Collection, a collection of privately owned boutique hotels and eco-escapes across the globe, will undertake an exploratory eight day visit to St Helena from 23 January, to see if the Island has the right ingredients for its offering and philosophy.
- 10: HARBOUR VIEW EVACUATION GOES SMOOTHLY - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2013
- SHG extends its thanks to the four residents, their relatives and to the Salvation Army, following the evacuation of Harbour View on Monday night of this week.
- 11: St Helena: RESTRUCTURING – HEALTH AND SOCIAL WELFARE - St Helena (Business News) - 26.01.2013
- SHG is modernising and restructuring to strengthen lines of accountability within Government, and more clearly link policy with political oversight, decision making, programme delivery and value for money.
- 12: COUNCILLOR RAYMOND WILLIAMS DEPARTS FOR FALKLANDS CONFERENCE - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 26.01.2013
- Councillor Raymond Williams departs the Island today Friday 25 January, to attend the 43rd British Island and Mediterranean Region (BIMR) Conference on the Falkland Islands from 11-15 February 2013.
- 13: South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Add New Spatial and Temporal Closed Areas to Marine Protected Area - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 21.01.2013
- Scientific advice and a stakeholder consultation have resulted in the Government of South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI) announcing the addition of extra spatial and temporal protection to the existing South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Marine Protected Area (SGSSI MPA).
- 14: Falklands Discuss Future Impact of the Oil & Gas Sector on the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 19.01.2013
- FIG has commissioned Regeneris Consulting to lead a study exploring the possible impacts of the oil and gas sector on the economy and society of the Islands over the next 20 years.
- 15: QUARK LOSES FISHERY LICENCE REVIEW - Falklands (Fisheries) - 19.01.2013
- The four principle grounds for supporting the contention by Quark Fishing Limited that the decision by the Director of Fisheries for the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands Government not to grant a fishing licence for the South Georgia Fishery to the Company for the 2012 season had been unlawful has been rejected in a judgment by Lord Chief Justice Christopher Gardner QC delivered this morning.
- 16: South Atlantic Peace and Cooperation Zone Supports Defence Pact - Falklands (Business News) - 19.01.2013
- The 7th Ministerial Meeting of the South Atlantic Peace and Cooperation Zone agreed on Thursday to strengthen peaceful cooperation in the area of defense.
- 17: All set for the South Georgia Hazard Forecasting Project - Falklands (Environment) - 19.01.2013
- In early January 2013 Ralph Burton, Barbara Brooks, Alan Gadian and James Groves are heading to the island of South Georgia via the Falklands.
- 18: RESULTS OF THE RECENT DOG HYDATID SURVEY - Falklands (Agriculture) - 19.01.2013
- By Steve Pointing (Wool Press)
- 19: WORKS CONTINUE AT PLANTATION HOUSE - St Helena (Business News) - 19.01.2013
- Plantation House, the Governor’s Residence, has been buzzing with activity over the last few months as refurbishment work continues.
- 20: St Helena Public Information Sessions - St Helena (Business News) - 19.01.2013
- Councillors will hold an additional Public Information Session, regarding Constitutional reform, at Sandy Bay Community Centre at 7:30pm on Wednesday 23 January. This information session will also cover the Divestment of Utilities (water and electricity).
- 21: ST HELENA MOORINGS ‘WORLD CLASS’ - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 19.01.2013
- St Helena Island now boasts ‘World Class’ moorings. Eight months of hard work and commitment have resulted in a high quality and robust mooring field for visiting yachts. Situated on the Western side of James’ Bay, the new moorings were completed in time for the finish of the 2012 Governor’s Cup Yacht Race and have received fantastic comments from race participants.
- 22: St Helena CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM: A CHIEF COUNCILLOR? - St Helena (Legal) - 19.01.2013
- In 2009 a new Constitution was adopted for St Helena (and for Ascension and Tristan da Cunha). It brought many changes, which seem generally to be thought to have been improvements upon the previous systems, which dated from 1988.
- 23: Tristan: Public Notice published on Friday 18th January - Tristan (Heritage) - 19.01.2013
- We are pleased to announce that Her Majesty the Queen has awarded an honorary MBE to Captain Clarence October, Captain of the MV Edinburgh for his services to the community of Tristan da Cunha.
- 24: Dates and Question set for the Referendum on Falkland Islands Political Status, 2013 - Falklands (Legal) - 19.01.2013
- On Tuesday 12th June 2012 the Falkland Islands Government announced its intention to hold a referendum, in order to enable Falkland Islanders to express their view on the political status of the Falkland Islands. The Falkland Islands Government can now confirm the dates of the referendum, and the final wording of the question.
- 25: P&O Cruises Scrap Argentine Ports - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 13.01.2013
- Cruise-liners Arcadia and Adonia will not dock in Argentina because of pressure with the country over the Falklands.
