|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | All Islands|
ALL ISLANDS: Current ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current articles on one page.
View: Current (73) - Archived (5361) - All (5434)
- 1: NEW ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- His Excellency Governor Capes has appointed Frank Wastell as the new Attorney General for St Helena, following Ken Baddon’s tenure. Mr Baddon relinquished Office on 30 November 2013.
- 2: STERLING ON ST HELENA - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- Over the past month, discussions have been held between St Helena Government (SHG) and the Bank of St Helena (BOSH) to try and find a solution to the lack of Sterling currency on the Island at the current time.
- 3: FALKLAND ISLANDS ALLOCATED €5.9MILLION UNDER NEW AGREEMENT WITH THE EUROPEAN UNION - Falklands (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- The European Commission today announced that the Falkland Islands has been allocated a sum of €5.9million to support economic development activities between 2014 and 2020.
- 4: IT’S OVER: DESIRE SHARES SUSPENDED ON THURSDAY - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.12.2013
- Desire petroleum has announced that as of 0730hrs on Thursday, 05 December 2013 it will cease trading on the London Stock Exchange.
- 5: IJS & CE Archery Club Shoots at a a Level They Can be Proud of - S.Atlantic (Education) - 06.12.2013
- The last seven weeks has seen the biggest group of students taking part in the IJS &CE Archery Club including two from Camp
- 6: FIG STATES THE OBVIOUS OVER ARGENTINE OIL COMPANY THREATS - Falklands (Mineral Resources) - 06.12.2013
- The Argentine Congress passed a law last Thursday that could lead to 15 years in prison and heavy fines for entities exploring for and exploiting hydrocarbons in Falklands’ waters.
- 7: BRASILIAN DELEGATION IN FALKLANDS VISIT - Falklands (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- A five-person delegation from Brasil has come to the Falklands on a familiarisation visit. Clarita Maiabio, Legislative Advisor to the Brasilian Federal State, Simon, Joanisval Brito Goncalves, Senator and member of the Joint Committee on Intelligence Oversight, Gustavo Bernard, Political Advisor for Senator Ana Amelia, Celia de Morais, Political Advisor for Senator Luis Henrique and Andrew Ford, 1st Secretary (Political) at the British Embassy...
- 8: St Helena: PRINCE ANDREW SCHOOL AWARDS CEREMONY - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- The Prince Andrew School Awards ceremony was held in the school hall on the morning of Thursday 29 November.
- 9: DFID INFRASTRUCTURE ADVISERS VISIT ST HELENA - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- John Bowker, DFID’s Infrastructure Adviser and Pauline Scott, DFID’s Deputy Programme Manager, arrived on Island on Monday 25 November.
- 10: St Helena: EXCO REPORT: 3 DECEMBER 2013 - St Helena (Legal) - 06.12.2013
- Executive Council met today to discuss three items on the open agenda.
- 11: St Helena: PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER GAINS MASTERS DEGREE - St Helena (Education) - 06.12.2013
- Public Relations Officer Kerisha Stevens has recently gained a Masters Degree in Communications, Media and Public Relations from the University of Leicester.
- 12: ST HELENA DARWIN SUCCESS - St Helena (Environment) - 06.12.2013
- The Overseas Territories Environment and Climate Fund (Darwin Plus) was launched last year by the UK Government, with the aim of helping to deliver long-term strategic outcomes for the natural environment in the UK’s Overseas Territories.
- 13: St Helena: HOUSING TOUR WED 11 DECEMBER - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- Housing Executive, Andy Crowe, and Housing Management Officer, Tracy Thomas, will carry out a series of visits on Wednesday 11 December
- 14: Seasonal Message from SHG Housing Executive Andy Crowe - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- “December can be a really expensive time, especially for families, so SHG’s housing team wishes to remind everyone to make sure that their housing costs are considered.
- 15: St Helena: UPDATED CONTRACTS REGISTER PUBLISHED - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 06.12.2013
- As part of St Helena Government’s (SHG) commitment to increase transparency in the Procurement process, SHG has today made available to the public an updated Contracts Register
- 16: St helena: RFA DARKDALE ¡V NEXT STEPS - St Helena (Business News) - 06.12.2013
- In May 2012 a Ministry of Defence (MOD) team from Salvage and Marine Operations, supported by environmental scientists from RPS Consultants, visited St Helena to survey the wreck of the RFA Darkdale and the surrounding James¡¦ Bay.
- 17: St Helena: PIGEON CULLING AT HORSE POINT - St Helena (Environment) - 06.12.2013
- EMD will be undertaking Feral Pigeon Culling at Horse Point Landfill Site on a monthly basis between December 2013 and March 2014, in an effort to reduce pigeon numbers as part of the mitigation of bird strike risk to aircraft in advance of the Airport certification process.
