|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (51) - Archived (5629) - All (5680)
- 1: Falkland Islands Government Annual Reception: Speech by the Hon Mr Hugo Swire, MP - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2014
- I visited the Falklands myself for the first time this year. You do not need me to tell you what an extraordinary place it is, with an incredibly precious environmental heritage that rightly deserves every kind of reasonable protection.
- 2: St Helena: ST PAUL’S SWIMMING CLUB RAISES FUNDS - St Helena (Education) - 10.06.2014
- Over the past year, St Paul’s Primary School has operated its own Swimming Club at the Jamestown Pool on Friday afternoons from 3:30 to 4:30.
- 3: NEW SENIOR SOCIAL WORKER - St Helena (Health) - 10.06.2014
- Arriving on the Island on Wednesday 28 May 2014 was new Senior Social Worker, Samantha Dunn.
- 4: DFID RESIDENT REPRESENTATIVE ARRIVES NEXT WEEK - St Helena (Business News) - 10.06.2014
- A new resident representative from the Department for International Development (DfID), Morgan Riley (photo attached), will be arriving to the Island on Tuesday 17 June 2014.
- 5: St Helena: REMINDER - USE OF THE WHARF - St Helena (Business News) - 10.06.2014
- The public are reminded that while construction works are on-going at the Wharf, the area will be open to pedestrians only between the hours of 16.00 & 08.30 Monday to Friday ....
- 6: St Helena: NEW CHIEF SECRETARY SWORN IN - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.06.2014
- Mr Roy Burke, St Helena’s new Chief Secretary was this afternoon sworn in.
- 7: DFID’S INFRASTRUCTURE ADVISER VISITS ST HELENA - Falklands (Business News) - 06.06.2014
- The Department for International Development’s (DFID) Infrastructure Adviser, John Bowker, previously visited the St Helena in November 2013. He returned last week for an advisory visit, to finalise the infrastructure business cases and agree a three-year infrastructure plan for SHG going forward to 2017.
- 8: St Helena: ENVIRONMENTAL DATA AND GIS MANAGER - St Helena (Environment) - 06.06.2014
- Recently arriving to the Island was Samantha Cherrett, Environment and Natural Resources’ (ENRD) new Environmental Data and GIS Manager (Geographical Information Systems), here for 18 months.
- 9: Falklands: GOVERNOR'S ADDRESS TO THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY ON WEDNESDAY 4 JUNE 2014 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, once again the past year has been exciting and challenging for the Falkland Islands and I will outline some of the reasons in this address. I will also set out how the Government responded to those challenges and outline its aims and aspirations for the coming year.
- 10: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY MOTION OF THANKS SPEECHES - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- H. E the Governor Mr Colin Roberts was invited to remain in the Chamber by the Speaker, the Hon Mr Keith Biles to listen to Motion of thanks speeches.
- 11: Motion of Thanks Speech by the Hon Mrs Phyl Rendell: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, in seconding the Motion of Thanks to His Excellency the Governor for his address, I would like firstly to comment on my portfolio, Natural Resources.
- 12: MOTION OF THANKS SPEECH BY DR THE HON BARRY ELSBY - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, in rising to support the Motion I would like to echo the comments made by my previous two colleagues.
- 13: MOTION OF THANKS SPEECH BY THE HON MICHAEL POOLE - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, I would like to add my thanks to the Governor for his address and also associate myself with the earlier thanks that were offered to the UK Government generally for their unwavering support and also to the local Civil Service for their hard work and support of the Government.
- 14: Motion of Thanks Speech by the Hon Mr Roger Edwards, MLA: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Your Excellency, Mr Speaker, Honourable Colleagues, in rising to support the Motion of Thanks I too would like to echo the words that have gone before.
- 15: Motion of Thanks Speech by the Hon Mr Ian Hansen, MLA: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, Your Excellency in your address you mentioned many if not all of the challenges facing the Falklands over the next coming years. In no particular order I will comment on one or two of those.
- 16: Motion of Thanks Speech by the Hon Mrs Jan Cheek, MLA: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, I have been struggling to catch the Speaker’s eye for quite a long time. I thank His Excellency for his address and will talk about just a few of the Items that are included in it.
- 17: Motion of Thanks Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short, MLA: - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- Mr Speaker, Your Excellency, Honourable Members, Ladies and Gentlemen, If I could just perhaps address a couple of points raised in the Governor’s Address to the House? The first place I would start is to associate very much with the comments that went before me.
- 18: Falklands: Executive Council Meeting 03 June 2014 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- This meeting contained a number of papers related to the Budget.
The Draft Estimates were noted and passed onto Budget Select Committee
The Finance Bill and Supplementary Appropriation Bill were noted and will be raised at Legislative Assembly on June 4th
- 19: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY 04 JUNE 2014 Questions for Oral Answer - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 04.06.2014
- The first budget session of Legislative Assembly for 2014 took place in the court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 0900hrs on Wednesday, 04 June 2014. The first order of business was the Governor’s Address to the Nation and the Motion of Thanks Speeches that followed, for which H. E. the Governor Mr Colin Roberts remained.
- 20: ST HELENA TOPS WILDLIFE SURVEY BUT MUST PROTECT PRECIOUS LEGACY - St Helena (Environment) - 03.06.2014
- The recent RSPB wildlife stocktake of the Overseas Territories - the first ever undertaken - has placed the spotlight on St Helena as the jewel in the crown, holding an astonishing 30% of all endemic species on British territory (species found nowhere else on earth). In fact, of all the OTs, this tiny 47 square miles far and away tops the league, with Bermuda coming a distant second.
- 21: The Importance of Biosecurity on St Helena - St Helena (Environment) - 03.06.2014
- Biosecurity is a system of preborder, border and post border controls set up to protect sensitive ecosystems from pests and diseases that pose a threat to the environment, agriculture and public health.
Biosecurity is a system of preborder, border and post border controls set up to protect sensitive ecosystems from pests and diseases that pose a threat to the environment, agriculture and public health.
- 22: St Helena: TEST DRIVE FOR NEW REFUSE VEHICLES - St Helena (Business News) - 03.06.2014
- 03 June 2014 has seen the first practical ‘real-route’ road testing on St Helena of one of the Island’s two new Refuse Collection Vehicles (RCVs), which arrived recently on-Island. The road testing is necessary because on receipt, SHG discovered that the RCVs were 12cm longer than specified.
- 23: The Hon. Roger Edwards MLA Intervention Speech to Pre-C24 - Falklands (Gen - Government) - 22.05.2014
- The United Nations Special Committee on Decolonisation (or C24) meets annually at the United Nations Headquarters in Manhattan. The below speech was delivered by The Hon. Roger Edwards MLA during the Pre-C24 Summit in Fiji. The speech was delivered on the morning of Thursday 22nd May 2014, Falkland Islands time.
- 24: PINK RUNS OVERTAKE THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Health) - 21.05.2014
- Stanley saw PINK on Sunday when 171 members of the public wore all shades of the colour and ran in support of breast cancer awareness.
- 25: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 26: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 27: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 28: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 29: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 30: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 31: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 32: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 33: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 34: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 35: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 36: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 37: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 38: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 39: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 40: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 41: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 42: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 43: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 44: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 45: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 46: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 47: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 48: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 49: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 50: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 51: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.