|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | June 2012|
Articles published in June 2012Select individual articles below or view all 64 articles on one page.
64 articles published
|Jan (37)||Feb (45)||Mar (26)|
|Apr (54)||May (41)||Jun (56)|
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (61)|
|Jul (43)||Aug (57)||Sep (42)|
|Oct (41)||Nov (37)||Dec (37)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
- 1: The UK and the Overseas Territories: a vision for security, success and sustainability - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.06.2012
- The Overseas Territories and the UK share a unique bond, with shared historical links that go back more than four centuries. But 2012 is a particularly special year.
- 2: PUBLIC MEETING REPORT: Monday, 25 June 2012 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.06.2012
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1700hrs on Monday, 25 June 2012. Members of Legislative Assembly present were the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford, the Hon Mr Mike Summers, the Hon Dr Barry Elsby and the Hon Mr Ian Hansen.
- 3: GARETH DRABBLE AND KIMBERLEY YON-ROBERTS BOTH AWARDED 1ST CLASS HONOURS DEGREES - St Helena (Education) - 30.06.2012
- Students, Gareth Drabble (of Levelwood) and Kimberley Yon-Roberts (of Cow Path) were both this week awarded 1st Class Honours Degrees in the UK. Both study at the University of Bedfordshire.
- 4: St Helena: EXCO meeting of 26 June 2012 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 30.06.2012
- Today our EXCO agenda covered quite a wide range of issues. Our first agenda item concerned the management of solid waste on St Helena. Those of you who have reviewed the Sustainable Development Plan will know that a vital goal for SHG is to ensure effective management of the environment. Linked to that is the objective of improving and maintaining environmental conditions through better management of solid waste.
- 5: St Helena: CHIEF MAGISTRATE ARRIVING ON FRIDAY - St Helena (Legal) - 30.06.2012
- A new Magistrates’ Court Ordinance was enacted in November of 2011 and one of the changes made to the law surrounding the Court, was the appointment of a legally qualified Magistrate as the Chief Magistrate.
- 6: St Helena: BRITISH LIBRARY TO PILOT ST HELENA ARCHIVES DIGITISATION - St Helena (Education) - 30.06.2012
- The British Library has agreed to fund a pilot digitisation project for the internationally-significant St Helena Archives. This project will audit the collection as a whole, digitise the earliest records (beginning with ‘Goodwins Abstracts’, 1673-1707), provide training for local staff and lay the foundations for a potential major project grant.
- 7: Falkland Islands Government Happy for Direct Talks with Argentina on Flights and Fisheries - Falklands (Business News) - 28.06.2012
- With the UK talks in mind, on 23rd April the Argentine Ambassador wrote to the FCO offering discussions on air-links to the Falklands and fisheries co-operation. It was decided by the relevant Foreign and Commonwealth Office department that given these issues are the responsibility of the Falkland Islands Government the advice of the Falkland Islands Assembly would be sought.
- 8: Falklands: FOGL NAMES FARM-OUT PARTNER - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 26.06.2012
- On 20 March 2012, the Board of FOGL announced that it had granted an option to enter into a Farm Out Agreement (FOA) to an industry counterparty. While talks were going on FOGL chose not to say who that partner was but today FOGL announced that the counterparty was Edison which was unable to conclude the farm out agreement at that time as it was undertaking a corporate reorganisation which led to EDF becoming a controlling shareholder.
- 9: FALKLANDS: ONE VETERAN’S WORDS OF HOPE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.06.2012
- Kenny Ward served in 12 Regiment, Royal Artillery was invited to say a few words during the Liberation Songs of Praise Service at Christ Church Cathedral on Sunday by the Rev Dr Richard Hines.
- 10: Argentina turns to Wales to help betray the Falklands - Falklands (Business News) - 24.06.2012
- Argentine diplomats have held talks with a Welsh nationalist about trying to win support among British MPs for the country's bid to win sovereignty over the Falkland Islands.
- 11: GLOBAL FINANCIAL COOL-DOWN ALSO BENEFITS THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Business News) - 24.06.2012
- Both the Wall Street Journal and Reuters report today that prices of Light Sweet Crude and Brent Crude have headed south; and are now at approximately $77.81 for Light Sweet Crude and below $90.00 for Brent Crude.
- 12: Special Meeting of EXCO, 15 June 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 24.06.2012
- At EXCO on Tuesday this week officials provided a comprehensive oral briefing on the SHELCO application.
- 13: St Helena: Queen's Birthday Honours 2012 - Edith Timm Awarded MBE - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 24.06.2012
- “I am delighted that Edith Timm has been honoured with an MBE in The Queen’s Birthday Honours announced on 16 June.