- 18: Nelson Mandela: 18 July 1918 to 5 December 2013 - All (Heritage) - 05.12.2013
- It was with great sadness and sense of loss that South African President Jacob Zuma announced that Nelson Mandela, Father of modern South Africa had passed away peacefully at 2050hrs on Thursday, 05 December 2013.
- 19: Speech by Theresa May, Home Secretary, to the Society of Editors on 11 November 2013 - Falklands (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- I don’t need to tell anyone sitting in this room that the print media are facing extremely difficult times.
- 20: Lord Grade of Yarmouth Speech Before Society of Editors - Falklands (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- Michael Grade has had a long and distinguished career in broadcasting, encompassing London Weekend Television, the BBC, ITV, as well as over nine years as Chief Executive of Channel Four Television.
- 21: OPENING UP THE FAMILY COURTS TRANSPARENCY IN THE FAMILY COURT AND THE COURT OF PROTECTION - Falklands (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- Speech by Sir James Munby, President of the Family Division and President of the Court of Protection at the Annual Conference of the Society of Editors ‘Freedom to Inform’ London 11 November 2013
- 22: Freedom to Inform Conference, Monday 11 November 2013 David Price QC: After-Dinner Address - Falklands (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- A tough statutory incentive to join a non-statutory entirely voluntary self-regulator aka “I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse”
- 23: Falklands: Executive Council Report 20 November 2013 - Falklands (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- There was a short agenda for this meeting of Executive Council attended by MLA's Barry Elsby, Phyl Rendell and Mike Summers.
- 24: FALKLANDS AQUACULTURAL ADVANCE - Falklands (Fisheries) - 30.11.2013
- One of the Falklands leading Seafood Companies, Fortuna, has invested in a pilot brown trout farm facility in the Falkland Islands.
- 25: Falklands: PORTFOLIOS ASSIGNED FOR NEW MEMBERS OF LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY - Falklands (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- Newly©elected Members of Legislative Assembly for the Falkland Islands have assigned their portfolio responsibilities for the term of office.
- 26: St Helena COMMONWEALTH ESSAY GOLD WINNER - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- Every year, the Commonwealth Essay Competition encourages and inspires young writers to submit their stories from all over the world.
- 27: St Helena: SOCIAL WELFARE REVIEW PUBLISHED - St Helena (Health) - 30.11.2013
- Today sees the publication on SHG¡¦s website of the St Helena Social Welfare Review, a report by Roy Sainsbury and Jonathan Bradshaw of the University of York.
- 28: St Helena: EXCO REPORT - 19 NOVEMBER 2013 - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- Executive Council met today, Tuesday 19 November 2013, to discuss one item on the open agenda.
- 29: St Helena: INCREASES IN BIP AND IRB - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- SHG is pleased to announce that recipients of Basic Island Pension (BIP) and Income Related Benefits (IRB) will receive an increase in their weekly allowance from 1 December 2013. This was agreed by Executive Council on 14 November 2013.
- 30: St Helena: CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS IN NOVEMBER - St Helena (Gen - Government) - 30.11.2013
- Legislative Councillors are holding a series of public meetings in November. During each meeting there will be a minimum of three Members present
- 31: St Helena: CHANGES TO PUBLIC TRANSPORT - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- One of the objectives of St Helena’s Sustainable Development Plan is to facilitate private, public, tourist and business development across the Island through an improved public transport system
- 32: SHG SEEKS COMMENTS ON NEW HOUSING POLICIES - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- St Helena Government is seeking comments from the public on a range of new housing policies.
- 33: St Helena: ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE MEETING, 7 NOVEMBER 2013 - SUMMARY - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- An Economic Development Committee meeting was held on 7 November 2013 in the Council Chamber at the Castle.
- 34: St Helena: 2012-13 EXAMINATIONS REPORT - St Helena (Education) - 30.11.2013
- At the last meeting of the Education Committee, Chairperson, the Hon Christine Scipio-O’Dean and Committee members, received a report which set out details of the performance of St Helena’s schools during 2012-13.
- 35: St Helena: POST OFFICE AND CSC IMPROVEMENTS - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- As part of our ongoing commitment to improving services within SHG, The Post Office & and Customer Service Centre (CSC) we will be introducing a number of changes that will be both visible to the public and behind the scenes.
- 36: REMEMBRANCE DAY ON ST HELENA AND IN LONDON - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.11.2013
- The traditional Remembrance Day Service was held at the Cenotaph on the seafront
- 37: St Helena: OLYMPIC TROLLEYS - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- Twenty five luggage trolleys arrived on the RMS on 30 October 2013 and were used for the first time on 6 November, when passengers disembarked the RMS and proceeded through Immigration and Customs control.
