|Get the South Atlantic weekly news sent direct to your Inbox.|
|YOUR ADVERT HERE|
|This could be your text!|
|Home | Categories |
Current and Archived ArticlesSelect individual articles below or view all current and archived articles on one page.
View: Current (11) - Archived (683) - All (694)
- 1: St Helena COMMEMORATION OF THE DEATH OF NAPOLEON - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.05.2013
- On Sunday 5 May, many gathered at Alarm Forest to mark the commemoration of the death of Napoleon.
- 2: ASCENSION ISLAND PROUDLY RAISES ITS NEW FLAG - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.05.2013
- On Saturday morning on 11 May 2013, many gathered outside the Ascension Island Government building in Georgetown to witness a significant occasion in the Island’s history.
- 3: Falklands Mark Passing of Captain Mike Barrow - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.05.2013
- Michael Ernest Barrow, the son of a retired naval captain,
- 4: Falklands Note the Passing of Cambridge Scientist Joe Farman - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.05.2013
- The British Antarctic Survey scientist Joe Farman, who helped identify the "hole" in the ozone layer over the southern pole, died on Saturday, 11 May 2013.
- 5: Falklands Archery Association Receives foam target bosses - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2013
- This week the Falklands Archery Association received its second consignment of foam target bosses funded generously by Argos Ltd.
- 6: FALKLANDS HOLD QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY SALUTE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.04.2013
- A parade to mark the 87th birthday of Her majesty the Queen was held at 1000hrs on Sunday, 21 April 2013.
- 7: Falklands in Thatcher Memorial Debate - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.04.2013
- Legislative Assembly have invited the Falklands’ public to contribute ideas for a memorial or tribute to honour the late Baroness Thatcher.
- 8: Shackleton Team Visits South Georgia - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 21.04.2013
- Thanks to the South Georgia newsletter we have footage of the Shackleton team visiting South Georgia prior to returning back to the UK
- 9: South Georgia Heritage Trust Helicopters Arrival at King Edward Point - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 21.04.2013
- This time-lapsed item shows the South Georgia heritage Trust's helicopters arriving at King Edward Point.
- 10: FALKLANDS SAY FAREWELL TO IRON LADY - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.04.2013
- A memorial service to commemorate the life of Margaret Hilda Roberts Thatcher, Baroness and former prime Minister of the United Kingdom was held at Christ Church Cathedral at 1400hrs on Wednesday, 17 April 2013. Photo:(c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 11: Falklands: RESTORATIVE PROJECT FOR ST MARY’S - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.04.2013
- Odd Angle: The steeple of St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church finally lies on the ground awaiting restoration.
Photo © J. Brock (FINN)
- 12: Falklands: WE CONCLUDE MONDAY’S BUSINESS - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.04.2013
- There are already promises that the Vatican will not intervene in Falklands’ affairs. Next year the word “Argentine” could be dropped from the Pope’s title – Pontiff and not regional rhetoric spouting Cardinal.
- 13: FALKLANDS NOTE PEACEFUL PASSING FOR THE IRON LADY - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.04.2013
- News of Margaret Thatcher’s passing reached the Falklands just before 0800hrs on Monday morning and with it a sense of loss for a Falklands heroine.
- 14: Falklands: LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY REAFFIRMS REFERENDUM STANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.04.2013
- The Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly has responded to the 26 March 2013 visit to the United Nations by the Argentine foreign Minister, Mr Hector Timerman.
- 15: Epic Expedition Repeats Shackleton’s Amazing Feat - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 07.04.2013
- The first successful attempt to recreate Shackleton’s boat journey and crossing of the Island was completed by members of the ‘Shackleton Epic Expedition’ on February 10th. © South Georgia Newsletter
- 16: FIRST EVER ASCENSION ISLAND FLAG TO FLY - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.04.2013
- His Excellency Mark Capes, Governor of St Helena, Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha, has warmly welcomed Royal approval of the design of the first ever flag of Ascension Island, saying:
- 17: QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY PARTY 2013 - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.04.2013
- This year the Queen’s Birthday Party (QBP) at Plantation House will be held on Friday 19 April. Although HM The Queen’s actual birthday is on 21 April, in St Helena there will a public holiday to mark the occasion on Monday 17 June 2013.
- 18: NINTH STANLEY MARATHON: SUNNY, BREEZY AND SHEER JOY - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.03.2013
- The ninth annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley Marathon was staged on St Patrick’s Day – Sunday, 17 March 2013. This year 46 individual runners, consisting of 39 men and 7 women and 26 relay teams took part in the world’s most southerly certified marathon.
- 19: NEW POPE FROM ARGENTINA: HAND OFGOD MAY HAVE CHOSEN THE LEADER BUT THE OFFICE MAKES THE MAN - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.03.2013
- Roman Catholic Cardinals have chosen as their new pope a man Argentina the first non-European to be elected for almost 1,300 years and the first-ever member of the Jesuit order. The archbishop of Buenos Aires, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, took as his papal name Francis
- 20: Commonwealth Day Message 2013 - All (Heritage) - 23.03.2013
- This year’s Commonwealth theme, ‘Opportunity through Enterprise’, is a celebration of our achievements, particularly those that may have seemed challenging, daunting or even impossible, which have helped to build strength, resilience and pride in our young people, in our communities and in our nations.
- 21: COMMONWEALTH DAY 2013 ‘OPPORTUNITY THROUGH ENTERPRISE’ - St Helena (Heritage) - 23.03.2013
- This year’s Commonwealth Day (held each year on the second Monday in March) celebrated economic innovation throughout the Commonwealth and a shared commitment towards youth, social and sustainable enterprise.
- 22: LECTURE BY MICHAEL KEATING to Regional CPA Conference in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.03.2013
- Though I am not from here I feel at home because the landscape and the hospitality of the people but the landscape here reminds me so much of the western isles of Scotland and the west of Ireland particularly today with the wind coming off the Atlantic. So it’s a great pleasure to be here and to talk about this very difficult and very complex issue of self-determination.
- 23: SPEECH BY THE RT HON THE BARONESS SCOTLAND OF ASTHAL QC REGION ANNUAL CONFERENCE: Tuesday, 12 February 2013 - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.03.2013
- Thank you very much for inviting me to come and do this speech. Can I say what a real pleasure it is to be back in the Falkland Islands and what a privilege it is to be asked to speak on a subject of such topical and definite importance to the Commonwealth and to the Falkland Islands in particular at this time?
- 24: “ASPIRE TO RESTORE THE SPIRE!”ST JAMES’ CHURCH STEEPLE RESTORATION APPEAL - St Helena (Heritage) - 03.02.2013
- An Appeal has been launched to restore the spire of St James’ Church, the oldest Anglican Church in the Southern Hemisphere, led by appeal organisers, Ivy Ellick, OBE and Cathy Hopkins, MBE.
- 25: St Helena: ETHEL CELEBRATES HER CENTURY - St Helena (Heritage) - 03.02.2013
- On Monday 28 January, a tea party was held at Plantation House to celebrate the 100th birthday of Mrs Ethel Sim, the eldest resident on the Island. Hosted by HE the Governor and Mrs Capes, the party began at 3pm with family and friends in attendance.
- 26: Former Colonial Secretary Aubrey Denton-Thompson Dies at 92 - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.01.2013
- Well liked, he presented a Children’s Programme over the radio. He will be missed by those who knew him both in the Falklands and elsewhere world-wide.
- 27: Tristan: Public Notice published on Friday 18th January - Tristan (Heritage) - 19.01.2013
- We are pleased to announce that Her Majesty the Queen has awarded an honorary MBE to Captain Clarence October, Captain of the MV Edinburgh for his services to the community of Tristan da Cunha.
- 28: Prime Minister's Christmas Message for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- 2012 has been a memorable year for all of us. It’s been a year of happy celebrations but a year of more sober commemorations too. In London and Stanley, we celebrated the Diamond Jubilee, marking the sixtieth year of Her Majesty the Queen’s reign. The genuine and deep affection for Her Majesty both here and in the Falklands reminded us of the ties that bind us together.
- 29: 98th BATTLE OF THE FALKLANDS ANNIVERSARY REPORT - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- A day of celebration arranged to commemorate the 98th anniversary of the Battle of the Falklands was held on Saturday, 08 December 2012 in various locations to remember the six British sailors and 2,260 German sailors who lost their lives during the naval engagements on 08 December 1914.
- 30: ALL SET FOR THE ANNUAL STANLEY RAFT RACE 2013 - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- The Annual Stanley Raft Race will be held on 1st January 2013, from ‘B’ Slip to the Narrows Beach (adjacent to the Narrows Bar). Rafts should be at ‘B’ Slip ready for inspection at 1130 ready for a midday start. Entry Fee is £10.00 per raft, and classes of Traditional and Super raft will be allocated to each raft by the organisers.
- 31: CLOSURE OF SAINT FM - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- The UK Government and SHG value the diversity of media and opinion in St Helena, just as in other Overseas Territories, and we recognise Saint FM’s contribution to informing the public and stimulating public debate, as well as its entertainment value.
- 32: St Helena: GOVERNOR’S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 22.12.2012
- As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ and as another year draws to an end, many people will pause to reflect on the events of the past year. I see it as a year of progress and adjustment.
- 33: Flags half-mast for Gerard “Fred” Robson - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.11.2012
- Gerard “Fred” Robson, who served over 35 years with the Falkland Islands Government, has died at the age of 59.
- 34: FINAL DIAMOND JUBILEE MEDAL PRESENTED - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.11.2012
- Tania Augustus of the St Helena Prison Service was presented with her Diamond Jubilee Medal on Thursday 8 November by HE Governor Capes at his Office in the Castle.
- 35: Falklands Mark the Passing of Sir Rex Hunt CMG - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.11.2012
- It is with great sadness that the people of the Falkland Islands heard of the passing of one remarkable Governor – Sir Rex Hunt. He was much loved by Falkland Islanders who saw him as a beacon of light during the dark days of 1982.
- 36: DUKE OF KENT TO VISIT THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.10.2012
- Government House has announced the dates for the visit to the Falkland Islands by His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent in November 2012.
- 37: SHIPS’ NAMES ON CAMBER RE-PAINTED - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.10.2012
- A team of eleven from the RFA Gold Rover along with children from the youth groups and their representatives have painted the stones on the Camber.
- 38: HMS PROTECTOR VISITS ST HELENA - St Helena (Heritage) - 14.10.2012
- “HMS Protector was taken into service last year to replace HMS Endurance which has been a visitor to St Helena in the past.
- 39: HMS Edinburgh leaves Portsmouth on last deployment - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.09.2012
- HMS Edinburgh is scheduled to work on counter-drug trafficking measures off West Africa before visiting the Caribbean and the US, returning to Portsmouth in March 2013.
- 40: Dauntless hosts key summit on visit to Colombia - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.09.2012
- HMS Dauntless served as the setting for inaugural annual defence talks between Britain and Colombia when she visited Cartagena. The new Type 45 destroyer once again served as a floating venue for events promoting the best of British on the latest leg of her Auriga 12 deployment to the North and South Atlantic.
- 41: FALKLANDS CELEBRATE CHILEAN INDEPENDENCE DAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.09.2012
- Chileans in the Falklands have celebrated the 202nd anniversary of their independence with a reception at Government House on Tuesday, 18 September 2012.
- 42: Pater Ludorum Geoffrey Corlett dies at 86 - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.09.2012
- The Pater Ludorum (The Father of the Games), Geoffrey Corlett died on Wednesday 22nd August 2012 at the age of 86.
- 43: Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour to Mrs Marjorie Hayward - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.08.2012
- His Excellency the Governor, acting on the advice of Executive Council, is pleased to announce the 2012 award of the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour
- 44: NEWS FROM ST HELENA TOURISM - TELLING ST HELENA STORIES - St Helena (Heritage) - 18.08.2012
- As part of its ongoing work to promote St Helena internationally, Enterprise St Helena and St Helena Tourism, in conjunction with Keene – our public relations agency in the UK – organised a series of radio interviews with Julian Morris, Chief Executive for Economic Development.
- 45: NEW EVIDENCE FOUND IN ARGENTINE CEMETERY VANDALISM CASE - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.08.2012
- The Royal Falkland Islands Police have released further information about the vandalism occurring at the Argentine Cemetery at Darwin.
The second photograph shows the inscription on the first page of the bible and the plastic wrap.
Photo © Crown Copyright (RFIP)
- 46: Falklands: Vandals Damage Glass Screen at Argentine Cemetery - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.08.2012
- A concerned member of the public reported that damage had been done to the Argentine cemetery at Darwin.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright (RFIP)
- 47: FALKLANDS: ONE VETERAN’S WORDS OF HOPE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.06.2012
- Kenny Ward served in 12 Regiment, Royal Artillery was invited to say a few words during the Liberation Songs of Praise Service at Christ Church Cathedral on Sunday by the Rev Dr Richard Hines.
- 48: St Helena: Queen's Birthday Honours 2012 - Edith Timm Awarded MBE - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 24.06.2012
- “I am delighted that Edith Timm has been honoured with an MBE in The Queen’s Birthday Honours announced on 16 June.
- 49: A HELLO AND GOOD-BYE TO FR GODFREY - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- During late May and early June the Rev Fr Godfrey Joseph Naika SMA from Kenya has been visiting the Falklands to see what parish work is like and to meet the people. He lived at the Priest’s House and visited parishioners as well as others in the Community.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 50: PICKLES FLIES FALKLANDS FLAG TO MARK ‘LIBERATION DAY’ - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- Communities Secretary Eric Pickles raised the flag of the Falkland Islands today outside the Department for Communities and Local Government in Whitehall, London, to mark the Island’s Liberation Day and the start of a new flag flying programme by the Department in this Jubilee year.
- 51: ALL SET FOR MIDWINTER SWIM 2012 - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- If you fancy a bit of winter madness then try a midwinter swim at Surf Bay on Saturday, 23 June beginning at 1400hrs LMT.
- 52: JUBILEE MEDAL ROLL-CALL COMPLETED - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- Two members of the Emergency Services who were unavoidably unavailable last Monday during the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations, today received their Diamond Jubilee Medals from His Excellency, Governor Capes.
