|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | January 2010|
Articles published in January 2010Select individual articles below or view all 35 articles on one page.
35 articles published
|Jan (45)||Feb (28)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (44)||May (25)|
|Jan (32)||Feb (30)||Mar (33)|
|Apr (34)||May (37)||Jun (64)|
|Jul (56)||Aug (62)||Sep (59)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (43)||Dec (35)|
|Jan (23)||Feb (25)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (51)||May (47)||Jun (46)|
|Jul (53)||Aug (48)||Sep (47)|
|Oct (51)||Nov (27)||Dec (32)|
- 1: TONY BANKS GREETED WITH ENTHUSIASM AT 1982 MEMORIAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- Unlike his experience on a terraced street in Liverpool, Tony Banks was greeted with warm enthusiasm when he completed his yomp from San Carlos to Stanley via Goose Green.
- 2: CDR DONDE TO DEPART FALKLANDS ON MONDAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- Commander Dilip Donde, a naval officer seeking to become the first Indian to sail solo around the world, will be departing from the FIC jetty at 1000hrs on Monday, 01 February 2010.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPA HMS York Shadows commander Donde's yacht
- 3: DR Chris Doyle’s Statement About Telecommunications in the Falklands: - Falklands (Business News) - 30.01.2010
- The sector is widely recognised as being an important neighbour for economic development and in the Falklands it also plays a pivotal role in enabling social cohesion.
- 4: FALKLANDS PUBLIC MEETING REPORT 26.01.10 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.01.2010
- A public meeting was held in the Court and Assembly Chamber of the town hall at 1700hrs on Tuesday, 26 January 2010. Present were The Hon Dick Sawle (DS), the Hon Jan Cheek (JC), The Hon Roger Edwards (RW), The Hon Emma Edwards (EE – Chair), The Hon Bill Luxton (BL), The Hon Sharon Halford (SH) and The Hon Glen Ross (GR) The Hon Gavin Short (GS) did not attend presumably due to work commitments.
- 5: THE REV PAUL EVANS RETURNS TO HELP OUT AT THE TAB - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- The Rev Paul Evans, who paid a pastoral visit to the Tabernacle Church during June and July last year travelled back to Malawi in November and is currently in Zimbabwe, his plans are that he will return to the UK in late February and already has plans for a return visit to the Falkland Islands.
- 6: Falkland Islands Tourist Board Facebook page reaches 1,600 fans - Falklands (Tourism/Travel) - 30.01.2010
- The official Facebook page for the Falkland Islands has attracted over 1,600 fans in its first five months.
- 7: St Helena Meetings Commence with Education Advisors - St Helena (Education) - 30.01.2010
- The visiting Education Advisors are meeting with Councillors from the new Education and Employment Committee and staff from the Education Department to discuss education priorities for the next three years and beyond.
- 8: Argentine Territorial Claim Gets Short Sharp Shrift - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 24.01.2010
- The Argentine law, Argentine Legislation (Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands and the Britis passed in early December from an argentine point of view defines the borders of the southernmost Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica and the Southern Atlantic Islands, including within the region's borders the Falkland Islands, known as Las Malvinas in Spanish, and part of Antarctica.
- 9: HAITI APPEAL FUND SET UP AT STANDARD CHARTERED BANK - Falklands (Geological Events) - 24.01.2010
- Mr Keith Biles has helped to set up an appeal fund at Standard Chartered Bank for Haiti earthquake relief. Last week that Caribbean Island was struck by a 7.0 earthquake that has killed well over 100,000 people especially in the area of Puerto Au Prince
- 10: Education Department Plans for Next Three Years - St Helena (Education) - 24.01.2010
- The Education Department is making plans to further improve the standard of education on the Island.
- 11: Planning and Building Committee Report (07/01/10) - Falklands (Business News) - 24.01.2010
- This was to be a busy meeting with no less than seventeen applications seeking planning permission.
- 12: BRITISH FORCES SOUTH ATLANTIC ISLANDS’ THISTLE PULL - Falklands (Environment) - 24.01.2010
- Personnel serving at the Mount Pleasant Complex have been out battling thistles at Mare Harbour and Bertha’s Beach in support of the Falklands Conservation Society’s programme.
- 13: FALKLANDS ARE “GO” FOR OIL EXPLORATION - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 24.01.2010
- Desire Chairman, Stephen Phipps has confirmed that the exploration rig, Ocean Guardian, is progressing well and scheduled to arrive in Falklands waters early in February, weather and sea conditions depending.
- 14: Commodore Bannerjee and Commander Donde visit HMS YORK & HMS CLYDE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.01.2010
- Commodore Bannerjee and Commander Donde took the time out of a hectic repair schedule to visit their naval counterparts, HMS YORK and HMS CLYDE.
- 15: NVQs AND CERTIFICATES PRESENTED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Education) - 24.01.2010
- Certificates and NVQs were presented to candidates at a Government House reception on Tuesday evening by Mr Rhys Hughes, External Verifier from City & Guilds and Mr Paul Martinez, the Acting Governor.