- 38: St Helena: COUNCILLOR DOLLERY APPOINTED TO PAC - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- At this morning’s formal Legislative Council meeting, Councillor Nigel Dollery was elected to serve as a member of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
- 39: St Helena: JOHN CRANFIELD APPOINTED JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - St Helena (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- John Cranfield of Jamestown has been appointed a Justice of the Peace (JP) in and for the Island of St Helena.
- 40: St Helena: SUPREME COURT ADJUDICATION – 8 November 2013 - St Helena (Legal) - 30.11.2013
- ..in St Helena’s Supreme Court, Jeromy Cairns Wicks pleaded guilty to downloading indecent images from the internet onto his computer. This is the first prosecution of this category on St Helena and follows an investigation in which computer materials were seized during the execution of a warrant
- 41: BANK OF ST HELENA YOUTH GAMES OPEN - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.11.2013
- On Friday 22 November Bank of St Helena Ltd (BOSH) launched its eighth sponsored Youth Games, which runs from 22 November to 18 December.
- 42: NEW RECRUITS FOR ST HELENA POLICE - St Helena (Business News) - 30.11.2013
- The St Helena Police and Prison Service has recently welcomed four additions to their ranks - a Probation Officer and three Police Constables from the UK
- 43: St Helena: EDUCATION COMMITTEE MEETING, 20 NOVEMBER 2013 ¡V SUMMARY - St Helena (Education) - 30.11.2013
- The Education Committee met on 20 November 2013 at the Education Learning Centre
- 44: St Helena: ST PAUL’S PRIMARY SCHOOL’S MATHS WORKSHOP - St Helena (Education) - 30.11.2013
- On Monday evening, on 18 November, a Mathematics Workshop was held at St Paul’s Primary School.
- 45: RMS ST HELENA - SHG CONTACT - St Helena (Shipping/Freight) - 30.11.2013
- Following the departure of Julian Morris from Enterprise St Helena (ESH), the Shipping Officer role - as defined in the Tripartite Agreement between St Helena Line Ltd (SHL), St Helena Government (SHG) and the Department for International Development (DfID) - has now been transferred from ESH to SHG.
- 46: JOINT MINISTERIAL COUNCIL IN LONDON - All (Gen - Government) - 30.11.2013
- Councillor Lawson Henry and Assistant Financial Secretary, Dax Richards, this week represents St Helena at the annual Joint Ministerial Council (JMC) at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London.
- 47: INTRODUCTION TO THE RT HON KENNETH CLARKE’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY LORD BLACK OF BRENTWOOD - Falklands (Business News) - 16.11.2011
- Before introducing our keynote speaker I am very grateful for the opportunity that Robin (Esser) has given me to just very briefly to draw your attention to an important report that has just been published today which focuses on press freedom issues on shores of countries where challenges to press freedom are even more intense and often literally a matter of life and death.
- 48: The Directors – Part VI Carol George, Director of Health and Social Welfare - St Helena (Business News) - 02.06.2011
- St Helena Government has introduced a new directorate structure which came into effect on 1st April. Because of this, instead of Departments SHG now has ten Directorates.
- 49: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 50: FORTUNA SEAFOODS Invests for the Future - S.Atlantic (Fisheries) - 22.03.2011
- As part of an ongoing programme of market development Fortuna Seafoods have recently been investing in promoting Falkland seafood products in the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- 51: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 52: New Head Teacher for Prince Andrew School - St Helena (Education) - 13.01.2011
- The new Head Teacher of Prince Andrew School, Abraham Swart accompanied by his wife arrived on island on Tuesday, 11th January 2011.
- 53: Motion for Adjournment Speech by the Hon Mr Gavin Short - Falklands (Legal) - 29.10.2010
- Mr Speaker, Honourable members, in rising to support the motion for Adjournment I would just like to start off by joining other Members in welcoming the new Governor Mr Haywood and his wife to our Islands.
- 54: SHOULD CHRISTIAN VALUES BE CHOPPED FROM ST HELENA’S CONSTITUTION? - Tristan (Legal) - 21.10.2009
- A recent debate in the Foreign Affairs Committee about the Constitutions of British Overseas Territories has sparked interest in territories in the South Atlantic.
- 55: Jobless and Poverty Rates are key to Economic Recovery - All (Business News) - 12.08.2009
- Policy makers in the US Federal Reserve Bank are sitting down to discuss – amongst other things – interest rates, which are expected to remain the same at near zero percent. Also on the agenda, couched in eco-speak, is a concluding summary on the state of economy. SARTMA wonders – whose economy – theirs or ours.
- 56: ARGENTINE CLAIMS TO FALKLANDS SEABED CONTAINS NOTHING NEW - Falklands (Business News) - 25.04.2009
- Both Argentina and the United Kingdom are claiming a vast area of seabed from South America to the Antarctic in their latest bids for control of the South Atlantic.