- 53: Falklands War bombing of Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram remembered in Christ Church Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- A Service to commemorate the 30th anniversary of one of the bleakest days of the Falklands War when Welsh Guards on the Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram were subjected to a deadly Argentine bombing raid was held in Christ Church Cathedral at 1000hrs on 08 June 2012.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) voa FITV
- 54: War Exhibition opened in St Mary’s Parish Hall - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2012
- H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood has opened the Stanley Museum’s war exhibition in St Mary’s parish hall on Wednesday, 06 June 2012
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV)
- 55: WIND AND SNOW GREET FALKLANDS’ LIBERATION DAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2012
- People in the Falkland Islands marked the 30th anniversary of Falklands Liberation with a service at Christ Church Cathedral led by the Rev Dr Richard Hines.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV
- 56: JEREMY BROWNE MP – A MESSAGE TO THE FALKLAND ISLANDERS - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2012
- It is a huge honour to address you here in Stanley on what is a particularly poignant Liberation Day. As ever this day carries mixed emotions.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) via FITV
- 57: FALKLAND ISLANDERS TO HOLD REFERENDUM ON SOVEREIGNTY - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2012
- The Falkland Islands Government has announced today that a referendum on Falklands’ sovereignty will be held during the first half of 2013.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) From Left to right: MLA Jan Cheek, H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood, MLA Barry Elsby, MLA Ian Hansen, MLA Sharon Halford, Mr Jeremy Browne, MP, Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and MLA Gavin Short
- 58: HM THE QUEEN’S DIAMOND JUBILEE – A LOOK BACK - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.06.2012
- The Infant/Junior School PTA and Argos Limited sponsored a “Queen’s Night Dance on Saturday, 02 June, featuring fancy dress as well as a 3 course meal from Malvina House Hotel.
- 59: NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR 2012 - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.06.2012
- Nominations from members of the community are sought for the 2012 Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour.
- 60: Government House Reception to Honour Richard Cockwell - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.06.2012
- A reception to Honour Richard Cockwell, OBE was held at Government House on Friday, 01 June 2011.
- 61: SECOND MESSY CHURCH AT THE TOWN HALL - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.05.2012
- The second Messy Church event in the Falklands was held in the Town Hall on Sunday 13 May from 4 to 6pm.
- 62: BARN DANCE REPORT FROM CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.05.2012
- Christ Church Cathedral held another very successful Barn Dance in the Parish Hall on the evening of Friday 11 May.
- 63: LOCAL Man in BUCS Outdoor Athletics Championships - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2012
- Local man, Zoran Zuvic has competed in the New Olympic Stadium in the UK
- 64: FALKLANDS REMEMBER NICK TAYLOR - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2012
- A memorial service to remember Nick Taylor RN, who tragically died when he was shot down at Goose Green in May 1982, took place on Sunday, 06 May 2012.
- 65: Falklands’ Officials Disappointed at Argentine Olympic Advert - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2012
- The Hon Mr Ian Hansen, MLA has stated that Members of Legislative Assembly very disappointed to see the advert from the Argentine Presidential Office, attempting to politicise the Olympics in service of their territorial ambitions.
- 66: Queens Diamond Jubilee Celebrations for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2012
- The only other British Monarch to have celebrated a Diamond Jubilee was Queen Victoria in 1897 but 2012 marks the 60th year of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s reign.
- 67: Falklands: CATHEDRAL HOSTS SUCCESSFUL SCAVENGER HUNT - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.04.2012
- Six teams braved the wintery weather on Sunday afternoon as they set out on a Scavenger Hunt organised by members of Christ Church Cathedral.
- 68: St Helena Nominations Requested for Certificate and Badge of Honour, and Acts of Bravery Awards - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.04.2012
- Nominees are currently being sought for the Certificate and Badge of Honour Awards.
- 69: FORMER CBF RECALLS HIS TIME ON THE BLACK PIG - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.04.2012
- We remember her as the Black Pig – garbage scow extraordinaire and know of her past history.
- 70: Nobel Laureates' Letter Deeply Disappointing to Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.04.2012
- An Open Letter to Adolfo Perez Esquivel, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Rigoberta Menchu Tum, Desmond Tutu, Jody Williams, Shirin Ebadi and Leymah Gbowee.
- 71: St Helena: Grant of British Overseas Territories Citizenship - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.04.2012
- Mr Sunit Kumar has been granted British Overseas Territories Citizenship and undertook the Oath and Pledge of Allegiance in the presence of His Excellency, Governor Capes on Thursday 22nd March 2012.
- 72: FALKLAND ISLANDS DEFENCE FORCE MARK INVASION PLUS 30 - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.04.2012
- On Sunday afternoon eighteen former Members of the Falkland Islands Defence Force who were on duty the night of 01 April 1982 formed up on John Street where the former FIDF Hall was located and marched to the Liberation Monument on Ross Road.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 73: FIODA’S “A NIGHT AT THE MUSICALS” - Loverly, Loverly, Loverly - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.03.2012
- If all you need is a room somewhere safe from the wind and the cold night air, then why not share it with at least 150 others and make it the town hall?
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 74: STANDARD CHARTERED BANK STANLEY MARATHON: Results - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.03.2012
- The 8th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon took place on Sunday, 18 March 2012 in increasingly windy conditions. Though the race began in bright sunshine and warm near gale force breezes the weather deteriorated and it ended with horizontal rain and the finish-line blowing away.
- 75: St Helena Prepares for Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations - St Helena (Heritage) - 17.03.2012
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II came to the throne on 6th February 1952 and this year, 2012, marks The Diamond Jubilee - 60 years of the Queen’s Reign.
- 76: COMMONWEALTH DAY MESSAGE FROM H. M. T HE QUEEN - All (Heritage) - 17.03.2012
- One of the great benefits of today’s technology-based world is the range of opportunities it offers to understand and appreciate how others live: we can see, hear and enter into the experience of people in communities and circumstances far removed from our own.
- 77: A Tribute from former Governors to Mary “Nanny” Fullerton - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.02.2012
- On behalf of the previous Governors of the Falkland Islands and their families from the 1960s onwards we should like to express our sadness at the death of Nanny Fullerton and to send our sincere condolences to all her family and friends. We also wish to express our great appreciation of all that she did for us and all that she meant to us.
- 78: FALKLANDS ARCHERY NEWS - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.02.2012
- A well-earned achievement for James Tyrrell who this month was awarded the Argos Junior Trophy, this is an award presented to under 18’s who the committee believe had shown the most improvement in score, attendance and character.
- 79: Falklands' Historical Telex For Sale - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.02.2012
- A copy of the original Falklands War Surrender Telex, announcing the laying down of arms by the Argentine Forces under General de Brigada Mario Menendez in June 1982, is to be sold at Bonhams Marine Sale on 3 April 2012
- 80: HRH the Duke of Cambridge Takes Sea King Flight in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.02.2012
- The Ministry of Defence has releaced footage of HRH the Duke of Cambridge (AKA Flt Lt Wales) taking an initial flight in a Sea King Search and Rescue Helicopter in the Falkland Islands
- 81: SOUTH GEORGIA POSSESSION DAY MARKED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.01.2012
- A reception to mark the 237th anniversary of Captain James Cook’s discovery and possession of South Georgia took place at Government House on Tuesday, 17 January 2012.
- 82: ARGOS LTD MEDALS PRESENTED FOR ARCHERY COMPETITION - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.01.2012
- The first ever Argos Limited Medal Archery Competition was held on Friday, 06 January 2012 at the leisure centre, with Medals presented by the Executive Chairman, Mr Ian Thompson, OBE, at Argos House on H. Jones Road.
- 83: Dagmar Koptein to give organ recital at Stanley Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.01.2012
- Dagmar Koptein, a musician aboard the Phoenix Ship, MV ARTIANA, will be giving a free 30 minute organ recital in Christ Church Cathedral on Sunday, 22 January 2012 at 1700hrs.
- 84: Prime Minister's Christmas Message to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.12.2011
- There is a real sense of a renewed partnership between us, which we will celebrate and consolidate in a White Paper to be published early next year.
- 85: GOVERNOR HONOURS ONE OF FALKLANDS’ FINEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.12.2011
- A special reception was given at Government House in honour of Andy Brownlee, who was awarded an MBE at Buckingham Palace this spring (UK autumn).
- 86: HRH THE DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE OFF TO THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.11.2011
- According to an announcement by the MOD, HRH the Duke of Cambridge will be deployed to the Falklands early in the New Year. He will be deployed in the South Atlantic for six weeks.
- 87: AWARD FOR CAPTAIN CLARENCE OCTOBER AND THE CREW OF THE EDINBURGH - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 09.11.2011
- I am delighted, as I know you all will be, with the announcement that Captain Clarence October and the crew of the Edinburgh have received an award for their work with the Oliva earlier this year.
- 88: Governor Crapes' Inaugural Speech - Tristan (Heritage) - 09.11.2011
- I know that they are both keen to visit Tristan as soon as they can but as you know the logistics are challenging and we are currently looking at a number of options.
- 89: Mark Capes sworn in as Governor of St Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 09.11.2011
- Amidst clear skies, with the RMS St Helena in the harbour and the steady hum of people gathering to watch the Inauguration Ceremony in Jamestown, Mark Capes was sworn in as the Governor of St Helena on Saturday 29th October 2011.
- 90: TEAM TRANQUIL VOLUNTEERS AID IN CEMETERY PROJECT - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- Team Tranquil have been busy raising money for a gazebo and benches in the Stanley Cemetery.
- 91: JOHN AND EILEEN SMITH CELEBRATE 50 YEARS TOGETHER - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- John and Eileen Smith will celebrate 50 years of marriage on Friday, 21 October 2011.
- 92: FALKLANDS SEE BEN’S ART AT ITS BEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- Ever since I can remember, Ben Cockwell has been drawing and painting to a high standard for his age group.
- 93: QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR AWARDED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.10.2011
- At a reception held in Government House on the evening of Wednesday, 19 October 2011, Miss Vivienne Perkins and Mrs Jan Miller received the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour from H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 94: Falklands - MAN’S BEST FRIENDS NEED BEDDING, TOO - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.10.2011
- When you snuggle under warm duvets during cold winter and spring months, give a thought to mans’ best friends at Mount Pleasant Complex.
- 95: Tristan Remembers Volcano + 50 - Tristan (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- The BBC reports that Fifty years ago a village in Hampshire forged an unlikely link with one of the most isolated communities on earth.
- 96: COOL LAUNCH FOR ARCHERY IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- The Falklands Archery Association was officially launched at the Narrows Bar on Saturday, 01 October 2011 by the first President, Mr Paul Ellis and the Association’s patron, H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 97: £36,000.00 for FVF and SAMA’82 - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2011
- Liberty Lodge and the Arboretum in the UK will benefit from money donated by Red Lion Foods and SAMA’82. At a reception for Veterans held at Government House a very grateful Smoky Coles from the Falklands Families Association received both cheques.
- 98: ST HELENA GOVERNOR’S FAREWELL - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.09.2011
- Being your Governor for the past four years has been not only an honour, but it has also been a pleasure. That pleasure comes from a genuine belief in the people and the future of St.Helena and the fact that I have had the privilege of working with so many of you, in both sectors, who share that belief.
- 99: Chilean National Day Recognised at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- A reception in honour of Chilean Independence Day was held at Government House at 1800hrs on Wednesday, 21 September 2011.
- 100: Own Goal for Argentina Over Flights - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- Jorge Argüello, Argentina’s permanent representative to the United Nations, has confirmed President Cristinea Fernandez de Kirchner’s threat to stop the once a week flight between the Falkland Islands and Argentina.
- 101: Foreign and Commonwealth Office Responds to the Petition - St Helena (Heritage) - 23.09.2011
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office Minister for the Overseas Territories, Henry Bellingham MP, has today sent letters
- 102: OUTSTANDING STANDARDS REWARDED AT FALKLANDS’ CRAFT FAIR - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.09.2011
- Outstanding qualities of craft were presented at the annual Falklands Craft Fair which was held over the weekend of 10 and 11 September 2011.
- 103: St Helena Marks Governor Gurr’s Departure - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.09.2011
- His Excellency, Governor Gurr will depart the Island on Friday 23rd September 2011 on completion of his term of office.
- 104: TRIBUTES TO SHARON WAINWRIGHT - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.08.2011
- Sharon’s last email to me on 11th August began with the words “No problem...”. How typical that was of her approach to her job.
- 105: St Helena Congratulates CPL J PETERS RLC - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.08.2011
- Cpl Peters is employed as an AAPTI responsible for delivering physical training, testing and the administration of up to 44 Soldiers (JS). He is also responsible for delivering Adventurous Training (AT) instruction during Personal & Team Development.
- 106: SHARON WAYNWRIGHT: A SAD LOSS FOR ST HELENA - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.08.2011
- It was with the deep and sincere regret that people in the Falklands heard of the sudden death in London of Sharon Wainwright.
- 107: Frank Wild is to be buried next to Shackleton in the Grytviken cemetery - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 13.08.2011
- Frank Wild was one of the most experienced polar explorers of the heroic era.
- 108: Raising the flag to celebrate the return of the sun - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 13.08.2011
- Staff at British Antarctic Survey’s Rothera Research Station recently raised the Union flag to mark the first sighting of the sun again after several weeks of continual darkness.
- 109: FALKLAND ISLANDS HUMAN RIGHTS AWARENESS TRAINING BEGINS WITH A REFRESHER LECTURE - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.07.2011
- Lindi Coetzee, Selina Goulbourne and Rosanna Mesquita, three Human Rights Trainers, have arrived in the Falklands and will conduct Human Rights training during the week of 19 to 25 July 2011.
- 110: HUMAN RIGHTS CAPACITY LECTURES WELL ATTENDED - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.07.2011
- Three Human Rights Trainers, Lindi Coetzee, Selina Goulbourne and Rosanna Mesquita have arrived in the Falklands and will conduct Human Rights training during the week of 19 to 25 July 2011.
- 111: PRESENTATION TO SEAMANS MISSION BY SEA CADETS - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.07.2011
- The Sea Cadets presented a Cheque for £435.00p to the Seaman’s Mission on Wednesday the 6th July.
- 112: Falklands Jelly Tots Results - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.07.2011
- Jelly Tots held their Mid-Winter Fancy Dress Party on Sunday, 03 July 2011. In an atmosphere of mid-winter fun and party food the contestants enjoyed romping with friends and family as well as the competition.
- 113: FR PETER CELEBRATES 10 YEARS AS A PRIEST - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.06.2011
- Fr. Peter Norris has celebrated 10 years as a Priest at St Mary’s Rectory on Monday, 20 June 2011. Approximately 25 well-wishers attended a reception to mark the occasion.
- 114: St Helena Governor Gurr’s 100 Ascent of Jacob’s ladder - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.06.2011
- For the 100th time Governor Gurr has defeated Jacob’s ladder; this hundredth ascent all in the name of charity.
- 115: Falklands Legislator Asks UN to Stand By Self Determination Principle - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.06.2011
- Chapter 1 Article 1.2 enshrines the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples.
- 116: Falklands Vibrant Despite Argentine Sanctions - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.06.2011
- all of that has now changed with Argentina pulling out of these agreements unilaterally. Presidential Decree 256 illegally demands that vessels transiting to the Falkland Islands through Argentine waters must gain signed permission from Argentina.
