|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | October 2010|
Articles published in October 2010Select individual articles below or view all 42 articles on one page.
42 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (36)||Jun (27)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I, too would like to welcome. H. E. and his wife to the Islands. Hopefully we will be able to work well together for the continued betterment of the Islands.
- 2: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 3: Mr Bill Luxton's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 28.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I would like to join my colleagues in welcoming our new Governor Hayward and his wife, Louise to the Islands. I hope they have a long and happy time here.
- 4: Emma Edwards' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 28.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I actually had a long closing speech on the smoking ban and how we are all going to be happy to support it etc., etc.
- 5: Falklands GPC Brief 25/10/10 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 28.10.2010
- General Purposes Committee met on Wednesday, 20 October 2010 and on Monday, 25 October the Honourable Gavin Short gave the media a brief about what happened at the meeting.
- 6: St Helena EXCO Report 26 October 2010 - St Helena (Legal) - 28.10.2010
- This EXCO followed hard on the heels of Monday’s LEGCO. Such a proximity of high level meetings is unusual, but it is a reminder that the legislature and the executive are working in harmony as the driving forces in our government.
- 7: St Helena Complaints Procedure for the Hospital and Outpatient Services - St Helena (Health) - 28.10.2010
- The Public Health and Social Services Department issued an interim complaints procedure for the hospital and outpatient services in a press release dated 16 September 2010.
- 8: St Helena News Media Services Update - St Helena (Business News) - 28.10.2010
- The future of the St Helena News Media Services ie Radio St Helena and the Herald, has been under discussion for quite some with a view to phasing out the SHG annual operating subsidy over a reasonable period of time.
- 9: Roger Edwards' Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 27.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, I, too, welcome Governor Nigel Hayward and his wife, Louise to the Falklands and wish him an enjoyable and productive time while he’s here.
- 10: Jan Cheek's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 27.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I was deferring to the Honourable Sharon Halford but she obviously prefers me to speak first.
- 11: Dick Sawle's Motion for Adjournment Speech - Falklands (Legal) - 27.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, firstly I would like to change the subject completely if I may to brighter matters and I would like to welcome our new Governor, Nigel Haywood and his wife, Louise to the Falkland Islands and I would like to say to them that we are an interesting lot and we have a very lively but small community here in the Falklands, which I am sure they will enjoy being amongst.
- 12: Death of a Human Being no Cause for Joy in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.10.2010
- Former Argentine President, Nestor Kirchner (60), husband of current Argentine President Christina Fernandez De Kirchner has died of a heart attack in Argentina. According to CNN the former president died at approximately 0930hrs on Wednesday, 27 October 2010 in hospital at Calafate in the Patagonia region of Argentina.
- 13: Minimum Wage Proposed for Falklands' Workers - Falklands (Business News) - 25.10.2010
- Work has been on-going for several months now on the development of a minimum wage for the Falklands. I asked Councillor Short what stage the issue was at currently.
- 14: St Helena Legislative Council to Meet - St Helena (Legal) - 25.10.2010
- Legislative Council is to meet formally on Friday 22 October to discuss a range of issues affecting the Island. This is expected to be a two-day meeting which will be aired live, via Radio St Helena.
- 15: Elections Announced for Ascension Islands - S.Atlantic (Gen - Government) - 25.10.2010
- Yesterday, 19th October, was the closing date for nominations for election to the Ascension Island Council. The minimum number of nominations required for a Council of five is six.
- 16: Falklands Legislative Assembly Meeting 22/10/10 (Part 1) - Falklands (Legal) - 25.10.2010
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 1030hrs on Friday, 22 October 2010.
- 17: Falklands Legislative Assembly Meeting 22/10/10 Part 2 - Falklands (Legal) - 25.10.2010
- The bill has been published in the Gazette so a second reading was required. The Chief Executive read out an explanation of the Bill prior to the second reading.
- 18: Falklands Welcome New Governor - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 17.10.2010
- Ceremony, parade and party greeted H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood on his first day as Governor of the Falkland Islands.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood takes the oath of office and the attorney General, Mr David Pickup looks on.
- 19: St Helena EXCO Report – 12th October 2010 - St Helena (Legal) - 17.10.2010
- I was pleased to be able to Chair an EXCO so soon after my return from the UK as it enabled me to catch up on what has happened in my absence as well as giving me the chance to give Hon. Members more detailed information about my meetings in London.
- 20: St Helena Questions and Answers on the MOU - St Helena (Business News) - 17.10.2010
- On 22 July 2010, the Secretary of State for International Development, Andrew Mitchell, announced HMG’s intention to finance an airport on St Helena subject to a number of specific conditions.
- 21: Advisers’ Visits to St Helena - St Helena (Business News) - 17.10.2010
- In my last report, issued in early June, mention was made of the expected visit of Mr Keith Munns, the FCO Prison Adviser. Mr Munns was on Island from 14 to 22 July to review progress since his earlier visit in February 2009. The report on his latest visit has been received and is being considered by the relevant officials.
