|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (85) - Archived (5509) - All (5594)
- 1: MESSY CHURCH CELEBRATES TWO YEARS IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.04.2014
- In April Messy Church is celebrating not only Easter, but two birthdays as well!
- 2: Falklands Business Climate Survey Results Awaited - Falklands (Business News) - 21.04.2014
- The FIDC Business Climate Survey 2014 was distributed to businesses electronically on Tuesday the 1st April 2014.
- 3: NEW FALKLANDS ATTORNEY GENERAL TAKES UP HIS POST - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- A new Attorney General, Mr Peter Judge QC, has taken over the post from Mr Mark Lewis, who has completed his contract and left the Falklands.
- 4: Consultation on Support Rural Tax Development Launched - Falklands (Business News) - 21.04.2014
- The introduction of a number of tax reliefs designed to facilitate growth in the rural economy are being considered by the Falkland Islands Government.
- 5: Miss Vivienne Perkins – 1934 to 2014 - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.04.2014
- It is with profound sadness that FINN heard over FIRS that Miss Vivienne Perkins passed away at the King Edward memorial Hospital in Stanley on the morning of Monday, 14 April 2014.
- 6: Falklands Executive Council Report 9 April 2014 - Falklands (Business News) - 21.04.2014
Executive Council this week consisted of 2 parts; the ordinary Executive Council and the Budget Executive Council where papers that need to go to the Budget Select Committee were reviewed and sent on for further discussion and public consultation where appropriate
- 7: St Helena: EXPERT ADVICE ON AUTISM - St Helena (Education) - 21.04.2014
- Jude Ragan (OBE) arrives on Island on 7 April for a month to provide advice to the Education Directorate on Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
- 8: St Helena EXCO MEETING – Tuesday 1 April 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Open to the Public from 11.30am
Executive Council will meet today Tuesday 1 April 2014 in the Council Chamber.
- 9: St Helena EXCO REPORT - TUESDAY 1 APRIL 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Executive Council met today Tuesday 1 April to consider six items on the Open Agenda.
- 10: St Helena: INCINERATION OF CONFISCATED GOODS - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 21.04.2014
- On 13 March 2014 around 10kgs of honey in 23 containers and over 40kgs of assorted seeds, dried leaves, raw spices and untreated wooden artefacts were incinerated in Ruperts Valley.
- 11: NEW CROWN COUNSEL FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- St Helena Island has a new Crown Counsel. Aina Hurley (photo attached) arrived to the Island on Monday 31 March 2014 and is here on a two year contract working in the Attorney General’s Chambers at the Castle.
- 12: NEW HEAD OF HM CUSTOMS & PORT CONTROL for St Helena - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 21.04.2014
- Jonathan Holland recently arrived on St Helena to take on the post of Head of HM Customs and Port Control, on a 3 year contract, replacing his predecessor Peter Henderson.
- 13: St Helena POST AIRPORT SHIPPING UPDATE - St Helena (Business News) - 21.04.2014
- Leaving on the RMS St Helena today after a week on-Island are Matt Young and Kedell Worboys MBE, two of the Directors of St Helena Line (SHL), which is responsible - on behalf of St Helena Government - for entering into and managing a contract for St Helena with a shipping management company, currently Andrew Weir Shipping.
- 14: St Helena WHARF IMPROVEMENTS PROJECT - St Helena (Business News) - 21.04.2014
- Arriving on the RMS on 22 April 2014 will be Simon Quinn from Nicholas O’Dwyer Consulting Engineers and Mathieu Le Gourrierec from CAN France.
- 15: EXCO MEETING – Wednesday 16 April 2014 - St Helena (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Executive Council will meet on Wednesday afternoon, 16 April 2014, in the Council Chamber.
- 16: St Helena: NEW ADVISER FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS - S.Atlantic (Education) - 21.04.2014
- The St Helena Education Directorate is soon to welcome a new Adviser for Primary Education. Zoe Robinson (photo attached) will arrive on 22 April (succeeding Victoria Stapleton) and will play a leading role in helping the Education Directorate to respond to the many changes and challenges that Primary Education will experience over the next few years.
- 17: Two Warships of the French Navy to do Port Call in - St Helena (Business News) - 21.04.2014
- Two warships of the French Navy, Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) Mistral and Stealth Frigate (FLF) La Fayette will do a port call in St Helena and will be moored off the Island from early on Tuesday 15 April.
- 18: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY – THURSDAY, 27 MARCH 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- A meeting of Legislative Assembly took place in the court and Assembly Chamber of the Town Hall at 0900hrs on Thursday, 27 March 2014.
- 19: Legislative Assembly 27 march 2014 Motions - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- That this House recommends the adoption of the Draft Islands’ Plan 2014 to 2018
- 20: Portfolio Report of the Hon Mrs Phyl Rendell, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker. I am going to speak today about Natural Resources.