- 117: Andy Brownlee Awarded MBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours List - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.06.2011
- Capt Andrew Samuel Brownlee, JP, Director, Lifestyles Ltd. for services to the community in the Falkland Islands has been listed on it.
- 118: HE MAY HAVE STOLEN CHRISTMAS BUT NOT FALKLANDS’ LIBERATION DAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2011
- Nothing that UK and US press reports could throw at the Falklands could dampen Islanders’ spirits today – Tuesday, 14 June 2011.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 119: Roger Edwards Defends Self Funded Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.06.2011
- We are entirely self funded and self governing with the exception of Foreign Affairs and defence – a defence only necessary because of the continual aggression shown by our closest neighbour.
- 120: ALL SET FOR THE MIDWINTER SWIM 2011 - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.06.2011
- Falklands’ cold-water enthusiasts are preparing themselves for the Annual Midwinter swim that will be held this year at SURF BAY on the 18th June this year.
- 121: ACTIVITIES FOR 29th ANNIVERSARY OF LIBERATION DAY ANNOUNCED - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.05.2011
- Activities to mark the 29th anniversary of the liberation of the Falkland Islands from Argentine occupation in 1982, have been arranged for Tuesday14 June 2011.
- 122: EVANS’ WARRAH MAKES MUSEUM HISTORY - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.05.2011
- Remarkable though it may be, the Evans Warrah has just become even more significant with radiocarbon dating indicating that one of the bones is approximately 1,000 years old –
- 123: MPC THRIFT SHOP PRESENTS CHEQUE TO TS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- On Saturday the 28th May the MPC Thrift Shop presented a cheque for £1,750 to the cadets and CO of TS Endurance (Sea Cadets) based in Stanley.
- 124: FALKLANDS’ GIRL GUIDES BAZAAR REPORT - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 28.05.2011
- The Falkland Islands Guide Association would like to thank all who supported the Association’s Annual Bazaar held on Saturday 28 May.
- 125: FINAL CALL FOR FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR NOMINATIONS - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.05.2011
- The purpose of such awards is to allow the Falkland Islands Government to recognise persons having connections with the Falkland Islands who have, by their loyalty and meritorious conduct, provided services of exceptional benefit to the people of the Falkland Islands.
- 126: Falklands Sea Cadets Receive £1,000 from Oil Ship - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.05.2011
- Stanley Sea and Marine Cadets have received a cheque for £1,000.00 from the crew of M/V Polarcus. Stephan Reese , Vessel Manager for the supply ship, Polarcus and Ken Newton
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 127: Beth John Falklands' May Queen 2011 - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2011
- Beth John has been crowned May Queen 2011 at Stanley Town Hall on Friday, May 20.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 128: NEW RECORD FOR NATWEST ISLAND GAMES - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- Almost 3.500 participants will take part in the Games and this does not include the hundreds of volunteers from Isle of Wight that are needed to run the competition.
- 129: Memorial remembers Britons lost in Antarctica - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- Two memorials dedicated to Britons who lost their lives in the service of science in Antarctica are unveiled this week. Since 1948, a total of 29 people have died in British Antarctic Territory, one of the most extreme, inhospitable and uncharted places on Earth.
- 130: FOXTROT 4 CREW REMEMBERED BY HMS FEARLESS VETERANS - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2011
- A visit by veterans of HMS Fearless was highlighted by the dedication of a memorial moved from Lively Island on Tuesday, 10 May 2011.
- 131: HMS FEARLESS VETERANS RETURN TO THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2011
- Falklands War Veterans from HMS Fearless will be visiting FI next week on pilgrimage and to share memories of their participation in the 1982 Conflict with Argentina.
- 132: Royal Wedding Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2011
- The Hon Mrs Sharon Halford writes that London appears strange to me at the moment. Sitting in traffic in a taxi on our arrival the driver informed us that London was quiet/dead - didn't seem like that to me as the clock was happily adding up the pennies.
- 133: FALKLANDS CELEBRATE WEDDING OF DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.04.2011
- Falkland Islanders were glued to their television sets to witness live the wedding of H.R.H. Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton at 1100 London time on Friday, 29 April 2011.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Courtesy of CNN Kate and Will give "Kiss Number 1" for huge numbers outside Buckingham Palace on their wedding day.
- 134: ANZAC DAY COMMEMORATED IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.04.2011
- A small gathering of Australians, New Zealanders and others commemorated ANZAC Day in the Falklands at Dawn on Monday, 25 April 2011. The commemorations were joined by H. E. the Governor Mr Nigel Haywood.
- 135: MERCIAN REGIMENT BAND VENUES CANCELLED - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.04.2011
- Thanks to the non-arrival of band instruments and equipment on the Air-bridge, the Mercian Regimental Band has suffered a wasted trip to the Falklands.
- 136: NO ONE DOES IT BETTER – EVEN IN WIND AND SMOKE - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.04.2011
- HMS CLYDE anchored in Stanley harbour as a parade to mark the 85th birthday of H. M. the Queen took place at Victory Green on the morning of 21 April 2011. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 137: Hard Work Pays Off for Falklands Production of Dick Whittington - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.04.2011
- If you forgot about FIODA’s rendition of Dick Whittington, performed on the 7th, 8th and 9th of April, you missed a lot
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 138: Falklands' Queen's Certificate Nominations Sought - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.04.2011
- Government has announced it is seeking nominations for the Queen’s certificate and Badge of Honour.
- 139: SHACKLETON SCHOLAR EXHIBITS PHOTOGRAPHIC PROJECT - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.04.2011
- An outstanding exhibition of photos has been hosted by Adam Howe, a Shackleton Scholar, who completed his project on the South Atlantic Island of South Georgia.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 140: Falklands' Representatives to Attend Royal Wedding - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.04.2011
- It has been announced that the Hon Mrs Sharon Halford MLA and her husband, John, will be attending the Royal Wedding on 29 April 2011.
- 141: WOW FACTOR RATINGS FOR FITV - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.04.2011
- Weeks of training and hours of hard work have paid off for FITV, a new joint venture with KTV Limited and Stanley Services Ltd. The first news programme aired at 1900 HRS of Friday, 01 April 2011.
- 142: TRUMPET’S FALKLANDS ARTICLE RESONATES BADLY FOR THE BIBLE - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.04.2011
- If Brad Macdonald got his way Deuteronomy 28:52 would answer all of Argentina’s problems in the South – West Atlantic.
- 143: Falklands not to Fall Back in April - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.04.2011
- cwill not go back this winter. This means that the Falkland Islands will remain on “summer time” throughout the whole of 2011. Normally clocks revert back to mean time on the 3rd Sunday in April.
- 144: SEAMEN’S MISSION RECEIVES NEW VEHICLE - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.03.2011
- Thanks to the efforts of Debbie and Maurice Lake, previous Seamen’s Mission managers, the Stanley Seamen's Mission has recently been the recipient of a £17,400 grant from the International Transport Federation Seafarer's Trust.
- 145: A FALKLANDS STORY OF SUCCESS – 10 YEARS ON - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.03.2011
- It was in November 2000, that the idea of a Charity Shop in the Falklands was muted. The three churches, Christ Church Cathedral, the Tabernacle and St. Mary’s, began making plans for a joint project.
- 146: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- Manuel Mendez, 40, from Buenos Aires, Argentina has won the Stanley marathon in just over 3 hours. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 147: Manuel Mendez Wins Stanley marathon 2011 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.03.2011
- The 7th annual Standard Chartered Bank Stanley marathon was greeted by bright sunshine and light winds on Sunday, 20 March 2011.
- 148: OUTSTANDING EVENING OF CHORAL MUSIC AT THE CATHEDRAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.03.2011
- An outstanding evening of choral music took place at Christ Church Cathedral on Tuesday, 22 February 2011.
- 149: HMS GLAMORGAN ’82 WAR DEAD REMEMBERED - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.02.2011
- Fourteen crew members aboard HMS Glamorgan who died in the 1982 Conflict with Argentina were remembered with the unveilling of a memorial rock of polished Welsh Granite at Hookers’ Point in the Falklands.
- 150: Second Round of Human Rights Training in the Falklands Proposed - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.02.2011
- The Commonwealth Foundation proposes that the training in Human Rights Capacity takes place in the Falklands during the week commencing 25th April 2011.
- 151: Meet the VSOs for St Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 11.02.2011
- Following representations from the Department for International Development (DfID), Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) agreed in 2010 to help with the recruitment of personnel for St Helena. This programme is funded by DfID and as a result of this three volunteers are currently on the Island working with SHG and Civil Society.
- 152: TWO FROM CHARTRES IN DEADLY ROAD ACCIDENT - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2011
- At 8pm on Saturday 22nd January 2011, the Royal Falkland Islands Police (RFIP) received a report of a one vehicle road traffic collision involving a Land Rover 110 motor vehicle on the Hill Cove Road, West Falkland.
- 153: SOUTH GEORGIA POSSESSION DAY OBSERVED AT GOVERNMENT HOUSE - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.01.2011
- The possession of South Georgia for King George and his heirs by Captain James Cook 236 years ago was noted by a reception at Government House on Wednesday night.
- 154: Falklands Preparations Continue for Isle of Wight - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.01.2011
- Preparations for the NatWest Island Games XIV on the Isle of Wight in June are moving forward in a number of areas. Mike Summers tells us more.
- 155: Falklands Say Good-bye to the Red Pulmb - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2011
- The Royal Navy has put an end to speculation about the flood damaged HMS Endurance by announcing that her replacement will be named HMS Protector.
- 156: ARGENTINA COULD PULL COMPLETELY OUT OF THE 1999 AGREEMENT - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.01.2011
- According to the Latin American Press a change in attitude and focus has caused both Kirchner Governments in Argentina to abandon the tenants of the 1999 agreement between Argentina and the United Kingdom regarding the Falkland Islands.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 157: PRIME MINISTER REASSURES FALKLAND ISLANDERS ABOUT CONTINUED BRITISH SOVEREIGNTY - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.12.2010
- The Prime Minister, the Rt Hon David Cameron MP has reassured Falkland Islanders about continued British sovereignty over the Falklands.
- 158: FALKLANDS REMEMBER BRIAN HANRAHAN - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.12.2010
- Brian Hanrahan, 61, the quintessential BBC correspondent, has passed away on 20 December 2010 from cancer
- 159: Death of a Human Being no Cause for Joy in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.10.2010
- Former Argentine President, Nestor Kirchner (60), husband of current Argentine President Christina Fernandez De Kirchner has died of a heart attack in Argentina. According to CNN the former president died at approximately 0930hrs on Wednesday, 27 October 2010 in hospital at Calafate in the Patagonia region of Argentina.
- 160: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report 14/10/10) - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- MS: Quite a lot of athletes have already left of course and gone away but there’s probably about two and a half thousand/three thousand athletes I guess who have just now paraded into the main stadium to a huge cacophony of noise.
- 161: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (13/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- It’s the last day of competition for the Falkland Islands at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. Team manager, Mike Summers, describes how the team have been doing today.
- 162: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (12/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- Falklands Full Bore shooters have been in action today at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi. Full Boar team manager, Derek Pettersson (DP) reports on how Gareth Goodwin and Derek Goodwin performed.
- 163: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (11/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- The Falklands team at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi have had a busy weekend of competition. Team Manager, Mike Summers (MS) reports on how Badminton players fared on Saturday.
- 164: Falklands Team Commonwealth Games Report (10/10/10) - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2010
- The Falklands shooting team have begun competing at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Team Manager, Mike Summers, reports on how the pistol shooters have fared.
- 165: COMMONWEALTH GAMES REPORT FOR WEDNESDAY, 06 OCTOBER 2010: - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.10.2010
- Mike Summers says that he now has been able to establish that the ill person is from Northern Ireland and that the report in the HT was in error.
- 166: Reverend Andrew Jolly dies - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.09.2010
- The Reverend Andrew Jolly, who served two stints as Armed Forces Chaplain in the Falkland Islands, has died at the age of 54.
- 167: Team Falklands and Delhi 2010 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 30.09.2010
- FIOGA Chairman, Mike Summers has now arrived in Delhi along with one member of the Falklands Team. The vast majority of the team are set to arrive on 28th September with others to follow soon after.
- 168: the Governor’s taxi in the Falkland Islands is formally retired - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.09.2010
- The red Austin taxi (chassis no: FL2 DR 28644, car no: H26653) came into service on 20 January 1976 during the time of Governor French. The tradition of having a London taxi as the Crown car in the Falklands was already well-established: at least two black taxis had preceded her. The taxi was considered more practical than other cars on ceremonial occasions because the higher roof and greater space in the rear of the taxi made it easier for a Governor, in full dress uniform with plumes and sword, and his elegantly behatted wife to sit in comfort (and alight with more dignity).
- 169: Falklands: 4 RIFLES ASSUME RIC RESPONSIBILITY - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.09.2010
- R Company, 4th Battalion, the Rifles officially took over from Number 3 Company, 1st Battalion
Welsh Guards on 5th August. Returning from Afghanistan at the end of 2009 the Company was deployed to set the conditions for the presidential elections and worked closely with the Welsh Guards.
- 170: MPC Charities Raise £2400 for Stanley Charity - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.09.2010
- Recently raised money from MPC’s new Thrift Shop, charity busks, a cinema event and local collections have combined to make a massive donation to the local charity Cancer Support and Awareness Trust (CSAAT).
- 171: ALL SET FOR THE 2010 FALKLAND CRAFT FAIR - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.09.2010
- The annual Falkland Craft Fair was held at the Community School over the weekend of 11 and 12 September 2010.
- 172: Falklands Say Farewell to His Excellency the Governor Mr Alan Huckle and Mrs Huckle - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.09.2010
- His Excellency the Governor and Mrs Huckle will leave the Falkland Islands on Saturday 18th September 2010 at the end of the Governor’s tour of duty.
- 173: WILLIE BOWLES AWARDED QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.08.2010
- Mr Willie Bowles has received the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour at a Government House reception held for him on Tuesday evening.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 174: FALKLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR RECIPIENTS NAMED - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.08.2010
- Falkland Islanders who have given outstanding service to the community have this year been awarded of the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour.
- 175: Mrs Hilda Clingham 100 and Feeling “Great” - St Helena (Heritage) - 29.07.2010
- “ I feel great” are the words of an amazing lady, Mrs Hilda Clingham who, on Friday, 23rd July 2010, celebrated her 100th Birthday.
- 176: St Helena Certificate And Badge Of Honour To Mr Robert Macmillan Robertson - St Helena (Heritage) - 29.07.2010
- At approximately 1.30pm this afternoon, at the General Hospital, His Excellency Governor Andrew Gurr presented an Award of the Certificate and Badge of Honour to Mr Robert Macmillian Robertson,
- 177: REPAIR AND REFURBISHMENT OF THE CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL CLOCK - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 25.07.2010
- Good progress is being made with the project to repair and refurbish the 106 year old clock of Christ Church Cathedral.