- 14: St Helena CHANGES TO MEDICAL CHARGES FROM 1 JULY 2012 - St Helena (Health) - 24.06.2012
- The Health and Social Welfare Directorate has recently completed a review of medical fees and charges
- 15: St Helena: TRIMMING OF TREES AND SHRUBS OVERHANGING THE HIGHWAY - St Helena (Environment) - 24.06.2012
- At a recent meeting of the Highway Authority it was noted that overhanging trees and shrubs were a problem across the Island.
- 16: St Helena: ROCKFALL PROTECTION DOES ITS JOB - St Helena (Environment) - 24.06.2012
- On Monday, the Roads Section was told that a large rock had been spotted in a Rockfall Fence above upper Jamestown.
- 17: BRITAIN COMES FULL CIRCLE WITH ARGENTINA OVER GOVERNMENT LETTERS - Falklands (Business News) - 19.06.2012
- British Prime Minister, the Rt Hon Mr David Cameron MP has refused to accept a letter about the Falkland Islands from Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner at the G20 summit in Mexico; and has come full circle from last week’s episode at the UN Committee of 24 on decolonisation in New York by Argentina’s president when she refused to accept a letter from the Falkland Islands Government.
- 18: A HELLO AND GOOD-BYE TO FR GODFREY - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- During late May and early June the Rev Fr Godfrey Joseph Naika SMA from Kenya has been visiting the Falklands to see what parish work is like and to meet the people. He lived at the Priest’s House and visited parishioners as well as others in the Community.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 19: PICKLES FLIES FALKLANDS FLAG TO MARK ‘LIBERATION DAY’ - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- Communities Secretary Eric Pickles raised the flag of the Falkland Islands today outside the Department for Communities and Local Government in Whitehall, London, to mark the Island’s Liberation Day and the start of a new flag flying programme by the Department in this Jubilee year.
- 20: ALL SET FOR MIDWINTER SWIM 2012 - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- If you fancy a bit of winter madness then try a midwinter swim at Surf Bay on Saturday, 23 June beginning at 1400hrs LMT.
- 21: EARL HENRY ELECTED COUNCILLOR FOR THE WEST CONSTITUENCY - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- Mr Earl Hilton Henry of Thompson’s Hill has been duly elected to serve as a Member of the St Helena Legislative Council for the West Constituency.
- 22: Report by Councillor Gunnell Published on SHG website - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- Councillor Cyril Gunnell’s report on the First International Parliamentary Conference on the Millennium Development Goals - hosted by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and held in London from 28th November -2nd December 2011 is now available on the SHG website and can be found under the recent key documents section of the homepage.
- 23: St Helena EXCO meeting of 12 June 2012 - St Helena (Legal) - 16.06.2012
- I’m sure many of you will have happy memories of the Jubilee weekend, whether you were joining in the excellent celebrations here in Jamestown in such glorious weather, or watching on television the various events in London including the extraordinary pageant on the River Thames. My thanks to Councillor Derek Thomas and his team for ensuring that the Jubilee weekend here was such a success.
- 24: An Open Letter from St Helena Police - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- I have received a report concerning the actions of the Sea Rescue Service on 31st May 2012 that I believe should be brought to the attention of the St Helena public The search and rescue operation involved crew and local volunteers and I would particularly like to make mention of the part played by Mr Trevor Thomas in using his local knowledge of the fishing waters to direct the sea rescue boat to assist another local boat in trouble.
- 25: St Helena: NEXT FINANCIAL SECRETARY APPOINTED - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- Colin Owen, St Helena Government’s Chief Auditor, has been selected as St Helena’s new Financial Secretary and will succeed Paul Blessington when he leaves the Island at the end of August. Colin Owen’s appointment, following shortlisting and interview, comes after a rigorous recruitment process and a high level of interest in the post.
- 26: ST Helena: NEW TOBACCO RULES TO BE IN FORCE 1 SEPTEMBER 2012 - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- Under the new Tobacco Control Ordinance which comes into force on 1 September 2012 all enclosed or substantially enclosed premises and vehicles used by the public shall be smoke free, and the age to purchase or smoke tobacco will increase from 16 to 18 years.
- 27: St Helena: STATEMENT FROM BASIL READ/SHG - St Helena (Business News) - 16.06.2012
- It is not Basil Read policy to divulge details of the employee/employer relationship. However, recent reports in the media touch on this subject and are not entirely factual.