- 21: Portfolio Report of the Hon Mr Roger Edwards, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable colleagues, firstly let me say a very big welcome to Peter Judge, our new Attorney General who is sitting here with us today and was sworn in earlier.
- 22: Portfolio Report of the Hon Mr Michael Poole, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable Members this is my second portfolio update and similar to my Honourable Colleagues I tend to focus in on three issues today that I didn’t cover in January.
- 23: Portfolio Report of the Hon Mr Gavin Short, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable Members, as is normal I would like to start with a brief gallop around the Public Works Department keeping some headline issues that happened over the past few weeks before concentrating on one section.
- 24: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Honourable Mrs Jan Cheek, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I would like to comment first of all on the fact that we’ve got the biggest audience I can recall for some years. And to welcome especially the students who are in that audience.
- 25: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Honourable Mrs Phyl Rendell, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, in rising to support the Motion, I just wanted to say a few words about our visit to West Falkland and to Goose Green over the last weekend. I have spoken at length about my portfolio so you have heard enough of that.
- 26: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Honourable Mr Mike Summers, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I just wanted to talk today about some overseas issues.
- 27: Motion for Adjournment Speech of the Honourable Mr Gavin Short, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support and speak to the Motion for Adjournment I will probably get myself into all sorts of trouble here because I am going to doing things that you should not do like repeating subjects that have been covered.
- 28: Motion for Adjournment Speech of the Honourable Mr Roger Edwards, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I will be very brief. I think the Honourable Phyllis Rendell stole my notes because my jottings were identical to what she was saying.
- 29: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Honourable Mr Michael Poole, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Thank you Mr Speaker, Honourable members, there are just two things from me.
- 30: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Honourable Dr Barry Elsby, MLA - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, yes, I too am pleased to see many students here today and Byron, as you know, has been working with members and with the staff at Gilbert House.
- 31: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands - Falklands (Legal) - 21.04.2014
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, I would like to thank the Honourable Roger Edwards for his comments regarding my visit to West Falkland last week.
- 32: St Helena MARINE AWARENESS WEEK 2014 - St Helena (Fisheries) - 01.04.2014
- Marine Awareness Week is celebrated annually on St Helena to raise awareness of the importance of the Island’s marine environment, underwater habitats and species.
- 33: FRENCH NAVAL SHIPS TO CALL AT ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 01.04.2014
- On Tuesday 15 April 2014, St Helena will host a one-day call from two major French warships - the 21,300 tonne Force Projection & Command Ship ‘FS Mistral’ and the advanced Frigate ‘FS La Fayette’.
- 34: PROTOCOLS AND POPES - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.03.2014
- Press speculation about Papal help in starting negotiations over the Falkland Islands has been ripe since the Argentine President, Christina Fernandez de Kirchner had lunch with the Pope in his Vatican residence this week. That meeting, when the Argentine President called for an end to British rule in the Falklands, took two hours
- 35: ONE DEAD AND THREE SERIOUSLY INJURED IN DARWIN-STANLEY ROAD RTA - Falklands (Health) - 31.03.2014
- One visiting Argentine War Veteran, Gustavo Antelo, has died and three of his colleagues, Norberto Di Prospero, Fabian Zaccardi and Facundo Di Prospero were injured when the vehicle in which they were riding came off the Darwin-Stanley Road and rolled over on Thursday.
- 36: Falklands: Executive Council Report 12 March 2014 - Falklands (Legal) - 31.03.2014
- MLAs Summers, Elsby and Rendell attended the meeting and MLA Hansen attended for one item.
- 37: FALKLANDS: MINE CLEARANCE QUESTION SNSWERED BY MLA SUMMERS - Falklands (Environment) - 31.03.2014
- A member of the public, Eric Goss, has asked for a public statement on why there was no mine clearance activity this summer. We are therefore able to advise as follows:
- 38: Falklands: SECRETARIAT FLAGPOLE REPLACED - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.03.2014
- On Monday 10th March, the flagpole’s rope broke and the flag was jammed at the top of the pole until the Public Works Department were able to remove it on Tuesday 11th March.
- 39: Falklands: Citizen’s Advice Bureau Annual Report - Falklands (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The CAB was formed in July 2012 – an offshoot of the Falkland Islands Human Rights Group. We agreed a Constitution (enclosed) and will shortly be holding our first Annual General Meeting.
- 40: FALKLANDS: INVESTIGATION INTO FORMER FICS TEACHER - Falklands (Education) - 31.03.2014
- The Falkland Islands Government confirm that an investigation is on-going regarding allegations of sexual activity with a child against a former teacher at the Falkland Islands Community School. The former teacher left the Falkland Islands several years ago and is now resident in the United Kingdom.