- 178: St Helena's Acts of Bravery Recognised - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.07.2010
- On an isolated island such as St Helena, any unusual incident or tragedy affects most, if not all, of the community and there are some who go to great lengths to ensure rescue/closure for many.
- 179: Julian Yon Wins Spinning Wheel Trophy - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.07.2010
- Julian Yon has won the Spinning Wheel Trophy at the Susan Whitley Annual Exhibition held at the Infant/ Junior School and the Community School on the weekend of 03 and 04 July 2010. The Ex was also open on Monday.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 180: St Helena Celebrates Armed Forces Day - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.06.2010
- In spite of the overcast weather conditions, approximately 85 people attended the “Raising the Flag for our Armed Forces” ceremony which was held in front of the Court House in Jamestown on Saturday, 26th June.
- 181: Falklands Jelly Tots Celebrate 21st Anniversary - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.06.2010
- Jelly Tots have celebrated their 21st Anniversary with a birthday party held at the Town Hall in Stanley on Sunday, 20 June 2010.
- 182: Falklands Celebrate 60th Anniversary of Stanley Badminton Club - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.06.2010
- Stanley Badminton Club (SBC) was first founded, with the approval of the Stanley Town Council, on 28 June 1950 under the chairmanship of Bert Livermore and was played in the old gymnasium on Ross Road.
- 183: Rockhopper Copper to Receive MBE - Tristan (Heritage) - 18.06.2010
- Conrad Glass or Connie as he is more affectionately known, has for many years provided loyal and dedicated service to the Tristanian community as a policeman, politician and on occasion Acting Administrator.
- 184: Address by the Representative, Sukey Cameron MBE, at the Falkland Islands Government Annual Reception on Wednesday 16th June 2010 - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.06.2010
- As always, I begin by welcoming you to our Annual Reception and thanking you for your support. In times of change and uncertainty, it is good to have so many friends. We are very grateful
- 185: Chilean Earthquake Appeal Earns Nearly 27,000 for Chilean Town - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.06.2010
- A small town in Chile is to benefit from the £26,600.19 that was raised after an 8.8 earthquake hit that country in February.
- 186: Falklands Commemorate Liberation Day - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.06.2010
- The Falklands have marked the 28th anniversary of liberation with a service at Christ Church Cathedral officiated by the Rev Richard Hines who welcomed visiting veterans as well as H. E. the Governor Mr Alan and Mrs Helen Huckle, Commander British Forces, Commodore Philip Thicknesse and Mrs Thicknesse, Members of Legislative Assembly, and the general public.
- 187: Liberation Day in the Falklands Commemorated - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2010
- The skies cried on Liberation Day but this didn't stop us from remembering thiose who gave their lives for our freedom.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 188: Mari-Ann Clarke Falklands May Queen 2010 - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.05.2010
- The picture shows left to rightt, Prince Charming, Dominic Jaffray,May Queen, Mari-Ann Clarke, H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle, May Princess Nina Humphreys and Prince Charming Runner-up, Kyran Evans. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 189: Civilian Chaplains to the Military visit British Forces South Atlantic Islands - All (Heritage) - 21.05.2010
- Mount Pleasant and the local community proudly joined together last week to welcome the five MOD-employed chaplains of different faiths on their first visit to an operational theatre.
- 190: Liberty Lodge and KEMH Benefit from Boxer Bridge Yomp - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.05.2010
- A charity walk to Boxer Bridge in April helped to raise £2,000.00 for Liberty Lodge and £1300.00 for the KEMH.
- 191: 40 YEARS WITHOUT THE SS GREAT BRITAIN REMEBERED AT MUSEUM - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.05.2010
- A reception to commemorate 40 years since the Brunel’s SS Great Britain’s removal to the UK was held at the Museum on Thursday, 13 May 2010. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 192: MPA Falklands Celebrates 25 Years of Service - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.05.2010
- In mid1983 a decision was taken by HMG to purchase land in the Falklands for £29.00 an acre from the Falkland Islands Company at Mount Pleasant and build an international airport on the property.
- 193: Falkland Islands represented at London Festival of Stamps - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2010
- Postmaster Moira Eccles is attending the 2010 International Stamp Exhibition, which is being held from 8th to 15th May.
- 194: South Georgia Reception Held at Government House - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 01.05.2010
- A reception for the 28th anniversary of the liberation of South Georgia was held at Government House on Monday, 26 April 2010.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 195: Falklands Military Walk for Local Charities - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.05.2010
- Last weekend, thirteen personnel serving with the Catering and Rations Squadron battled it out with the weather to raise money for Stanley Hospital and Liberty Lodge.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 196: No Rain on Queen’s Birthday Parade in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.04.2010
- A parade to celebrate the 84th birthday of Her Majesty the Queen was held at Victory Green on Wednesday 21st April 2010.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 197: Falklands: Message from the Falkland Islands Government on the 28th Anniversary of the invasion by Argentina - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Today we remember the events of 2 April 1982 which led to the deaths of over nine hundred people in the Falkland Islands over a period of 74 days.
- 198: Falklands Governor's Flag Display in Penang - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Mr Clay Moss, (left) from the Dalat International School in Penang Malaysia is pictured with his Vexillology class - the study of flags.
- 199: Corporal Sets New Course Record in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- Corporal Frear recently participated in the Stanley Marathon, not only winning the event outright but also setting a new course record.
- 200: Earth Hour Celebrated in the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.04.2010
- The Falkland Islands became the 125th territory to participate in the global ‘Earth Hour’ event on Saturday March 27, 2010.
- 201: St Helena's Tortoises at Plantation House - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 01.04.2010
- He could be the oldest living creature in the world and he lives on the lawn in front of Plantation House
- 202: Falklands RAF Movers Remember the Fallen - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.03.2010
- On a blustery 10 Feb 10, 8000 miles from home, 9 members of the Air Movements Flight, British Forces South Atlantic Islands, travelled to the capital of the Falkland Islands, Port Stanley, to pay respect to two Royal Marines killed in action during the 1982 conflict, Sgt Roger Enefer & Sgt Bob Leeming.
- 203: New Record for Most Southerly Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.03.2010
- Appalling weather can bring out the worst in many runners but for Stephen Frear, RAF, stationed at Mount Pleasant, it brought out the best.
- 204: Cathedral Clock Removed for Repair and Renovation - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.03.2010
- An operation to bring down the clock at Christ Church Cathedral took place on Monday, 08 March 2010 beginning at 0830hrs
- 205: Martin Collins to Run Stanley Marathon - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 13.03.2010
- Martin Collins, Senior Executive and Director of Fisheries is to run the Stanley Marathon on Sunday the 14th of March.
- 206: A message from Her Majesty The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth - All (Heritage) - 13.03.2010
- Today’s societies are constantly seeking ways to improve their quality of life, and science and technology play a vital part in that search.
- 207: St Helena Mourns Former Governor - St Helena (Heritage) - 25.02.2010
- The St Helena Government has received news of the sad passing of former Governor, Michael Clancy, who served on St Helena as Chief Secretary from 1997 to 2000 and later as Governor and Commander in Chief of St Helena and its Dependencies from 2004 to 2007.
- 208: Falklands' Cape Pembroke Results - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.02.2010
- Stephen Frear RAF, won the Cape Pembroke Half Marathon in a record time of 1:14:05 despite head-on and sideways winds and sleet.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Winners in the Cape Pembroke Half Marathon
- 209: FALKLAND ISLANDS QUEEN’S CERTIFICATE AND BADGE OF HONOUR - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 11.02.2010
- As already announced following January’s Executive Council Meeting, Her Majesty The Queen has been pleased to agree that the Queen’s Certificate and accompanying Badge of Honour may be awarded in the Falkland Islands.
- 210: Monsignor McPartland has Private Audience with Pope - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 06.02.2010
- Photo (c) L'Osservatore Romano - Monsignor Mc Partland explains about the Apostolic Prefecture in the South Atlantic.
- 211: TONY BANKS GREETED WITH ENTHUSIASM AT 1982 MEMORIAL - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- Unlike his experience on a terraced street in Liverpool, Tony Banks was greeted with warm enthusiasm when he completed his yomp from San Carlos to Stanley via Goose Green.
- 212: CDR DONDE TO DEPART FALKLANDS ON MONDAY - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- Commander Dilip Donde, a naval officer seeking to become the first Indian to sail solo around the world, will be departing from the FIC jetty at 1000hrs on Monday, 01 February 2010.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPA HMS York Shadows commander Donde's yacht
- 213: THE REV PAUL EVANS RETURNS TO HELP OUT AT THE TAB - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2010
- The Rev Paul Evans, who paid a pastoral visit to the Tabernacle Church during June and July last year travelled back to Malawi in November and is currently in Zimbabwe, his plans are that he will return to the UK in late February and already has plans for a return visit to the Falkland Islands.
- 214: Commodore Bannerjee and Commander Donde visit HMS YORK & HMS CLYDE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.01.2010
- Commodore Bannerjee and Commander Donde took the time out of a hectic repair schedule to visit their naval counterparts, HMS YORK and HMS CLYDE.
- 215: British Forces welcome Commander Donde to Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.01.2010
- The Falkland Islands, the United Kingdom and British Forces South Atlantic Islands were delighted to welcome Commander Donde to Stanley as he reached the half point in his epic and potentially record breaking journey around the globe.
- 216: HISTORY MAKING YACHTSMAN ARRIVES IN THE FALKLANDS - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.01.2010
- Commander Dilip Donde, a naval officer seeking to become the first Indian to sail solo around the world, has arrived at FIPASS in Stanley, Falkland Islands at approximately 1100hrs LMT on Saturday 16 January 2010 aboard his yaht, 'Mhandei'. His yacht was met by a flotilla of launches and yachts at the mouth of Port William and the entourage made its way past the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse and through the narrows.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 217: JANE CAMERON REMEMBERED - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.01.2010
Jane was a child of these Islands, born 60 years ago tomorrow less than a mile from this Cathedral – the daughter and granddaughter of sheep farmers on her father’s side and the granddaughter of a former Colonial Secretary and Governor on her mother’s.
(As Read out by Donald Cameron on Monday, 11 January 2010)
- 218: FIOGA Certificates Presented at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2010
- A presentation of FIOGA Certificates for the Falklands’ Golf Team took place at Government House at 1800hrs on Wednesday, 06 January 2010.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Left - Kevin Clapp, Centre, Steve Vincent, Rig, Rod Tuckwood
- 219: Festive lunch for de-miners held at seamen’s mission - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2010
- Alison Ward tells us more!
Photo (c) Alison Ward
- 220: Falklands - Book Launch for Dave Eynon - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- Dave Eynon signs copies of his book entitled “Beneath Falkland Island Waters” at the Boathouse Café on Friday, 11 December 2009. Photo (c) Leeann Eynon
- 221: 'Ascot Ladies' Raise Money for Charity - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The photo at the top shows the Ladies – Alison Ward, Cathy Jacobsen, Tanzi Jacobsen, Julie Courtney and Theresa Lang and the Juniors – left to right – Louise Williams, Tiegan Curtis and Tanisha Courtney with the Cancer Support and Awareness cheque
- 222: Elizabeth Medal for Ann Reid - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.01.2010
- At a reception at Government House on Tuesday, 05 January 2010 Mrs Ann Reid became the first person in the Falkland Islands to receive the Elizabeth Medal and Memorial Scroll.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) It was a family loss that meant so much to the Falklands.
- 223: Prime Minister Reinforces Self Determination for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.01.2010
- 2009 has been another year of significant change for the Falkland Islands. Your democracy was further strengthened by your new Constitution and by the elections which took place in November when an unprecedented and high voter turn-out resulted in a totally new Legislative Assembly. I wish the new Assembly Members well for their terms in office.
- 224: All Set for the Stanley 2010 Raft Race - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.12.2009
- The Falklands’ rafting community, said to be a cross-societal group, will be partaking in the annual ‘Stanley Raft Race’ on 1 Jan 2010. Festivities start at 1230hrs.
- 225: New Chairman for the South Georgia Association - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 21.11.2009
- The South Georgia Association has announced the name of its new chairman. He is Professor David J. Drewry, a former director of the Scott Polar Research Institute and of the British Antarctic Survey and Director General of the British Council, who has recently retired as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hull.
- 226: Falklands fire Engine Pull for Charity - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.11.2009
- The annual Falkland Islands Fire & Rescue Service Fire Engine Pull will take place on Saturday 28th November2009. Starting from Government house at 14.00 hrs, the fire engine will be pulled down Ross Road to the Public Jetty.
- 227: South Georgia Experience Leads To Dame Ellen Retirement - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 13.11.2009
- Sarah Lurcock tells us of the affect South Georgia's magic had on Dame Ellen Macarthur.
- 228: Tristan Notes Remembrance Sunday 2009 - Tristan (Heritage) - 09.11.2009
- This year a combined service for Remembrance Day was held in St Joseph Catholic Church at 9am by Dereck Rogers, supported by Anne and James the Catholic Lay Ministers. The following is brief of what was said on behalf of those who died serving their country.
- 229: All Set for Stanley Cricket Association - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.11.2009
- The new Cricket Season will begin in November, thought the forst games have not been scheduled.
- 230: Saints and Sailors Ex Opens at Christ Church Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.11.2009
- An exhibition called “Saints and Sailors Faith and Courage in the South Atlantic” has opened in Christ Church Cathedral on Sunday, 01 November 2009. A special showing took place at 1600hrs on Saturday, 31 October.
Photo J. Brock (FINN) - photo of a drawing from the records of the voyage of HMS Beagle
- 231: Minister Congratulates All on Successful Next of Kin Visits - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.10.2009
- The Minister responsible for the Falklands has congratulated all who were involved in organising the NOK visits on 03 and 10 October.
Photo: J. Brock - Submitted by kind permission of Fr Peter Norris
- 232: Meaningful and Dignified Next of Kin Visit to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.10.2009
- President Christina Fernandez de Kirchner, this time in Buenos Aires, wished the 183 people on pilgrimage to Darwin Cemetery in the Falklands well before they set off for their journey.
- 233: SOMBRE NEXT OF KIN VISIT HELD AT DARWIN CERETERY - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.10.2009
- One hundred and seventy Argentine Next of Kin landed at Mount Pleasant complex after being seen off at Rio Gallegos by President Christina Fernandez de Kirchner.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 234: Successful Falklands Craft Fair Well Attended - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.09.2009
- The annual Falkland Craft Fair has completed in Stanley with an increasing number of high-quality entrants.