- 28: JUBILEE MEDAL ROLL-CALL COMPLETED - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- Two members of the Emergency Services who were unavoidably unavailable last Monday during the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations, today received their Diamond Jubilee Medals from His Excellency, Governor Capes.
- 29: 60 ENDEMICS PLANTED AT PLANTATION TO MARK QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE - St Helena (Agriculture) - 16.06.2012
- 60 endemic Gumwood trees were planted in the Gardens of Plantation House, HE The Governor’s Residence, on Tuesday, 5th June 2012, to commemorate 60 years of the Queen’s reign.
- 30: Falklands War bombing of Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram remembered in Christ Church Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- A Service to commemorate the 30th anniversary of one of the bleakest days of the Falklands War when Welsh Guards on the Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram were subjected to a deadly Argentine bombing raid was held in Christ Church Cathedral at 1000hrs on 08 June 2012.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) voa FITV
- 31: War Exhibition opened in St Mary’s Parish Hall - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood has opened the Stanley Museum’s war exhibition in St Mary’s parish hall on Wednesday, 06 June 2012
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV)
- 32: Statement by the Honourable Roger Edwards to the C-24 Committee - Falklands (Business News) - 15.06.2012
- Mr Chairman, distinguished delegates, ladies and gentlemen, I am Roger Edwards, an elected Member of the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly and I take great pleasure in making this statement to you all today on this our thirtieth Anniversary of Liberation from the illegal invasion and 74 day occupation by the armed forces of Argentina.
- 33: Statement by The Honourable Mike Summers OBE - Falklands (Business News) - 15.06.2012
- Mr Chairman, Excellencies. I last addressed this Committee 8 years ago in 2004. I am now in my 14th year as an elected representative of the Falkland Islands Government, and am pleased to be able once again put the case for the Falkland Islands. But I am also disappointed that it should still be necessary to do so, when the people of the Falkland Islands are so clear about their wish to retain their current political arrangements.
- 34: Prime Minister’s Speech at Falkland Islands Government reception - Falklands (Business News) - 15.06.2012
- The Prime Minister gave a speech at a Falkland Islands Government reception held in London.
Prime Minister David Cameron said:
- 35: ARGENTINA REFUSES TALKS WITH FALKLANDS - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.06.2012
- Argentine President Christina Fernandez de Kirchner has refused an invitation from the Falkland Islands Government to sit down and talk about issues that matter to both sides. In turn the Falkland Islands Government expressed incredible disappointment that despite claims of only wanting to sit down and discuss the Falkland Islands, President Kirchner has refused to accept an invitation Falkland Islands Government to do just that.
- 36: WIND AND SNOW GREET FALKLANDS’ LIBERATION DAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2012
- People in the Falkland Islands marked the 30th anniversary of Falklands Liberation with a service at Christ Church Cathedral led by the Rev Dr Richard Hines.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV
- 37: JEREMY BROWNE MP – A MESSAGE TO THE FALKLAND ISLANDERS - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2012
- It is a huge honour to address you here in Stanley on what is a particularly poignant Liberation Day. As ever this day carries mixed emotions.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV
- 38: FALKLAND ISLANDERS TO HOLD REFERENDUM ON SOVEREIGNTY - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government has announced today that a referendum on Falklands’ sovereignty will be held during the first half of 2013.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) From Left to right: MLA Jan Cheek, H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood, MLA Barry Elsby, MLA Ian Hansen, MLA Sharon Halford, Mr Jeremy Browne, MP, Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and MLA Gavin Short
- 39: HM THE QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE – A LOOK BACK - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.06.2012
- The Infant/Junior School PTA and Argos Limited sponsored a “Queen’s Night Dance on Saturday, 02 June, featuring fancy dress as well as a 3 course meal from Malvina House Hotel.
- 40: The Count and the Cherry Girl - Falklands (Education) - 05.06.2012
- If you think you have seen this before - you haven't. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 41: ‘LEGAL HIGHS’ BANNED IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 02.06.2012
- Following concerns from the Medical Department and members of the public, Executive Council this week approved an Order that prohibits the import of psychoactive substances (known as legal highs) with immediate effect.
- 42: NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR 2012 - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.06.2012
- Nominations from members of the community are sought for the 2012 Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour.
- 43: PROPOSALS FOR THE FALKLANDS’ 2012 BUDGET - Falklands (Legal) - 02.06.2012
- Whilst this will be the fifth FIG budget I have been involved in preparing this is the first time I have presented a budget to the Assembly. Hopefully this process will have run as smoothly as it has for my predecessors. This is also the first year that the Budget Select Committee has begun its deliberations earlier in the year. By establishing this Committee in February the process has been streamlined and Honourable Members have been able to make decisions in a number of meetings over a three month period rather than the informal process previously in place.