- 26: ARGENTINE BULLIES PROTEST AGAINST FALKLANDS BOUND CRUISE SHIPS - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 12.01.2013
- Britain last night condemned the bullying by Argentine activists after flag burning crowds at the gate to the dock in Buenos Aires
- 27: ROCKHOPPER ANNOUNCES EXPLORATION DRILLING FOR 2014 - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 12.01.2013
- Rockhopper Exploration has announced that significant upside potential remains and a further exploration drilling campaign for its acreage in the North Falkland Basin; and is planned for 2014.
- 28: Falkland Islands Company Announces Share Incentive Plan for all Employees - Falklands (Business News) - 12.01.2013
- Falkland Islands Holdings has announced that the Company has implemented an HMRC approved Share Incentive Plan
- 29: EDUCATIONAL PROGRESS FOR THE FALKLAND ISLANDS - Falklands (Education) - 12.01.2013
- Congratulations to Alan Daniels at the Falkland Islands Community School (FICS) who has now been appointed as the Lead Teacher of Mathematics.
- 30: PRESENTATION MARKS CONCLUSION OF GOVERNOR’S CUP YACHT RACE - St Helena (Business News) - 12.01.2013
- Silver Cloud, the last participant to conclude the Governor’s Cup Yacht Race, finished its race on Monday 7 January at approximately 11am.
- 31: MEET THE NEW TOURISM DIRECTOR – CATHY ALBERTS - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 12.01.2013
- New Director of St Helena Tourism, Cathy Alberts - responsible for the development and promotion of a sustainable tourism industry for St Helena for the benefit of the Saint community, tourism sector and investors - arrived on the Island on 28 December 2012 and takes over from previous Tourism Development Executive, Mike Dean.
- 32: WARM RECEPTION FOR GOVERNOR’S CUP YACHT RACE PARTICIPANTS - St Helena (Business News) - 12.01.2013
- Participants in the biggest ever Governor’s Cup Yacht Race were met with a warm reception on St Helena when they arrived in the early days of January 2013.
- 33: St Helena: CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM & UTILITIES DIVESTMENT - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 12.01.2013
- In the month of January, public information sessions will be held on proposed Constitutional changes as well as offering the provision of information on Utilities Divestment (water and energy).
- 34: St Helena: EXCO REPORT - meeting of 8 January 2013 - St Helena (Legal) - 12.01.2013
- I’m very pleased to be back on St Helena and just in time to meet and congratulate the teams who competed so well in the exciting Governor’s Cup Yacht Race.
- 35: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY GAVIN SHORT (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to make a few comments on the subject, too.
- 36: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY SHARON HALFORD (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would like to take this opportunity to thank various people from within the Civil Service for their hard work and dedication.
- 37: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY DICK SAWLE (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Colleagues, I would like to thank my Honourable colleague Sharon Halford for her lengthy and full detail in her Motion for Adjournment Speech.
- 38: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY JAN CHEEK (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I was delighted to hear late yesterday that the MOU on the Wind Farm had been agreed and look forward, as does the Honourable Gavin Short to see it advance from there.
- 39: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY IAN HANSEN (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would just like to briefly address an overseas trip as well; and that was the Cricket tour that was recently taken by the Cricket team and myself in the Caribbean.
- 40: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH BY ROGER EDWARDS (20/12/2012) - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Thank you Mr Speaker. In rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to start by saying why I asked those particular questions today.
- 41: Reaction to Open Letter from President Fernandez de Kirchner - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- It is disappointing that today the Government of Argentina is once again ignoring the rights and wishes of the Falkland Islands people.
- 42: St Helena BANJO CLAIMS BELLOWS LINE HONOURS - St Helena (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- The Governor’s Cup Yacht Race, a downwind 1,750 nautical mile journey from Simon’s Town, South Africa to St Helena, has seen the catamaran yacht Banjo (SA) with its skipper and owner Kevin Webb and crew, Sarel Van der Merwe and Brad Stemmett, claim The Bellows Line Honours Tray by crossing the finishing line on 1 January 2013 at approximately 5:30pm.
- 43: NEW MEMBER OF MEDIA STANDARDS COMMISSION APPOINTED - St Helena (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- With effect from 18 December 2012, Mr Lawson Henry has been appointed by His Excellency Governor Capes as a Member of the St Helena Media Standards Commission. This follows the resignation of Mr Stephen Biggs.
- 44: St Helena: PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSIONS- - St Helena (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Over the course of January, public information sessions will be held on both proposed Constitutional changes, and the Divestment of Utilities (water and electricity)
- 45: Motion for Adjournment Speech by Brigadier Bill Aldridge Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands - Falklands (Business News) - 06.01.2013
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, there is a possibility that this will be my last chance to attend the Legislative Assembly if I am to have the opportunity to visit what is a significant part of my patch, namely South Georgia.