- 235: Falklands Mark Lord Buxton's Passing - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.09.2009
- The photo shows his arrival on one of the first flights to land at Mount Pleasant on 12 May 1985. Sir Rex Hunt greeted the Secretary of State for Defence, Mr Michael Heseltine. Lord Buxton is seen on the steps and is located 4th from the bottom. Photo © Crown Copyright – Photo Section Mount Pleasant
- 236: All Set For the Falkland Craft Fair - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.09.2009
- The annual Falkland Craft Fair will be held at the Community School on the weekend of 12 and 13 September 2009.
- 237: Argentine NOK Scoping Visit in Progress - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.08.2009
- A scoping visit from the Argentine Families Commission has been taking place in the Falklands. During the visit there has been group visits to Darwin Cemetery as well as the British Cemetery at San Carlos.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Top Left to Right, Tomas Pico, Nestor Gustavo Aguirrre, Paul Martinez, Hector Cisneros Bottom Left to Right, Leandro de la Colina, Jorge Francisco Racca and Carlos Daniel Salazar.
- 238: Argentine Families' Commission in Falklands Scoping Visit - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.08.2009
- Government House in the Falklands has announced that Members of the Argentine Families' Commission arrived in the Falkland Islands on 26 August to carry out a scoping visit in preparation for the main Next of Kin visits on 3 and 10 October 2009.
- 239: Falklands Councillors Expres Disquiet After Regular Passengers Bumped off Argentine NOK Flights - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.08.2009
- On Sunday, 23 August 2009 several people told FINN that they had been bumped off LAN flights due to take place on 03 and 10 October 2009 – the timing of Argentine Next of Kin flights to the Falklands.
- 240: New Website for Falklands Philatelic Bureau - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.08.2009
- The Falkland Islands Philatelic Bureau has announced their new website. “We're so impressed with it and have told our friends,” says the website.
- 241: Argentine Next of Kin Visit Set for October - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.08.2009
- FIRS' Stacey Bragger updates us on the Argentine Next of Kin visit to the Falklands
- 242: Members of 2 Para Complete TAB to Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.08.2009
- Recreating the 1982 tab, members of 2 Para entered Stanley on Thursday afternoon. Braving weather that had been kind and sometimes unkind, the men braved the conditions and completed the task that colleagues did during Operation Corporate.
- 243: Falklands - The Infant/Junior School Has Talent - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.08.2009
- Playing to a packed house on both nights, the students showed their expertise in singing, dancing and playing musical instruments.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The players and poets of the Infant Junior School
- 244: New Role for Alex Saunders - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.07.2009
- Alex Sanders was ordained deacon at a moving service in the Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary in Chester on Sunday July 6th.
Photos: Donated by The Rev Kathy Biles
- 245: Falklands Pray for HM Armed Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.07.2009
- Padre Andrew Wakeham-Dawson, Congregational Leader Jackie Earnshaw and the Rev Dr Richard Hines before participating in a prayer service for Renewal and Support for Members of HM Armed Forces.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 246: PAUL EVANS – A FOCUS ON TRAINING LOCAL PASTORS - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.07.2009
- Rev Paul Evans normally has his ministry in Zimbabwe but is presently in the Falklands for a few months to preach and teach at the Tabernacle Free Church in Stanley.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) the Rev Paul Evans
- 247: Islanders Querry - Who's Ahead after 10 Years of the Agreement? - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.07.2009
- It has been 10 years since the July 14th Agreement with Argentina that allowed LAN flights to continue flying to the Falklands.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN) The strength of feeling about an agreement with Argentina in 1 999 was evident with two demonstrations. One was held on 11 July and the other when the first group of Argentines left at the end of August. In this photo Glenda and Ben Watson show their displeasure about the Agreement.
- 248: Anglican Rector welcomes Bishop Stephen Venner’s continuing role for the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.07.2009
- The Anglican Rector of the Falkland Islands, Dr Richard Hines has welcomed today’s announcement from Lambeth Palace UK that Bishop Stephen Venner is to continue as Anglican Bishop for the Falkland Islands.
- 249: New Bishop to the Forces - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.07.2009
- The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has announced the appointment of the Rt Revd Dr Stephen Venner as Bishop to the Forces.
- 250: Mid Winter Swim Attracts 350 - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2009
- A day early but not lacking in chill, the Annual Mid Winter Swim was held at Surf Bay. Approximately 350 polar bathers took part in the swim with descriptions of the water ranging from numbing to exhilarating.
- 251: NEW ROLE FOR FORMER FALKLANDS CHIEF EXEC - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2009
- Michael Blanch, a former Falklands Chief Executive, will be ordained a curate during a service at Ripon Cathedral on Sunday, 28 June 2009. He will serve as a curate in the Yorkshire Dales - Askrigg united with Stallingbusk.
- 252: Armed Forces Day Marked in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2009
- Dry run – Geoffrey Stevens tries out the flag prior to the ceremony on Tuesday.
Photo (c) Paul Martinez
- 253: FLY-AWAY RAFFLE DRAWN IN STANLEY - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2009
- At the weekend, the Guide Association held their annual flyaway and bumper raffle.
- 254: Mid Winter Fayre nets £2,413 - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2009
- Christ Church Cathedral held a Mid Winter Fayre in aid or Church maintenance funds.
- 255: Antarctic Band Remembers Michael Jackson - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 26.06.2009
- Tony from Antarctica had his say but it's got us guessing about what British Antarctic Survey Base he's on.
Photo (c) British Antarctic Survey
- 256: Falklands are GO for the Island Games - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.06.2009
- The team going to the Island Games were given a reception at Government House on Friday evening.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Members of the Falklands Team to the Island Games.
- 257: Falklands Busk Raises £218 for Musequality - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.06.2009
- Thanks to students from the Falkland Islands Community School, the Dog Handling Section at MPC, Police Chief Paul Elliott and the Band of the Royal Logistical Corps, the grand total of £218.00 was raised in aid of Musequality, a UK-based charity, funds communal music projects for some of the poorest children in the developing world.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Falklands' Buskers earning money for a music charity.
- 258: Young Falklands' Drivers Face Off Road Challenge - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.06.2009
- Last week saw service personnel taking to the roads in their Landrovers and demonstrating some excellent driving at Mount Pleasant Complex (MPC) during a “Young Drivers’ Challenge”. The competition aimed to practice and enhance the driving skills of drivers in order to promote and improve road safety within the Falkland Islands especially those within the 17 – 25 year age group.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 259: Falklands to Celebrate Armed Forces Day - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.06.2009
- Armed Forces Day in the Falklands will be celebrated by a flag raising ceremony to be held on Tuesday 23rd June at 15.30 at Government House.
- 260: St Helena - Commemorating Armed Forces Day - St Helena (Heritage) - 18.06.2009
- St Helena has been invited to participate in the Armed Forces Day flag-raising ceremony entitled: Fly a Flag for Our Armed Forces. This is to take place on Monday 22 June 2009 in front of the Court House in Jamestown commencing at 10.15am.
- 261: Sunny Outcome for Falklands 27 - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2009
- The 27th anniversary of liberation from Argentine occupation has been marked in Stanley.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle lays a wreath at the Liberation Monument on Sunday morning.
- 262: Address by The Representative, Sukey Cameron MBE, at the Falkland Islands Government Annual Reception - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2009
- This has been a roller-coaster year for the global economy, so it might be appropriate for me to begin by asking “Do you want the good news or the bad news?”! Fortunately for the Falkland Islands, there is more good news than bad.
- 263: Falklands' Students to Participate in World Busk - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2009
- According to Mrs Shirley Adams – Leach, MBE, the Students from the Falklands are going to participate in a World Busk on Sunday, 14 June 2009.
- 264: Falklands - MPC versus HMS Manchester - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.06.2009
- On Tuesday Mount Pleasant Complex (MPC) hosted a friendly rugby game against the crew of the departing HMS Manchester. The keenly contested game played in light, but chilly winds saw good camaraderie and game spirit by both sides.
Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 265: Falklands - Mid Winter Swim Gets Closer - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.06.2009
- According to a Military spokesman, it is that time of year again when normally sane and rational people in the Falkland Islands tear off their clothes and throw themselves into the South Atlantic in the name of a good cause!
- 266: Goose Green Remembrance 27 years on - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.06.2009
- On a fresh, but clear Friday morning the annual Remembrance Service took place to commemorate the anniversary of the day Argentine commanders at Goose Green agreed to surrender to British Forces Photo (c) Photo Section MPC
- 267: UK Embassy Confirms Argentine Next of Kin Visit - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.05.2009
- In parallel with the Governor's address, the British Ambassador in Buenos Aires, Shan Morgan, made the following announcement at 10.30 (Falkland Islands time).
- 268: Sally Heathman is May Queen 2009 - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2009
- Sally Heathman, resplendent in an aquamarine floor-length gown, has been crowned May Queen 2009 by H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle.
- 269: Gurkhas Build a bridge in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.05.2009
- Always popular with Islanders, Gurkhas have built a bridge in the Falklands to help the community. Photo (c) Photographic Section MPC
- 270: Chief of Joint Operations Visits the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.05.2009
- Last week, the newly appointed Chief of Joint Operations PJHQ (UK) Air Marshal Sir Stuart Peach KCB CBE arrived in the Falkland Islands to a packed schedule.
Photo (C) Photo Section MPC
- 271: FIRE SECTION AT MPC RAISE MONEY FOR MEMORIAL WOOD - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.05.2009
- A cheque for £1275.00 and a commemorative plaque were handed over to Tim Miller of the Memorial Wood project at 1400 hrs on Friday afternoon.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Sgt Sean Green of the Fire Section at MPC hands over a cheque for £1275.00 and a commemorative plaque to Tim Miller for use at the Memorial Wood.
- 272: SUNNY VENUE FOR QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY PARADE - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.04.2009
- A parade to celebrate the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen was held at Victory Green on Tuesday.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN)
- 273: Copies of Perloined Map Given to Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.04.2009
- When Graham Caldwell left the Falklands in 1982 he took something with him. C) J. Brock (FINN)
- 274: Memorial Service Marks 25thAnniversary of KEMH Fire - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.04.2009
- A memorial service to mark the 25th anniversary of the KEMH fire was held in the Hospital garden on Friday, 10 April 2009.
- 275: HILL COVE ROOF REPAIR - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.04.2009
- During their deployment to the Falkland Islands, 73 Armoured Engineer Squadron based in North Yorkshire, were presented with an opportunity to practice their roof repairing skills and assist the local community.
- 276: Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award to Mr Zoran Zuvic - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.04.2009
- HRH the Princess Royal presents the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award to Mr Zoran Zuvic. Right, Zoran Zuvic stands with Mr Daniel McGill who received a Chief Scout’s Gold Award and Julian Yon, who also received the Chief Scout’s Gold Award. Photos (C) Mario Zuvic
(Photos (c) Mr Mario Zuvic
- 277: Model of HMS Victory Presented to Stanley Museum - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.04.2009
- Chief Engineer, Derek Forward of BAS hands over a model of HMS Victory made by Mr Bob Norton to Mrs Leona Roberts, Curator at the Stanley Museum on Friday afternoon.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 278: Princess Royal Begins Falklands Visit - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.03.2009
- HRH the Princess Royal has completed day two of a three-day visit to the Falklands.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN) - HRH and Mr Nick Barrett with Barbara Booth and Cllr Stevens.
- 279: MPA Based Winner for World's Most Southerly Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.03.2009
- The Standard Chartered Stanley Marathon has taken place on Sunday, 15 March 2009. Fifty eight marathon runners – a new record for the event, as well as sixteen relay teams consisting of 64 runners brought the total number of participants to one hundred and twenty two.
- 280: Whalebone Arch Undergoes a Face Lift - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.03.2009
- Hugh Marsden and Steve Massem are in the process of sanding down the Whalebone Arch in preparation for some restorative work to the structure. The project is funded by the Museum and National Trust.
- 281: Argentine '82 Veteran Honoured at Darwin Cemetery - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.03.2009
- The remains of 1st Lt. Jorge Casco were buried at Darwin cemetery on Saturday 7 March 2009 in the presence of family members who travelled to and from the Islands on a private civil aircraft.
- 282: Brian Binley MP Responds to Argentine Critics - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.03.2009
- Brian Binley MP has received several emails from upset Argentineans about his visit to the Falklands, please find below the response he has sent back to them:
- 283: Bishop Stephen Announces Retirement Date - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.02.2009
- The Rt Revd Dr Stephen Venner who has been Bishop of Dover and Bishop in Canterbury since 1999 has announced his intention to retire at the end of November this year.
- 284: MBE PRESENTED TO SHIRLEY ADAMS-LEACH - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.02.2009
- On Thursday, 26 march 2009 Mrs Shirley Adams-Leach received her MBE at Government House. Approximately 50 of her colleagues and friends attended the reception where H.E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle read the Royal Warrant and presented the MBE to Mrs Adams-Leach.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle presents the MBE to Mrs Adams-Leach
- 285: Hugh Marsden Wins Stanley Running Club Half Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.02.2009
- The Stanley Running Club Half Marathon was completed shortly after noon on Sunday, 23 February 2009. Hugh Marsden, first man, clocked a time of 1 hour, 19 minutes and 31 seconds.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Hugh Marsden receives a first prize watercolour of the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse.
- 286: HRH THE PRINCESS ROYAL TO VISIT THE SOUTH ATLANTIC - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.02.2009
- Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal will be visiting the South Atlantic Islands of the Falklands and South Georgia from 23 March to 03 April 2009 at the invitation of the South Georgia Heritage Trust (SGHT).
- 287: Happy 90th for Nanny Flo - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.02.2009
- Several invited guests helped to celebrate the 90th birthday of Nanny Flo Fullerton during a tea party at Government House on Saturday, 31 January 2009.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 288: Home from Home Opened in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.02.2009
- On Thursday afternoon “Smoky” stood with Lt Col Tony Davies ,MBE, Russell Thompson, OBE, Royal British Legion Director of National Events and Fundraising and Anya Cofre, Lodge Manager in front of the Liberty Lodge Welcome Sign. Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 289: Third Falklands Visit for Bishop Venner - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.02.2009
- Bishop Stephen Venner is visiting the Falklands on behalf of the Archbishop of Canterbury. This time he is accompanied by his wife, Mrs Judy Venner. The couple arrived on Monday, 16 February.
- 290: St Helena Rock-fall Protection Project - St Helena (Heritage) - 21.02.2009
- The Project Manager, Bobby Essex, would like to compliment the supervisors and the local work force on the excellent progress made with the work so far on the Rock-fall Protection Project funded by FCO and DFID.
- 291: Government House Gardens Open for Flowers, Veg and Liquid Sunshine - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 21.02.2009
- Another superb Government House gardens open day was held between 1400 and 1600 on Saturday, 14 February 2009.
- 292: Falkland Islands - A Farewell to the QEII - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.02.2009
- The Falklands have celebrated the life and work of the QEII with an issue of stamps.
- 293: Finance for One of Saint Helena’s Wonders - St Helena (Heritage) - 04.02.2009
- The project, to produce a detailed assessment of High Knoll Fort, was recently given funding by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Overseas Territories Programme Fund (OTPF).