- 44: Report of Executive Council Meeting held on Tuesday 22nd May 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 02.06.2012
- The Meeting was attended by Hon Jan Cheek, Hon Sharon Halford and Hon Mike Summers OBE standing in for Hon Dick Sawle, plus the officials who were all present.
- 45: Falklands Have Their Say at Quito Seminar - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Chairman, distinguished delegates, Ladies and Gentlemen. I am Roger Edwards, an elected Member of the Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly. I stand before you today to demand that Falkland Islanders are accepted as a people with the very basic of human rights, the right to determine their own future, the right of self-determination.
- 46: FALKLANDS BUDGET HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- 1. £2.9M funding for economic development in tourism, rural development, oil and communication links
- 47: Falklands Proposed Finance Bill 2012 - Falklands (Legal) - 02.06.2012
- The purpose of this Bill is to give effect to the increases in various allowances, benefits, charges, contributions, fees and penalties provided for under the laws of the Falkland Islands. It also makes new provisions in relation to certain fees and charges. These changes relate to the proposals in my budget speech and can be summarised as follows:
- 48: MLA Edwards Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I personally would like to thank the Staff of the Treasury for producing this year’s budget.
- 49: The Hon Mr Gavin Short MLA Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- I wish to second the Motion.
- 50: The Hon Mrs Jan Cheek MLA Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/12 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, as the Honourable Roger Edwards has pointed out, we did a lot of work on this.
- 51: The Hon Mr Mike Summers MLA Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, it’s my 14th Annual Budget and none of them has ever been easy. This one perhaps was only slightly easier than some of those in the last six to eight years where we started off with potential deficits of three, four or five Million (Pounds) and had to work out how to cut expenditure because income was not rising.
- 52: The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to say a few words. In many ways this budget is not dissimilar to numerous budgets we have passed before in that whatever the outcome it will not be welcomed by all in the community.
- 53: The Hon Dr Barry Elsby MLA Speaks to the Finance Bill 2012/13 - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, my comments are brief. This is my first budget and it has been an eye-opener into how difficult it is to balance wishes and expectations against the realities of the financial situation. I would to echo the Honourable Roger Edwards’ comments when he thanked everyone for all the work that’s gone on behind the scenes.
- 54: Falklands Delegation Attends C-24 Quito Meeting - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Two Young Falkland Islanders accompanied The Hon Mr Roger Edwards MLA to Quito, Ecuador to attend the United Nations Special Committee on Decolonization — also known as the C-24. The Pacific Regional Seminar was held from 30 May to 1 June this year.
- 55: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR IAN HANSEN - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, In rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I apologise for being repetitive I am sure for most of what I will comment on has already been commented on by Colleagues. However, these will be my opinions and views.
- 56: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR GAVIN SHORT - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, honourable Members, In rising to speak to the Motion for Adjournment I would like to, as promised on Wednesday, address some of the items in the Governor’s State of the Nation speech and indeed others that flowed from the budget. I guess the budget would be a good place to start.
- 57: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON DR BARRY ELSBY - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to take the opportunity of making a few brief comments.
- 58: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MRS SHARON HALFORD - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I shall be brief.
- 59: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR MIKE SUMMERS - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, just a few brief remarks. I would like to give my customary remarks to the Treasury Staff for the work they put into preparing the Budget. Just because the thanks is customary doesn’t mean it’s any less sincerely delivered.
- 60: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR ROGER EDWARDS - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr speaker, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I would like to start on the subject of legal highs and thank the Attorney General in this department for all the hard work they put in to bring this so swiftly forward.
- 61: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MRS JAN CHEEK - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, first I’d like to join those who have already formally welcomed Keith Padgett as our Chief Executive now that he is in the substantive role. I have worked with him on and off for a number of years now.
- 62: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR KEITH PADGETT - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- Mr Speaker, as a man of few words I will keep it short. I have been in this House many times over the last 11 years, as has been said this is my first time as substantive Chief Executive. I sat in two seats around this table – I sat in several seats the other side of that barrier and I listened to various speakers on various things.
- 63: Falklands: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE COMMANDER BRITISH FORCES SOUTH ATLANTIC ISLANDS - Falklands (Business News) - 02.06.2012
- I have said it before in this Assembly but may I take the opportunity to state again, what a privilege it is for those of us in the Forces to live and to work in this vibrant and open community.
- 64: Government House Reception to Honour Richard Cockwell - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.06.2012
- A reception to Honour Richard Cockwell, OBE was held at Government House on Friday, 01 June 2011.