- 41: Falklands: NOBLE ENERGY PRESENTS AT NARROWS BAR - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 31.03.2014
- Noble energy presented an update on their operations at the Narrows Bar on Monday, 24 March 2014.
- 42: Falkland Islands CHAMBER OF COMMERCE WELCOMES STACY - Falklands (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The Falkland Islands Chamber of Commerce has a new Executive Secretary.
- 43: FALKLANDS: CAREERS FAIR AT FICS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL - Falklands (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- A careers fair has been scheduled to take place at the Leisure Centre Sports Hall on Wednesday, 16 April 2014 from 1400hrs to 1600hrs.
- 44: STANLEY MARATHON 2014: SUNNY ATTITUDES THOUGH PLAGUED BY WEATHER - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.03.2014
- The Standard Chartered Bank’s 10th annual marathon in aid of Seeing is Believing has been completed despite some miserable weather that plagued the runners.
- 45: St Helena: OUTBREAK OF FOWL CHOLERA – UPDATE - St Helena (Health) - 31.03.2014
- It was announced on Wednesday 26 March that an isolated outbreak of the serious bird disease, Fowl Cholera, had been diagnosed in the flock of ducks at Farm Lodge, St Paul’s, St Helena. This disease affects only birds - particularly and most seriously domestic flocks, where it is normally fatal.
- 46: St Helena: FOREIGN OFFICE REPLACES GOVERNOR’S FLAG CAR - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has purchased a replacement flag car for the Governor. At no cost to SHG, the silver Jaguar XF replaces the present vehicle, which is now over four years old.
- 47: St Helena: UTILITY TARIFFS 2014/15 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- Further to the Directive on 2014/15 Electricity and Water Tariffs issued by the St Helena Utilities Regulatory Authority on 17 March 2014, Connect Saint Helena Ltd has today published the final utility Tariffs for 2014-15, commencing 1 April 2014.
- 48: Disappointment expressed with earlier Airbridge departure times - S.Atlantic (Tourism/Travel) - 31.03.2014
- The decision by the Ministry of Defence to implement earlier departure times for northbound Airbridge flights has been criticised for the lack of consideration for users of the service.
- 49: NVQ QUALITY ASSURANCE COORDINATOR TO ATTEND OVERSEAS TRAINING - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- St Helena’s National Vocational Quality (NVQ) Assurance Coordinator Joyce Duncan (photo attached) is soon to embark on a period of training in the UK.
- 50: BIOSECURITY - PUBLIC CONSULTATION - REMINDER - St Helena (Education) - 31.03.2014
- St Helena’s Biosecurity Policy (‘Biosecurity St Helena’) is now out for public consultation.
- 51: St Helena: DETECTIVE CHIEF INSPECTOR ARRIVES - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 31.03.2014
- The Lucy Faithful Report on the subject of Child Protection on St Helena and Ascension Island was published in October last year.
- 52: Commonwealth Day Film - St Helena (Heritage) - 31.03.2014
- Commonwealth Day on Monday 10 March was an opportunity for member Nations of the Commonwealth to promote understanding on global issues, international cooperation and the work of Commonwealth organisations.
- 53: The Tristan Song Project goes international! - Tristan (Heritage) - 31.03.2014
- In 2009, teachers in England and on Tristan da Cunha began a song-writing project embracing poems by Tristan youngsters and musical settings by young composers in England.
- 54: St Helena: BUDGET SPEECH 2014/15 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- Financial Secretary Colin Owen this afternoon delivered the Budget Speech for St Helena, 2014/15 (photo attached). The theme of this year’s Budget was the Health of the Nation and Making a Difference.
- 55: St Helena: LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL ELECTIONS – RESULTS - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- Councillor Wilson ‘Tony’ Duncan has this morning been elected as Chairman of the Environment and Natural Resources Committee and a Member of Executive Council.
- 56: ST HELENA MEDIA CODE 2014 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The St Helena Media Code of Practice 2014 was issued today by the St Helena Media Commission.
- 57: St Helena: 2014/15 ELECTRICITY AND WATER TARIFFS - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The St Helena Utilities Regulatory Authority has today issued its Direction under Section 5 (1) (C) of the Utilities Services Ordinance 2013.
- 58: FORMAL LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MEETING – FRIDAY 21 MARCH 2014 - St Helena (Business News) - 31.03.2014
- The First Sitting of the Fourth Meeting of Legislative Council will take place on Friday 21 March 2014 at 10am in the Court House
- 59: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 60: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 61: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 62: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 63: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 64: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 65: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 66: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 67: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 68: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 69: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 70: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 71: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 72: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 73: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 74: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 75: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 76: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 77: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 78: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 79: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 80: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 81: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 82: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 83: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 84: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 85: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.