- 294: Falklands Duty for Prince William - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.02.2009
- The UK media have been carrying the story that Prince William will be coming to the Falklands in his first tour of duty after training as part of his RAF attachment as a search and rescue helicopter pilot. This has been picked up in the Argentine press.
The facts are that, during a press facility given at RAF Shawbury about Prince William's SAR training, the point was made that, during his 3 year tour as an SAR pilot, one of the places to which he might be posted is the Falklands but he needs to complete his training first. The UK press seems to have converted the 'might' into 'will' and stated, without confirmation, that his first tour of duty would be the Falklands later this year.
None of this is confirmed and MOD do not comment on individual postings.
- 295: Cllr Mike Summers' Statement About HMS ENDURANCE - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.01.2009
- Stacey Bragger of FIRS Quizzes Cllr Mike Summers about the fate of the HMS ENDURANCE.
- 296: Falklands Mark Dr Colin Phipps' Passing - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.01.2009
- Dr Colin Phipps, founding Chairman of Desire Petroleum plc, former Chairman of Falklands Conservation and former Member of Parliament, Westminster, died peacefully in hospital, with his family in attendance on Saturday night 10 January 2009.
- 297: Falklands New Years Honours Announced - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.01.2009
- Two people related to the Falkland Islands have been given New Year’s Honours by H. M. the Queen. Mrs Shirley Adams-Leach (MBE) and Brigadier Nick Davies MC (CBE) will receive their awards in due course.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Shirley Adams-Leach is involved in a variety of musical activities that involve the entire community.
- 298: Brigadier Davies Awarded CBE - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 10.01.2009
- In the Queens New Years honours list Brigadier Nicholas Roy Davies MBE MC,
Late The Parachute Regiment, has been appointed to the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire as a Commander.
- 299: Prime Minister Gives Falklands 100% Backing - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.01.2009
- "AS ALWAYS, MAKE IT CLEAR IN ANY SUCH DISCUSSIONS THAT WE HAVE NO DOUBTS ABOUT THE UNITED KINGDOM’S SOVEREIGNTY OF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS. "
- 300: Stanley Sports Association Christmas Meeting Day 2 - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.12.2008
- People enjoyed a full day of races and foot events.
- 301: H E The Governor's Christmas Message for 2008 - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.12.2008
- The New Year will mark an important milestone in bringing in the new Constitution on 1 January.
- 302: Stanley Sports Assiciation 96th Boxing Day Meeting - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.12.2008
- The 96th annual Stanley Sports Association Christmas meeting is taking place at the Stanley Racecourse.
- 303: St Helena Bishop's Christmas Message - St Helena (Heritage) - 23.12.2008
- Christmas is the time when we think of the Baby Jesus being born in a stable in Bethlehem. We all love a baby, so much so that we are often in danger of sentimentalising the Christmas story and missing the whole point of Christmas.
- 304: Battle Day Commemorated in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.12.2008
- A HOLIDAY TO COMMEMORATE THE 94TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE Battle of the Falklands has been held in Stanley on Monday, 08 December 2008.
- 305: Horace (Su) Binnie Much Loved and Sadly Missed - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.11.2008
- (An Obituary Presented by the Rev Dr Richard Hines)
Photos supplied by Muriel Harvey Rose and Su playing records.
- 306: Remembrance Sunday Observed in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.11.2008
- Sunday 9th November 2008, Remembrance Sunday, was breezy but sunny during the best part of the day.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle lays a wreath at the Cross of Sacrifice on Remembrance Sunday.
- 307: Jhellum Breaks Up in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.10.2008
- The last wooden ship built in Liverpool that is above water is falling apart in the Falklands.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) This is how it looked just after 1215 on Saturday, 18 October 2008
- 308: Falklands Observe 'Peat Cutting Monday' - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.10.2008
- Peat cutting has declined since people switched to Kero or Diesel for heating. However, with fuel prices as they are, those on peat have an advantage.
- 309: FALKLANDS WISH HMS CLYDE A HAPPY 1ST YEAR ON PATROL - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.09.2008
- The Falklands have helped to celebrate one year on patrol for HMS Clyde. Festivities began with a cocktail party for invited guests on Friday, 19 September, with an open day held on Saturday, 20 September.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Stanley residents were treated to static displays on the aft deck of HMS Clyde.
- 310: FALKLANDS WELCOME NEW BRITISH CITIZENS - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.09.2008
- The Falklands have welcomed three new British Citizens at a reception at Government House on Monday, 15 September 2008.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) the Gallardo Family
- 311: Falklands Craft Fair Winners - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.09.2008
- Though entries were down this year the quality was high.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Margot Smallwood instructs a young member of the community in the art of spinning.
- 312: CHARITY BALL ART EXHIBITION HELD AT THE TOWN HALL - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.09.2008
- The Falklands Conservation Charity Ball Artwork Exhibition was open to invited guests on Thursday evening from 1800 to 2000.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) A photo of one of the items for sale.
- 313: Falklands: Robin Woods Receives MBE at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.09.2008
- Mr Robin Woods has received an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) at a reception at Government House on Wednesday10 September 2008. Approximately 100 people attended the reception and watched on as Mr Woods received his OBE from H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H E the Governor Mr Alan Huckle presents the MBE to Robin Woods
- 314: Nat Geo Channel Launched for KTV - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.09.2008
- KTV have launched a new channel on their general service, bringing up the tally to 12 Channels. The National Geographic Channel provides scientific and natural history programmes.
- 315: Stamp Issue Helps to Celebrate 90th Anniversary of the RAF - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.08.2008
- The Falkland Islands Post Office and Philatelic Bureau are pleased to announce the release of a Sheetlet of four stamps and a First Day of Issue cover to commemorate the 90th Anniversary of the Royal Air Force.
Photo (c) Photographic Section (MPC) - Anton Livermore, Head of the Philatelic Bureau Air Commodore Gordon Moulds hold a framed first day cover of the 90th anniversary issue.
- 316: Gold Medal Rifle Team Honoured at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.08.2008
- A reception at Government House on Friday evening was held in honour of the Falkland Islands Rifle Association’s Bisley team winning the trophy for the Junior Kolapore Cup, the Junior Mackinnion and the Nobel Aggregate Cup.
- 317: Falklands Issue Aviation Stamp Issue - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.08.2008
- A new Aviation Stamp issue will be available from the Falklands Philatelic Bureau
- 318: 100th ANNIVERSARY OF LETTERS PATENT CELEBRATED AT G. H. - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.07.2008
- On Monday, 21 July 2008 a celebration marking the 100th anniversary of the issuing of Letters of Patent setting up the South Atlantic British Overseas Territories was held at Government House.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Harriet Hall, Assistant Commissioner for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands tells all gathered at Government House what the Letters of Patient are all about.
- 319: Human Remains Transferred to Argentina - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.07.2008
- HE the Governor has confirmed that arrangements were made for human remains, believed to be of Argentine origin from the 1982 conflict, to be transferred to Argentina via the LAN Chile flight on Saturday 19 July '08.
- 320: NICK AND SHEILA HADDEN TRAVEL 8,000 MILES TO CELEBRATE DIAMOND WEDDING ANNIVERSARY OF A FRIEND - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.07.2008
- David Porter writes that there was a special celebration for Inverurie couple Jimmy and Nellie Knowles this week when the pair celebrated their Diamond wedding anniversary with friends and family.
- 321: Tierra del Fuego - Falklands Diocese Out of the Question Says Monsignor McPartland - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2008
- An article on the Catholic World News website caught the eye of many in the Falklands when it published an article dealing with splitting a Diocese in Patagonia and making a new Diocese of Tierra Del Fuego that included the Falkland Islands.
- 322: Days left to enter for the Lorenzo Natali Prize - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 16.06.2008
- The Lorenzo Natali Prize is organized by the European Commission. This prize rewards the journalists working on the topic of the human rights or democracy in the developing world. We remind you that for the first time this year, the Lorenzo Natali Prize also involves radio and television journalists.
- 323: Low Key Commemorations Mark 26th Liberation Anniversary in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2008
- Bright, sunny weather helped to mark the 26th anniversary.
- 324: Cllr Stevens' Falklands Speech at the UN C-24 Committee - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2008
- Councillor Richard Stevens puts his case for Falklands Self Determination to the C-24 Committee on Decolonisation at the United Nations.
- 325: Cllr Robertson's UN C-24 Speech - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.06.2008
- This is the first time Cllr Robertson has spoken at the UN.
- 326: Robyn Berntsen May Queen 2008 - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.05.2008
- Robyn Berntsen has been crowned May Queen 2008 at the May Ball.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN) - Dan Cofre, Prince Charming, Varity Livermore, May Princess, Robyn Berntsen, May Queen and David Phillips, Runner-up Prince Charming.
- 327: Falklands May Ball Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.05.2008
- A full selection of photos as well as commentary are available on:
- 328: Internet News Relevant to the Falklands (05/20/08) - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.05.2008
- A look at how others are reporting on the Falklands.
- 329: Royal Falkland Islands Police to Investigate Retention of Partial Remains - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.05.2008
- Government House has announced today that the Minister for the Overseas Territories in the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Meg Munn MP, has drawn to the Argentine Government's attention the fact that a bone, which we believe may belong to an Argentine airman killed in 1982, was discovered in 1986 and subsequently retained by the police here without the Argentine authorities being informed.
- 330: Internet News Relevant to the Falklands (05/05/08) - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.05.2008
- A weekly look at how others see us and what has been written about the Falklands.
- 331: Photos Sought for RMS St Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 24.04.2008
- St Helena Line is planning to change some of the pictures in the alleyways on the RMS St Helena.
- 332: Falklands Celebrate Queen’s Birthday with a Parade - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.04.2008
- A parade to celebrate the birthday of H. M. the Queen has been held at Victory Green today, 21st April 2008.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 333: Governor Gurr makes Presentations on behalf of the Falkland Islands Government - St Helena (Heritage) - 17.04.2008
- On behalf of the Falkland Islands Government, Governor Gurr has presented Liberation Coins and Certificates to 10 St Helenians. The awardees were part of the team who travelled to the Falkland Islands with the old RMS ‘St Helena’ during the Falkland Island’s conflict.
- 334: Falklands Prepare for Queen’s Birthday Parade - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.04.2008
- The parade to celebrate the birthday of Her Majesty the Queen will be held at Victory Green on Monday 21st April 2008.
- 335: New St Helena Stamp Issue Commemorates the RAF at 90 - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.04.2008
- The St Helena Post Office has issued a new set of stamps to commemorate the 90th Anniversary of the Royal Air Force.
- 336: St Helena Post Office has released a new set of aerogramme designs - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.04.2008
- Postmistress Beverley Francis said that the Post Office was without aerogrammes for a while, since the last consignment took a while to become exhausted, so it was decided to take a short break.
- 337: Internet News Relevant to the Falklands (10/04/08) - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 10.04.2008
- For the past week relevant internet news was dominated by the remarkable physical challenge of Blind Dave Heeley and his sighted guide, Malcolm Carr.
- 338: Presentation of MBE to Miss Jenny Corker - St Helena (Heritage) - 08.04.2008
- On Wednesday evening, 2 April 2008, His Excellency the Governor hosted a dinner at Plantation House in honour of Miss Jenny Corker, MBE.
- 339: Blind Dave Has Five to Go - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.04.2008
- Despite a lengthy delay in Argentina, blind Dave Heeley and his guide runner Malcolm Carr completed the first leg of their bid to run seven marathons in seven days on seven continents. It took Blind Dave and his guide runner just under 4.5 hours to complete the run at Mount Pleasant.
- 340: Dave Heeley - Running Blind in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.03.2008
- Guide Dogs for the Blind, a charity, is set to benefit from Mr Heeley's marathon participation
Photo (c) 7mm.org.uk
- 341: Donations needed as Dave Heeley Refused Direct Flight from Argentina - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.03.2008
- One wonders why on one hand Argentina wants NOK to fly but refuses permission for the Guide Dogs charity.
- 342: Commonwealth Day Message from HM the Queen - All (Heritage) - 10.03.2008
- The environment played a central role in HM the Queen's Commonwealth Day Message.
- 343: South Georgia News and Events for February 2008 - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 08.03.2008
- The February edition of South Georgia News and Events is out and the article below is included in this very informative on line newsletter. Enjoy!
Graphic (c) Crown Copyright - Royal Navy - M/S Explorer on the bottom
- 344: Ploe to Pole Yacht Visits Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.02.2008
- the Aluminium Schooner, Blizzard, has visited Stanley.
- 345: Upland Goose Hotel to Close - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.01.2008
- A major hotel in centre Stanley is to be converted into residential units.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Upland Goose Hotel as it is today.
- 346: New Priest for St. Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 08.01.2008
- Monsignor Michael B McPartland has announced that a new Priest will come to St Helena.
- 347: Royal Marines Mark Falklands 175 by Unveilling Memorial - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.01.2008
- Royal Marines marked 175 years in the Falklands by unveilling a monument in honour of all who served.
- 348: One Man, Seven Continents, Seven Days - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.01.2008
- One man is attempting to run 7 marathons in one week.
- 349: St Helenians on New Years Honours List - St Helena (Heritage) - 04.01.2008
- H. E. the Governor Mr Andrew Gurr has announced two from St. Helena are on H.M. the Queen's New Years Honours List.
- 350: Prime Minister's New Year's Message to the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.01.2008
- The Prime Minister has set the record straight about sovereignty.
- 351: ROYAL MARINES MEMORIAL STONE BROUGHT TO STANLEY - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.12.2007
- Ross Road came to a stand-still while a British International helicopter delivered the stone to the Triangle.
- 352: Commemoration of the 93rd Anniversary of the Battle of the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.12.2007
- A day of commemoration was held in the Falkland Islands in memory of all who gave their lives on 08 December 1914.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr Alan Huckle lays a wreath at the 1914 Battle Monument.
- 353: HUMANE SOCIETY AWARDS FOR FALKLANDS THREE - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.11.2007
- Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Neil Watson (Left) Christopher Hawksworth (Centre and Pat Whitney (Right) after receiving certificates from the Humane Society commending them on rescuing ten tourists from an overturned Zodiac at Long Island on 10 February 2006.
- 354: Governor Gurr hosts reception at Plantation House In honour of the Visit of the RFA Gold Rover - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.11.2007
- On 19 November 2007 Governor Gurr invited the Captain of the RFA Gold Rover to the Governor’s Office at the Castle for morning coffee. Here, the Captain presented Governor Gurr with a book entitled “No Sea Too Rough”.
Photo (c) SHG - Governor Gurr and Gold Rover's Captain.