- 57: DIRECTOR OF MINERALS AND AGRICULTURE REPORT FOR MARCH/APRIL - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 20.04.2009
- Borders & Southern Petroleum Limited (BSP), who successfully completed environmental surveys in their licensed area by contracting Benthic Solutions Limited to gather seabed samples in late 2008, are now analysing the data for inclusion in an Environmental Impact Assessment.
- 58: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 59: HYDROCARBONS WEEKEND RECORD: 11 AND 12 NOVEMBER 2006 - S.Atlantic (Mineral Resources) - 12.11.2006
- Several of Bolivia’s companies and agencies that have benefited from the May 1st nationalisation of hydrocarbons are about to give a school bonus to approximately 1,200,000 children. The $25.00 (200 Bolivianos) is earmarked for helping families with food and school expenditures. The South American press indicated the sum will be given to the children on an annual basis. Payments began at 300 schools on Sunday, 12 November 2006.
- 60: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 61: Sartma Daily (30/08/05) - S.Atlantic (Business News) - 30.08.2005
- A quick overview of South Atlantic News
- 62: Postcode Not So New For Tristan - Tristan (Business News) - 10.08.2005
- One of the nice things about having a Tristanian working for SARTMA is that the record can be set straight about various things, including the Island’s postcode. TDCU 1ZZ has been available for at least 18 months.
Photo (c) James Glass Tristan Times - the building that houses the Tristan Post Office
- 63: Poaching Threatens Tristan da Cunha's Hurricane Recovery - Tristan (Fisheries) - 12.06.2005
- Any way you look at it, poachers who steal Tristan da Cunha's lobster as well as other maritime resources and offload them in Cape Town have cost the people hundreds of thousands of pounds a year in lost revenue.
Photos (C) James Glass (Tristan Times) - Calshot Hatbour as it looks today.
- 64: GRYTVIKEN WASTE REMOVAL: AN EXERCISE IN HISTORICAL PRESERVATION - S.Georgia (Health) - 30.04.2004
- You might think that removing the dangerous bits of Grytviken’s whaling station would mean the total clearance of all that was brought to the site in the early part of the last century but you would be wrong.
Photos (C) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG) and Vladimir Seliverstov - The Albatrosss and Dias before and after.
- 65: South Georgia Fishery: Success and Tragedy - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 28.04.2004
- In this second extensive interview with Patrick Lurcock, the Marine Officer for the 200-Mile South Georgia Fishery Zone, SARTMA has been able to update readers on the progress that the South Georgia fishery has made.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SG)
- 66: Tristan da Cunha: The Way Tristanians Tell It - Tristan (Agriculture) - 07.01.2004
- Daniel Schreier and Karen Lavarello-Schreier have written an informative book about Tristan da Cunha, its people, way of life and language.
- 67: The Unseen Consequence of Longline Poaching - Tristan (Fisheries) - 15.08.2003
- People, as they should be, are angry about poaching but what of the sad spin-off?
Photo (c) COLTO An Illegal Toothfish Longliner poaching in the Southern Ocean.
- 68: A Zodiac Tour of Boatswainbird Island - Ascension (Tourism/Travel) - 10.08.2003
- The little islet off the coast of Ascension Island is called Boatswainbird Island. M/S ENDEAVOUR organised a zodiac tour of the islet.
Photo (C) J. Brock (SARTMA) Yet another lava bridge and a great photo op.
- 69: A Zodiac Tour Of Gough Island - Tristan (Tourism/Travel) - 07.07.2003
- Though no landings were permitted on Gough Island, the crew and passengers of M/S ENDEAVOUR were able to do a zodiac tour with some spectacular results.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 70: South Georgia Residents Rescue Stranded Fishermen - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 23.05.2003
- The residents of South Georgia had their hands full earlier this month when three ships ran aground in bad weather. Two are still there.
Photo (c) Dr. Sue Dowling - The cast of characters who winter over in South Georgia in 2003:
Back (L-R)Tim Carr, Pauline Car, Suzi Hawkins, Rich Mitchell
Middle (L-R) Howie Owen, John Clemens,Frin Ross, Sarah Lurcock, Ian Parsons
Front (L-R)Sue Dowling, Andy Godsell, Rob Gater, Pat Lurcock
- 71: South Georgia Maritime Zone: A Successful Partnership - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 07.04.2003
- The second half of the South Georgia Maritime Zone's marriage of management and science is carried out in a lab and on fishing boats.
- 72: South Georgia Management Zone: - S.Georgia (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- A Successful Marriage of Management and Science!
Find out why management and science are needed for a top - class fishery.
- 73: St. Helena: A Fishery on the Way Up! - St Helena (Fisheries) - 02.04.2003
- St. Helena's fishery is quite different than that of South Georgia. The style and approach of stock assessmant and management reflect the uniqueness of the fishery.