- 16: Summary of Extraordinary Executive Council Meeting 18 January 2010 - Falklands (Legal) - 24.01.2010
- An extraordinary meeting of Executive Council took place Monday 18 January to consider oil industry related papers. The first was to recommend to the Governor the forwarding to the Secretary of State for approval a Consent to Drill application from Rockhopper Exploration.
- 17: British Forces welcome Commander Donde to Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.01.2010
- The Falkland Islands, the United Kingdom and British Forces South Atlantic Islands were delighted to welcome Commander Donde to Stanley as he reached the half point in his epic and potentially record breaking journey around the globe.
- 18: Falklands’ Oil Department Activities Heat Up - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 24.01.2010
- The Falklands’ Oil Department along with Dr Phil Richards of British Geological Survey (BGS) continue to work feverishly on the final legal paperwork allowing operators to drill.
- 19: HISTORY MAKING YACHTSMAN ARRIVES IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.01.2010
- Commander Dilip Donde, a naval officer seeking to become the first Indian to sail solo around the world, has arrived at FIPASS in Stanley, Falkland Islands at approximately 1100hrs LMT on Saturday 16 January 2010 aboard his yaht, 'Mhandei'. His yacht was met by a flotilla of launches and yachts at the mouth of Port William and the entourage made its way past the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse and through the narrows.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 20: South Atlantic Airbridge Update - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 16.01.2010
- Air Tahiti Nui is contracted for the flights between the UK to Falkland Islands up to and including the 20 Jan 10 departure from Brize Norton.
- 21: EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT POST UNCERTAIN - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.01.2010
- The post of Head of Executive Management for the Falkland Islands Government will now not be filled and may be reconsidered by Assembly Members
- 22: 25 ENGINEER REGIMENT ARRIVE FOR EXERCISE KELP EAGLE - S.Atlantic (Gen - Government) - 15.01.2010
- 25 Engineer Regiment is one of two Air Support Engineer Regiments who provide direct support to the RAF, under command of 12 (Air Support) Engineer Group.
- 23: Legislative Assembly Report - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.01.2010
- Jan Cheek tells us what happened during this month.
- 24: JANE CAMERON REMEMBERED - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.01.2010
Jane was a child of these Islands, born 60 years ago tomorrow less than a mile from this Cathedral – the daughter and granddaughter of sheep farmers on her father’s side and the granddaughter of a former Colonial Secretary and Governor on her mother’s.
(As Read out by Donald Cameron on Monday, 11 January 2010)
- 25: FIOGA Certificates Presented at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2010
- A presentation of FIOGA Certificates for the Falklands’ Golf Team took place at Government House at 1800hrs on Wednesday, 06 January 2010.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Left - Kevin Clapp, Centre, Steve Vincent, Rig, Rod Tuckwood
- 26: Festive lunch for de-miners held at seamen’s mission - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2010
- Alison Ward tells us more!
Photo (c) Alison Ward
- 27: DOYLE REPORT TO BE CONSIDERED AT EXCO - Falklands (Business News) - 14.01.2010
- On Wednesday evening at 1700hrs Members of Legislative Assembly confirmed to the Chamber of Commerce what was heard over the radio at lunchtime, that the Doyle Report will be considered at EXCO. They went on to say that it is possible the report will be released to the public on 19 January.
- 28: Falklands - Book Launch for Dave Eynon - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- Dave Eynon signs copies of his book entitled “Beneath Falkland Island Waters” at the Boathouse Café on Friday, 11 December 2009. Photo (c) Leeann Eynon
- 29: Albatross presentation at Chamber of Commerce - Falklands (Environment) - 13.01.2010
- Anton Wolfaardt presented aspects of his work with Albatrosses and Petrels on Tristan da Cunha and Gough Islands during an evening at the Chamber of Commerce Function Room.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 30: 'Ascot Ladies' Raise Money for Charity - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The photo at the top shows the Ladies – Alison Ward, Cathy Jacobsen, Tanzi Jacobsen, Julie Courtney and Theresa Lang and the Juniors – left to right – Louise Williams, Tiegan Curtis and Tanisha Courtney with the Cancer Support and Awareness cheque
- 31: Planning and Building Report (07/01/10) - Falklands (Business News) - 13.01.2010
- This was to be a busy meeting with no less than seventeen applications seeking planning permission. However, five of these sought retrospective consent, the development having already been carried out, with no less than four of these being the erection of a fence over one -metre height on a roadside boundary.
- 32: Elizabeth Medal for Ann Reid - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- At a reception at Government House on Tuesday, 05 January 2010 Mrs Ann Reid became the first person in the Falkland Islands to receive the Elizabeth Medal and Memorial Scroll.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) It was a family loss that meant so much to the Falklands.
- 33: Falklands Legislative Assembly Meeting (18/12/09) Part 1 - Falklands (Legal) - 05.01.2010
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place at 1030hrs on Friday, 18 December 2009.
- 34: Legislative Assembly 18/12/09 Part 2 - Falklands (Legal) - 05.01.2010
- Motion for Adjournment speeches
- 35: Prime Minister Reinforces Self Determination for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.01.2010
- 2009 has been another year of significant change for the Falkland Islands. Your democracy was further strengthened by your new Constitution and by the elections which took place in November when an unprecedented and high voter turn-out resulted in a totally new Legislative Assembly. I wish the new Assembly Members well for their terms in office.