- 22: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report 14/10/10) - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- MS: Quite a lot of athletes have already left of course and gone away but there’s probably about two and a half thousand/three thousand athletes I guess who have just now paraded into the main stadium to a huge cacophony of noise.
- 23: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (13/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- It’s the last day of competition for the Falkland Islands at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. Team manager, Mike Summers, describes how the team have been doing today.
- 24: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (12/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- Falklands Full Bore shooters have been in action today at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. Full Boar team manager, Derek Pettersson (DP) reports on how Gareth Goodwin and Derek Goodwin performed.
- 25: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (11/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- The Falklands team at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi have had a busy weekend of competition. Team Manager, Mike Summers (MS) reports on how Badminton players fared on Saturday.
- 26: Falklands Planning and Building Committee Report (08/10/10) - Falklands (Business News) - 17.10.2010
- This month’s meeting of the Planning and Building Committee, chaired by Councillor Sharon Halford, assembled in the Liberation Room in the Secretariat to review ten applications seeking planning permission
- 27: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (10/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- The Falklands shooting team have begun competing at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Team Manager, Mike Summers, reports on how the pistol shooters have fared.
- 28: 28th Annual 'Provocation' Begins with Argentine Protest - Falklands (Business News) - 12.10.2010
- Indeed the Falklands and UK media have been invited in years past to observe and photograph missile firing at Port Herriot.
- 29: FIRS COMMONWEALTH GAMES REPORT - Falklands (Education) - 09.10.2010
- The Falkland Islands team at the Commonwealth Games have secured another win. Following their victory earlier this week against Samoa, the Falklands’ lawn bowlers won another match today.
- 30: Tourism Information Release: Governor’s Cup Yacht Race 2010 - St Helena (Tourism/Travel) - 08.10.2010
- In the last five years yachtsmen have represented 11% of the Island’s total arrivals. Alongside the biennial Governor’s Cup, the yacht market is one that offers opportunity for growth and development in the tourism sector.
- 31: Formal Response Received on Draft Memorandum of Understanding - St Helena (Business News) - 08.10.2010
- The St Helena Government has received a formal response from the Department for International Development (DFID) on the first draft of the Memorandum of Understanding which was sent to them on Friday 24 September.
- 32: St Helena ExCo Report 55 - St Helena (Business News) - 08.10.2010
- As I anticipated in my ExCo broadcast on 14th September, we needed an additional meeting yesterday to maintain momentum with the many reform programmes now being taken forward by your elected Members.
- 33: St Helena Arrival of Public Sector Modernisation Adviser - St Helena (Education) - 08.10.2010
- Public sector modernisation continues within the St Helena Government and on Sunday 10 October, Robin Swaisland will arrive to advise SHG on next steps with the programme. In addition he will help to implement necessary changes to the way Government works.
- 34: St Helena Solving Electricity Problems - St Helena (Business News) - 08.10.2010
- Following recent unplanned power outages during a period of strong winds, electricity was successfully restored at the beginning of last week and consumers have continued to receive an uninterrupted power supply.
- 35: St Helena's Councillors to Attend Meetings Overseas - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 08.10.2010
- Councillor Tara Thomas, Chair of the Economy and Finance Committee and Councillor Tony Green, Chair of the Education and Employment Committee, have been nominated by Elected Members to represent St Helena at overseas meetings this year.
- 36: North Freo raid nabs islands thief - Falklands (Agriculture) - 08.10.2010
- A Busselton man faces three years’ jail and a $36,000 fine after pleading guilty to stealing $63,000 of dairy equipment from the Falkland Islands.
- 37: A CPA Brief With Dick Sawle MPA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 08.10.2010
- The Hon Mr Dick Sawle has returned from a CPA conference in Kenya and on Friday, 01 October 2010 he briefed the media on what went on at the conference. He mentioned there was a small countries conference followed by a plenary conference.
- 38: COMMONWEALTH GAMES REPORT FOR WEDNESDAY, 06 OCTOBER 2010: - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2010
- Mike Summers says that he now has been able to establish that the ill person is from Northern Ireland and that the report in the HT was in error.
- 39: HMS GLOUCESTER visits Stanley - Falklands (Education) - 08.10.2010
- HMS Gloucester is visiting Port Stanley 5-6 October for the first time during her tenure as the Atlantic Patrol Task (South) ship.
- 40: Falklands Programme for New Governor - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 08.10.2010
- The Swearing In Ceremony for the Governor Designate, Mr Nigel Haywood CVO will take place in the Court and Assembly Chamber, Town Hall on Saturday 16 October 2010 commencing at 1500 hrs. Because of limited space invited guests only are able to attend this ceremony.
- 41: ALL SYSTEMS “GO” ON HMS GLOUCESTER - Falklands (Education) - 08.10.2010
- Members of Legislative Assembly, Media, government departments and the private sector were invited to lunch and a tour of HMS Gloucester on Wednesday, 06 October 2010.
- 42: Commonwealth Games Bowls Report - Falklands (Health) - 08.10.2010
- Mike Summers tells us what's happening at the Commonwealth Games.