- 355: LEWIS CLIFTON’S FULL REMARKS AT THE MONDAY RECEPTION FOR THE VETERANS - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.11.2007
- We come together this evening for our final reception, as we begin to say farewell to Veterans, family members, and the Combat Stress team who have resided with us and shared many experiences with us during this past week.
- 356: St Helena Celebrates GIS Day - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.11.2007
- GIS Day is celebrated so that GIS users can have the opportunity to show people how the GIS technology works.
- 357: BIRTHDAY TWINS SOUGHT FOR DOCUMENTARY - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 22.11.2007
- Belgian television is making a filmed documentary and have started a worldwide search for individuals born on very specific dates.
Photo (c) Belgium TV - the production team
- 358: A Falklands Poem - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2007
- Gus Hales tells it like it is in a moving poem recited at the Cathedral in Stanley on Remembrance Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Sama'82 Standard
- 359: Falklands - Visiting Musicians Strike Up the Band - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.11.2007
- The Band of the Prince of Wales Division are very busy in the Falklands this week.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Strike up the Band!
- 360: Falklands Remember David Taylor CBE - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.11.2007
- The death of the Falklands first Chief Executive was announced in the Islands today
- 361: Falklands Pilgrims Arrive in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.11.2007
- Two hundred and fifty pilgrims have attived in the Falklands at the start of a week-long remembrance.
- 362: Falklands Pilgrims Arrive in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.11.2007
- Two hundred and fifty pilgrims have attived in the Falklands at the start of a week-long remembrance.
- 363: All Set for the SAMA'82 November Pilgrimage - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.11.2007
- The Falklands South Atlantic Medal Association Pilgrimage will take place between the 6th and 13th of November.
- 364: FIDF Receive Lapel Badges at Government House - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.11.2007
- Members of the FIDF who turned up in uniform and defended their country on 01 April 1992 have been presented UK Armed Services Veterans Lapel Badges at Government House.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) FIDF Members who received the lapel badges posed for a group photo outside Government House.
- 365: Governor Clancy Holds Open House - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.10.2007
- Governor Michael Clancy extends a very warm welcome to anyone who wishes to say goodbye to come to Plantation House this Saturday morning.
- 366: Property Advertised For Tourism Development - St Helena (Heritage) - 28.10.2007
- The St Helena Government has announced that the Wranghams property is now available for tourism related development. This is happening in accordance with the St Helena Tourism Policy and has been described as a great opportunity for a local investor.
- 367: SAMA'82 Hint About November Remembrance - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.10.2007
- A full programme will keep visiting veterans and their families busy during the pilgrimage.
- 368: Busy Weekend for the Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.10.2007
- Two major events took place at Christ church Cathedral over the weekend.
- 369: Falkland Islands Stamp News - A "Must Have" September Edition - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.10.2007
- The September edition does not disappoint!
- 370: SAMA’82 MAGAZINE AVAILABLE NOW - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.10.2007
- The Summer 2007 Edition of SAMA’82 Magazine is now available at the Post Office.
- 371: Stanley Racecourse Secured - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.09.2007
- The Falkland Islands Government (FIG) and the Falkland Islands Company Ltd (FIC) are pleased to announce that they have reached agreement on a land exchange which will result in the whole of the historic Stanley Racecourse site being in Government ownership.
- 372: Peat-Cutting Monday Craft Exhibition - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.09.2007
- The Old Globe Warehouse will be busy on Peat Cutting Monday.
- 373: Craft Specialist Visits the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.09.2007
- A Shackleton Scholar is visiting the Falklands to inspire people who enjoy handicrafts.
- 374: All Success at the Falkland Craft Fair - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.09.2007
- An excellent selection of art and craft were on display at the Community School on Saturday and Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 375: All Set for the Craft Fair - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2007
- The 2007 Craft Fair will be held in the FICS Street on 15 and 16 September 2007.
- 376: Falklands FIDF to Get Lapel Badges - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.08.2007
- Falkland Islands Defence Force Members who served in April 1982 will be getting lapel badges commemorating the event.
- 377: Falklands First Status Ceremony - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.08.2007
- Mrs Cheri Clifford has taken the oath.
Photo (c) Cherie Clifford Mrs. Clifford with H. E. the Governor Mr. Alan Huckle, her family and friends at the ceremony.
- 378: Movie Theme for FIODA Variety Show - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.07.2007
- This year's annual Farmers' Week Variety Show had a "Movie Theme."
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Inspector....Who?
- 379: Government House Welcomes Two New British Citizens - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.07.2007
- Two new British Citizens have been given their certificates at a ceremony at Government House on Monday evening.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Kerin and Kim stand with H. E. the Governor mr. Alan Huckle after receiving their certificates.
- 380: Birthday Reception for Mrs Merle Christie - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.07.2007
- A reception to honour Mrs. Merle Christie on her 85t birthday took place at Government House at 1800hrs on Tuesday, 26 June 2007.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Mrs Merle Christie reads her reply to Mike Summers' speech at her birthday Reception.
- 381: Falklands Jelly Tots Hold Fancy Dress Party - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.07.2007
- The Jelly Tots Club has held its annual mid winter fancy dress party.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Falklands '25 Cheer Leaders
- 382: UK CHAGOS SUPPORT ASSOCIATION. - Ascension (Heritage) - 28.06.2007
- May’s Update went out hard on the heels of the excellent court ruling: congratulations once again to Richard Gifford, Sir Sydney Kentridge and all the legal team. Olivier Bancoult returned to a hero’s welcome in Port Louis.
- 383: DIGNIFIED COMMEMORATIONS MARK FALKLANDS LIBERATION - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.06.2007
- A day of commemorations marking the 25th anniversary of the Falklands liberation from Argentine occupation took place on 14 June 2007.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Members of the Clergy prior to the service at the monument
- 384: Liberation Anniversary Message from H. M. the Queen - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2007
- On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of your liberation from Argentine occupation the Duke of Edinburgh joins me in sending greetings to you all.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) HRH the Earl of Wessex lays a wreath at the foot of the 1982 Liberation Monument
- 385: Baroness Thatcher's Message to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2007
- I feel privileged and very moved in making this broadcast. The Falkland Islanders are celebrating the anniversary of their liberation.
- 386: Falklands 25 Remarks by the Hon Mr. Lewis Clifton - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2007
- On behalf of the Legislative Council, we are very pleased to welcome you all here this evening. And, I pay special tribute to the Royal Air Force and the flight crew for getting you here this afternoon. We make no apology for the winter weather but, with luck, the threat of snow today may ease for things on Liberation Day.
- 387: Falklands 25 Welcoming Speech by the Rt. Hon Mr Adam Ingram MP - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2007
- My previous trips have been important but this one is particularly important, as we mark the 25th anniversary of the liberation of these Islands.
- 388: Falklands 25 Remarks By Dr. Liam Fox MP - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2007
- Can I begin by saying how personally thrilled and honoured I am to be invited to take part in your celebrations this week?
- 389: Earl of Wessex Arrives in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.06.2007
- The Earl of Wessex has arrived in Stanley at the start of a packed programme of visits and commemorations.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Earl of Wessex at the welcoming reception chatting with Cllrs Clausen, Left and robertson, right.
- 390: Solemn Memorial Service Held at Fitzroy - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.06.2007
- A dignified memorial service was held at Fitzroy at 1000hrs on Friday, 08 June 2007 to remember fifty men, including 32 Welsh Guardsmen, who lost their lives in RFAs Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram during the amphibious move of 5 Brigade in 1982.
- 391: 82 RMS Crew Members off to the Falklands - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.05.2007
- Mr Patrick Williams, accompanied by his wife Pat, and Mr William George left on the RMS St Helena on Sunday 27th May to travel to the Falkland Islands to attend the events commemorating the 25th Anniversary of Liberation from Argentine occupation in 1982.
- 392: New Rector for Christ Church Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.05.2007
- A new Rector for Christ Church Cathedral has been appointed in the UK
- 393: MIKAELA FORD MAY QUEEN 2007 - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.05.2007
- Miss Mikaela Ford, daughter of Mr and Mrs Colin (Tooty) Ford of 15 Kent Road has been crowned May Queen 2007 by H. E. the Governor Mr. Alan Huckle at the May Ball held on Friday, 25 May.
- 394: Falklands Public Meeting Report (23/05/07) - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2007
- A public meeting was held at 1700hrs on Tuesday, 22 May 2007.
- 395: Falklands Philatelic Bureau Launches 25th Anniversary Series - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2007
- The 25th anniversary of the conflict with Argentina has been commemorated with a special stamp issue.
- 396: Humane Society Medal for Aldo Alderson - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.05.2007
- Former Falklands resident David "Aldo" Alderson has been presented with a medal by H.R. H Princess Alexandra.
Photos: Please credit The Saltburn Gazette
- 397: Taste of the Falklands Launched in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.05.2007
- An excellent recipe book has been compiled by Julie Bellhouse and Alex Olmedo.
- 398: Forgotten Voices of the Falkland Islands (A Book Review) - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2007
- Hugh McManners has written a bench-mark book about the 1982 conflict with Argentina.
Photo and book published by Ebury Press.
- 399: RMS St. Helena Presentation at Garden Party - St Helena (Heritage) - 24.04.2007
- RMS St. Helena's participation in the 1982 conflict with Argentina has been noted.
- 400: BRIGHT START FOR QUEEN’S BIRTHDAY PARADE - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.04.2007
- A parade to mark the 81st birthday of Her Majesty the Queen was held at Victory Green on Saturday, 21 April 2007.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor inspects PTE Zoran Zuvic of the Falkland Islands Defence Force during the Queen's birthday parade.
- 401: WEST TO EAST WALK RAISES £2,392.97 FOR THREE FALKLANDS CHARITIES - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.02.2007
- LPC Guido Webb of the Royal Falkland Islands Police as well as Reserve Constable Steve Dent, Mr Steve Burston, and Mr. Jared Jaffray took part in an amazing West to East walk that raised an amazing £2,392.97 for SAMA’82, the Stephen Jaffray Memorial Fund and the Shack. Each charity receives ££797.65.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) LPC Guido Webb, Mr. Steve Burston, Mr. Gerard Jaffray, Mr. Len McGill, Mr. Gary Clement and Reserve Constable Steve Dent present the cheque to the charities.
- 402: Falklands Rubbish Invasion Hype - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.02.2007
- Falkland Islanders don't eat everything that is placed in front of them.
- 403: MOD Slams Observer Allegations about Falklands Commemorations - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.01.2007
- The MOD have rebutted an article written in the Observer as misleading.
- 404: New Anglican Bishop for the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.01.2007
- It's all change for us at the Cathedral! The Council and congregation announce the appointment of a new Commissary.
Photo (c) Christ Church Cathedral, Stanley, Falkland Islands. Photographer - Keith Biles
- 405: GOVERNOR CLANCY’S SPEECH FOR GOVERNOR’S CUP YACHT RACE 2006 - St Helena (Heritage) - 18.01.2007
- Everyone involved can be very pleased with the outcome of the 2006 Governor’s Cup as a race, as an event, and as a marketing platform for the Island of St Helena.
- 406: Raxa - Thankyou - Ascension (Heritage) - 18.01.2007
- Thankyou for all your time and dedication given to working at the “Islander” over the many years,
- 407: HRH the Princess Royal Places Wreath at 1982 Memorial - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.01.2007
- HRH the Princess Royal has placed a wreath at the 1982 Memorial in Stanley on Sunday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Princess Anne at the Memorial
- 408: Royal Visitors to the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.01.2007
- Princess Anne and her husband Rear Admiral Timothy Laurence will visit the Falklands on their ways to Antarctica.
- 409: Passing of Geoffrey Guy C.M.G., C.V.O., O.B.E. - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.01.2007
- The Office of the Chief Secretary has received news of the passing of Mr Geoffrey Guy C.M.G., C.V.O., O.B.E, former Governor of St Helena and its Dependencies who passed away on 1st December 2006.
- 410: Low Key Adieu for Terry Peck - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.01.2007
- The Falklands said good-bye to one of its own today.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) PTE Craig Paice and PTE Zoran Zuvic of the Falkland Islands Defence Force salute Terry Peck's coffin.
- 411: Cancer Takes Falklands Hero - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 30.12.2006
- The dreaded "C" has taken one of the Falklands heros of the 1982 conflict with Argentina.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Terry receiving a cheque in aid of SAMA'82.
- 412: Prime Minister's Seasonal Message to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.12.2006
- Unlike in previous years the Prime Minister's seasonal message was not broadcast in the Falklands.
- 413: Annual Engine Pull Raises Money for Memorial Fund - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.12.2006
- The Stephen Jaffray Memorial Fund will benefit from the Fire and Rescue Service's annual Fire Engine Pull.
- 414: Ascension Island is talk of the week at German Star Rider’s yard in Bavaria - Ascension (Heritage) - 10.12.2006
- This week, at the yard of German star rider Uwe Schwanz in Holzkirchen in the heart of Bavaria, Ascension Island was the main topic of conversation at the coffee table?
- 415: HRH the Princess Royal to Visit the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.11.2006
- Buckingham Palace announced on Wednesday that HRH the Princess Royal will visit the Falklands from 12 to 15 January 2007.
- 416: Falkland Islands: Definitive New Value and Reprints - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.11.2006
- The Falkland Islands Post Office will be introducing a Christmas card rate of 20p for internal delivery and therefore require a new value within the Definitive series.
Graphics (c) FI Philatelic Bureau
- 417: Weekend of Activities Culminates in Act of Remembrance - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2006
- The Falklands Branch of the Royal British Legion held an excellent dinner-dance on Friday evening at the town Hall to mark a solemn weekend of remembering those who have fallen so we can live the life of our choice. The packed house enjoyed an outstanding meal catered by the Malvina House Hotel and a raffle and music by Norman Clark and the Goss Girls.
- 418: Falklands Commemorations Announced - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.11.2006
- Mr. Derek Twigg, Veterans Minister, has announced a programme of events to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Falklands conflict.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley.
- 419: Dampier’s Drip Restoration - Ascension (Heritage) - 02.11.2006
- Anyone visiting Dampier’s Drip recently will have noticed the changes that are taking place.
- 420: Air Movements Flight Heritage Project - Ascension (Heritage) - 02.11.2006
- On 25 Oct 06, 5 members of the Air Movements Det, ably assisted by Cpl Jenny “Green Fingers” Rose from the Commcen attacked a heritage project on Ascension Island head on, under the guidance of Super Security Serco Steve Roulston (AKA Captain Cactus).
- 421: We Will Remember Them on 11 November - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.10.2006
- Poppy Day and Remembrance Sunday have special Meaning to people in the Falklands.
Painting (c) J. Brock (FINN) - The Poppy
- 422: Poppy Day in St. Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.10.2006
- With Remembrance Day approaching, the Office of the Chief Secretary has distributed poppies to a number of shops and organisations around the Island in hope that more money can be raised for the Royal British Legion.
