|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (53) - Archived (5483) - All (5536)
- 1: Dominican Republic Names First Robotic Surgery Unit - S.Atlantic (Health) - 04.03.2014
- This week, world-renowned robotic prostate surgeon, David B. Samadi, MD, joined President Danilo Medina of the Dominican Republic to inaugurate and unveil the first Samadi Robotic Surgical Institute at the Hospital Metropolitano de Santiago (HOMS), pioneering robotic surgery in the Dominican Republic. While there, Dr. Samadi was honored for his humanitarian efforts in prostate cancer, and performed the first-ever robotic prostate surgery in the Dominican Republic.
- 2: BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL AWARDED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.02.2014
- A special investiture took place at government House on Valentines’ Day. Mrs Anita Browning, Head Chef at Government House, was presented with her British Empire Medal by H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 3: LANDMARK REINDEER ERADICATION PROJECT HELPS PROTECT SOUTH GEORGIA’S NATIVE BIODIVERSITY - S.Georgia (Business News) - 24.02.2014
- Dr Martin Collins writes that: The Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (GSGSSI) is pleased to announce the completion of a major project to eradicate reindeer from the island of South Georgia. The project, which was undertaken during two austral summers, included the humane removal of over 6,600 non-native reindeer from the island.
- 4: South Georgia's Discovery House Reopened - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 24.02.2014
- The South Georgia Newsletter writes that extensive refurbishment of the historic Discovery House was completed on January 9th the completion was marked by a communal event. The work has turned it from an empty shell of a building into accommodation and offices for researchers visiting King Edward Point.
- 5: Three Taiwanese Fishermen Missing in Falklands’ Waters - Falklands (Business News) - 24.02.2014
- The Royal Falkland Islands’ Police have reported that three fishermen are missing from a Taiwanese jigger.
- 6: Falklands: Executive Council Report 12 February 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 24.02.2014
- Although there were just four papers for this meeting there was some substantial business to consider.
- 7: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON DR BARRY ELSBY MLA - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 17.02.2014
- Mr Speaker I had visions of that pot of pennies and two-pence’ on your mantle-piece.
- 8: URUGUAYAN PARLIAMENTARIANS ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT TRADE LINKS WITH THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 17.02.2014
- Deputy Trobo National Party Deputy and three other Parliamentarians, Fitzgerald Cantero Colorado Party Deputy, Daniel Mañana National Party Deputy and Daniel Radio Independent Party Deputy held a press conference at the Malvina House Hotel in Stanley on Thursday, 13 February 2014.
- 9: FCO MINISTER IN FALKLANDS FAMILIARISATION VISIT - Falklands (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- The Rt Hon Mr Hugo Swire MP, Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, has been visiting the Falklands this week. His responsibilities extend to the Falklands and he has said it was a huge privilege and honour to come for a visit.
- 10: St Helena: WHARF CLOSURE - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- Further to the announcement regarding the closure of the Wharf on the afternoon of Thursday 6 February
- 11: BYE-ELECTION 2014 WRIT OF ELECTION AND NEW REGISTER OF ELECTORS PUBLISHED - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- Governor Capes has today issued the Writ of Election, for the 12 March Bye-Election.
- 12: St Helena: EXCO MEETING ¡V Tuesday 11 February 2014 - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- Open to the Public from 9.30am Executive Council will meet on Tuesday 11 February 2014 in the Council Chamber.
- 13: OVERSEAS TRAINING TO RAISE EXPERTISE - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- Departing on the RMS on Friday 7 February for a period of overseas training and exposure for the Education and Employment Directorate is Carol Youde
- 14: NEW DEPUTY AIRPORT PROJECT DIRECTOR (ENVIRONMENT AND OPERATIONS) - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- The Air Access Office has appointed a new Deputy Airport Project Director (Environment & Operations) from 27 February 2014.
- 15: St Helena: EDUCATION COMMITTEE MEETING, 22 JANUARY 2014 – SUMMARY - St Helena (Education) - 17.02.2014
- The Education Committee met on 22 January 2014 at the Educati
on Learning Centre. Present at the meeting was Committee Chairman, Christine Scipio-O’Dean,
- 16: ST HELENA IN FIGURES (SHIF) - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- St Helena in figures (SHIF) is a synopsis of the main statistical facts relating to St Helena. It is intended to summarise the Island’s key characteristics.
- 17: FORMAL LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MEETING ¡V FRIDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2014 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.02.2014
- The First Sitting of the Third Meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Friday 14 February 2014 at 10am in the Court House, Jamestown. This session is expected to last for the day and will be broadcast live via SAMS Radio 1.
- 18: St Helena: CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS ¡V SUMMARY PREPARED BY COUNCILLORS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.02.2014
- The Lucy Faithful Report
During discussion of the Lucy Faithful Report, which researched sexual offences against children and young people on St Helena, comments received from the public included:
ƒá ¡§It should be the parents¡¦ responsibility to ensure children are not wandering the streets.¡¨
- 19: St Helena: EXCO REPORT – TUESDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2014 - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 17.02.2014
Executive Council met today, Tuesday 11 February 2014, to consider five items on the open agenda.
- 20: SOLID WASTE PROJECT – MOVING TOWARDS A ‘GREENER’ ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 17.02.2014
- The Solid Waste Project, a major SHG capital project to provide improved waste management systems on St Helena is making good progress.
- 21: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR GAVIN SHORT MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- Honourable Members, I understand that it is your wish that Motion for Adjournment speeches are limited to three minutes in this section. Is that the case -to the nearest half an hour perhaps?
- 22: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MRS PHYL RENDELL MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- In rising to support the Motion, I just want to touch on what has now become quite a topical subject. We just only possibly starting the budget process for the 2014/15 budget.
- 23: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR IAN HANSEN MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the Motion for Adjournment I still am in a slight state of shock about the length of the Honourable Gavin Short’s speech. I think the format we have just seen on portfolio holders reporting to this House is a good format.
- 24: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR MICHAEL POOLE MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker. Firstly I would like to echo the Honourable Ian Hansen’s sentiments regarding the IT Department. Our thanks to the Team there who have moved on to different fields.
- 25: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MRS JAN CHEEK, MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I, too, think that the Honourable Gavin Short was a little disturbed by the assumption that we could change standing rules and orders of this assembly without a formal decision of the House
- 26: MOTION FOR ADJOURNMENT SPEECH OF THE HON MR ROGER EDWARDS MLA 30/01 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 15.02.2014
- Obviously getting to speak last in front of television cameras is very important.
- 27: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 28: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 29: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 30: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 31: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 32: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 33: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 34: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 35: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 36: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 37: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 38: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 39: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 40: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 41: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 42: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 43: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 44: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 45: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 46: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 47: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 48: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 49: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 50: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 51: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 52: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 53: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.