- 423: Parachute Regiment Honours Terry Peck - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.10.2006
- Terry Peck, who fought alongside the Parachute Regiment in the 1982 Conflict with Argentina, has been honoured at Government House.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Brigadier Nick Davies, CBSAI Designate, presents Terry Peck with a painting from the Parachute Regiment.
- 424: Sunset Ceremony Marks Farewell for the Resident Rapier Squadron - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.09.2006
- The Falklands are to soon bid farewell to the Resident Rapier Squadron.
- 425: Falklands Warn Scots Newspaper to Stop Stirring the Pot - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.09.2006
- The Scotsman's Article can be classed as a "pot boiler" and all that has happened is that someone has come along and stirred the pot.
- 426: 21st Annual Craft Fair Successful and Fun - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.09.2006
- Some of the best entries were submitted by Falklands children.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) at the spinning wheel
- 427: Falklands Flags at Half-mast For King of Tonga - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2006
- The King of Tonga is remembered in the Falkland Islands.
- 428: Falklands All Set For the 2006 Craft Fair - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.09.2006
- It's time to finish off those craft projects you have been working on all winter.
- 429: Post Office Makes History for St Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 06.09.2006
- The Post Office will make history on 31 August 2006 with the release of St Helena’s first circular stamps.
- 430: Falklands New Stamp Issue Wows Us With Birds - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.08.2006
- On Wednesday the latest Issue of Stamps will be available from the Philatelic Bureau.
Photos (c) Philatelic Bureau
- 431: Falklands Governor Takes Up the Sword - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.08.2006
- H. E. the Governor Mr. Alan Huckle has taken the oath of office and made his first speech to the nation.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Mr. Lewis Clifton OBE, the Speaker of the House, hands over the sword of office to H. E. the Governor Mr. Alan Huckle.
- 432: Merlene Benjamin Receives Long Service Award - St Helena (Heritage) - 24.08.2006
- St. Helena's Acting Governor, Ethel Yon has presented the award to Merlene Benjamin for long service.
Photo (c) St. Helena Media
- 433: Falklands Fans Ask, "Where's Larry King?" - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.08.2006
- A popular CNN programme is aired at 0500 LMT and Falklands fans, who are used to watching Mr. King in the evening are severely disappointed.
- 434: Falklands Threatened with the Torah - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.08.2006
- I'm positive that the first five books of the Word of God were originally written for the Hebrew Nation - Israel - so why does Deuteronomy 28: 52 apply to the Falklands?
- 435: Governor Bows Out of the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.08.2006
- H. E. the Governor, Mrs. Pearce and Suzanna Pearce Have Left the Falkland Islands.
- 436: Falklands Students Dare a NO to Drugs, Drink and Tobacco - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.08.2006
- Year 6 Students in the Falklands have received their DARE Certificates.
- 437: FINN's Final Interview with H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.07.2006
- H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce has granted a final interview with FINN.
- 438: UK Chagos Support Association Update for July - Ascension (Heritage) - 24.07.2006
- Ascension Islanders do not want to clear the Island like those from the Chagos Islands did.
- 439: FIODA Presents Farmers' Week Variety Show - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.07.2006
- One of the year's best entertainment events takes place each year during Farmers' Week.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - the Adult Hand Chime Group
- 440: Death Notice: David Nicholls - All (Heritage) - 07.07.2006
- One of the South Atlantic's best known and energetic supporters has died in Scotland.
- 441: Sea and Marine Cadets Benefit from Argos Trust - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.07.2006
- The Argos Trust has given the Stanley Sea and Marine Cadets a projector.
- 442: Jelly Tots Mid Winter Fancy Dress Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.06.2006
- Children from 0 to 10 took part in this annual event at the Town Hall.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Governors are getting younger these days.
- 443: Sunny Mid Winter Swim Well Attended - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.06.2006
- June might not be the warmest Falklands month but 133 people took advantage of this for charity.
- 444: Death Notice: Gen Williams - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.06.2006
- Government House's best known gardener has passed on.
- 445: The Chagos islanders: Britain’s historic injustice - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 21.06.2006
- Britain's treatment of the inhabitants of a small island territory in the Indian Ocean is a political, legal and national disgrace that must be redressed, says former diplomat Iain Orr.
- 446: Norma Edwards OBE - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.06.2006
- A former Falklands Councillor has received an OBE from HM the Queen.
- 447: Mid Winter Fayre - Thank You Very Much! - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.06.2006
- Christ Church Cathedral have had a successful Mid Winter Celebration of Light.
- 448: Birthday Honours for Benjamin and Sukatankar - St Helena (Heritage) - 20.06.2006
- Two people well known to SARTMA have been awarded OBEs
- 449: Cosford Band Strikes up in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.06.2006
- Liberation Day was much better for the music.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The band plays "Song of the Falklands" by Rock Berntsen
- 450: Jim Philippson Killed in Afghanistan - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 14.06.2006
- A tribute to the former Media Ops Officer
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - Captain Phillipson
- 451: St. Helenians Receive OBE and MBE Awards - St Helena (Heritage) - 14.06.2006
- St. Helenians have been mentioned in New Years and in Birthday Honours.
Photo (c) St. Helena Media - Recipients of Honours and their families and friends in London.
- 452: Falklands: Liberation 24 Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2006
- The 24th anniversary of the Falklands liberation from Argentina has been commemorated in Stanley.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Commodore Moncrieff, Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands, lays a wreath at the Liberation Monument.
- 453: All Set for the Mid Winter Swim - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.06.2006
- The shortest day and the coldest swim are about to take place in the Falklands.
- 454: MISS ASCENSION 2006 - Ascension (Heritage) - 01.06.2006
- Miss Ascension 2006 was held at the Saints Club on Saturday 20th May. Fourteen contestants paraded the catwalk to a seated audience of 350 with many standing outside.
- 455: Falklands and the Sea: An Outstanding Exhibition - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.05.2006
- An exhibition called the Falklands and the Sea has been put on by the Stanley Museum in the Parish Hall from Thursday to Sunday this week.
- 456: South Atlantic 25 the Subject of May Public Meeting - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.05.2006
- Commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Falklands Liberation was the subject of Tuesday's Pyblic Meeting.
- 457: Miss Layla Crowie is May Queen 2006 - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.05.2006
- This year The May Queen and Princess have a St. Helena connection. Layla Crowie's dad and Jane Goss's Mom are from St. Helena.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Stefen Clarke, Prince Charming and Layla Crowie, May Queen 2006.
- 458: Planet Earth Focuses on Ascension - Ascension (Heritage) - 18.05.2006
- For the past few weeks a BBC film crew has been on Ascension, filming for the prestige wildlife documentary series Planet Earth.
- 459: Falklands Forces Have A Vital Role To Play - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 04.05.2006
- A brief run-down of Adam Ingram's visit to the Falklands.
- 460: Falkland Islands - Brunel's SS Great Britain - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.04.2006
- A new issue of stamps will be at the philatelic counter soon.
- 461: South Georgia Visitor's Guide Launched in Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.04.2006
- Sally Poncet and Kim Crosbie have authored the first ever guide for visitors to South Georgia.
- 462: Veterans Minister Announces South Atlantic 25 - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.04.2006
- Mr. Don Touhig, Minister of State for Veterans Affairs, has announced the 25th anniversary commemorations for the 1982 Conflict.
- 463: Falklands Give a Parade for H. M. the Queen's 80th - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.04.2006
- People in the Falkland Islands have wished H. M. the Queen a happy birthday.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor greets Cub Scouts during the Queen's Parade.
- 464: Falklands wish H. M. the Queen a Happy 80th - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.04.2006
- Sukey Cameron has written H. M. the Queen's private secretary.
- 465: Falklands Help H. M. the Queen Celebrate Her 80th - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.04.2006
- A traditional parade will be the focus point of this occasion.
- 466: All Set for ANZAC Day - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.04.2006
- The commemorations include a family evening at Hillside Mess.
- 467: BBC/MoD Team in Falklands to Help Plan 25th Anniversary of Conflict - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.04.2006
- A BBC/MoD team has left the Falklands after seeing first hand the battle sites and memorials of the 1982 Conflict with Argentina.
- 468: Casper Weinberger: Falklands Friend Dies at 88 - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.03.2006
- A friend of the Falklands has died in the US.
- 469: Falklands Army Raid on Godfrey's Cottage a Real Hoot - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.03.2006
- Live firing and a precision raid made Stanley Audiences howl with laughter.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) A demonstration of the latest Military secret - rubber armour.
- 470: Hugh Marsden Wins Stanley Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.03.2006
- For the second year, Mr. Hugh Marsden has won the Stanley Marathon
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) Hugh Marsden receives a cheque from H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce.
- 471: H. M. the Queen's Commonwealth Day Message - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.03.2006
- H. M. the Queen's message was delivered on the Falklands by H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce and on St. Helena by H. E. the Governor Mr. Clancy.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr. Howard Pearce and Acting Community School Head Mrs Catherine Nelson shortly after the delivery of the Queen's Commonwealth Day message in the Falklands.
- 472: Falkland Islands Detest War Made by Media - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.03.2006
- The UK Media are warned: If you start a war in the Falklands then you are responsible for the lives on both sides that have been lost as well as injury and PTSD in the survivors.
- 473: Historic Buildings Committee Report (14/02/06) - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.02.2006
- Find out about what's going to happen near the dockyard.
- 474: Falklands: Tattered Trump Card Causes No Surprises - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.02.2006
- So, what else is New?
- 475: Scottish Parliament Commemorates Tristan's 500th - Tristan (Heritage) - 10.02.2006
- Following is a message from the Scottish Parliament about Tristan's 500th anniversary.
- 476: Gov. Clancy Sails on the Kelso - Tristan (Heritage) - 10.02.2006
- Apparently Inaccessible Island lived up to its name this time.
- 477: Governor Clancy's Busy Tristan Visit - Tristan (Heritage) - 09.02.2006
- H. E. the Governor Mr. Clancy has been very busy since he came to Tristan on the 500th anniversary of the Island's discovery.
- 478: Falklands Biography Project Sparks Local and International Interest. - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.02.2006
- Former Governor David Tatham has returned to the Falklands to research his Falklands Biography Dictionary.
- 479: Tristan Continues its 500th Celebrations - Tristan (Heritage) - 07.02.2006
- Governor Clancy has received a tour of the Island and went to a birthday party.
- 480: Press Freedom Issues in the South Atlantic - Tristan (Heritage) - 06.02.2006
- It is unfortunate that Governments in the region are trying to stifle the media.
- 481: RMS St. Helena Arrives in Tristan - Tristan (Heritage) - 06.02.2006
- Arriving on Schedule, the RMS St. Helena had 114 passengers who will enjoy the 500th anniversary celebrations.
- 482: Philatelic News: Birds Issue XIII - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.02.2006
- Find out what's new at the Philatelic Bureau in Stanley.
- 483: Kathy says Thank-you - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.01.2006
- Rev. Kathy Biles wants to thank everyone who made last Sunday so special for her.
- 484: Rev Kathy Biles - Falklands' First and Finest - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.01.2006
- Rev. Kathy Biles made Falklands' history when she was ordained on Sunday.
- 485: First Sea Lord to Inspect Stanley Sea Cadet Unit - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.01.2006
- Admiral Sir Alan West will Inspect the Unit on Friday afternoon.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - Admiral Sir Alan West
- 486: Bishop of Dover to Ordain Falklands Priest - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.01.2006
- It's another Falklands first with Kathy Biles being the first priest - and a woman to boot - being ordained in Christ Church Cathedral. Graham Bound tells us more.
- 487: Falklands First: Kathy Biles to Be Ordained - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.01.2006
- Kathy Biles, who has been studying for the Anglican Priesthood, has graduated with flying colours and will be ordained on 22 January.
- 488: Letter to the Online Readers - Tristan (Heritage) - 15.01.2006
- The following was received by Tristan Times for publication in these pages as well as SARTMA. Please either e-mail Mr. Millington direct or contact him through this website.
- 489: Yeates to Set Off Despite Seasonal Dangers - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.01.2006
- Colin Yates is determined to set off for his Antarctic circumnavigation in about two weeks.
- 490: Yeates Will Try Again - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.01.2006
- Colin Yeates, who slammed ashore near Volunteer Point last week in a failed attempt to circumnavigate Antarctica in a rowboat will try again.
- 491: Mozambican Artists Exhibits Paintings and Photography in Cornwall - Ascension (Heritage) - 04.01.2006
- Tara Pelembe, the Ascension Island Conservation Officer, is in England studying for her Masters Degree on an OTEP Scholarship. Her husband is exhibiting the photos and paintings.
- 492: Ruler of Dubai Dies in Australia - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.01.2006
- Sheikh Maktoum Rashid bin al-Maktoum, the generous man who gave the stallion, Thyer, to the Falklands, has died in Australia.
- 493: Colin Yeates Rescued in Circum-Antarctica Attempt - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.01.2006
- The notorious Falkland Current has thrown Colin Yeates ashore at Volunteer Poing on Wednesday nignt. He is safe and well.
- 494: Safe Landing for Antarctic Rower - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.01.2006
- Colin Yates was the subject of a search and rescue operation last night.
- 495: South Georgia: A busy Place for Weddings - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 04.01.2006
- Registrar, Pauline Car, is getting an increasing number of requests for weddings on the remote South Atlantic Island of South Georgia.
- 496: Ascension Island: Lack of Transperancy and Self Determination - Ascension (Heritage) - 29.12.2005
- Ascension't lack of Self Determination will make it more difficult for the Falklands to argue for it during the C-24 Meetings at the UN.
- 497: Historic Buildings Committee Report (12/21/05) - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.12.2005
- Find out what happened during this interesting committee meeting.
- 498: Stanley Sports Association 93rd Race Meeting Day 2, Morning Session - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.12.2005
- Find out what took place this morning.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Arthur Turner on Dashing Dancer overtakes Timmy Bonner on Florida during the Standard Chartered Trophy race this morning.
- 499: Stanley Sports Association 93rd Annual Race Meeting, 2nd Day Afternoon Session - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.12.2005
- Find out what happened during the final racing session.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Maurice Davis securing the lead in the Association Race.
- 500: Stanley Sports Association 93rd Annual Race Meeting - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.12.2005
- This report covers the Monday Morning events.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Timmy Bonner on Zaphonic overtakes Lisa Johnson on Clanny's Cruiser during the Governor's Cup Race this morning.
- 501: SSA 93rd Annual Race Meeting Monday Afternoon Session - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.12.2005
- Thus Far Timmy Bonner has 17 Points, Michele Evans has 15 Points and Arthur Turner has 9 Points.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Hermina Graham on Miami Dude bolts ahead of Dark Eyed lady ridden by Donna Murray.
- 502: Prime Minister Upholds Falklands Self Determination - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.12.2005
- In his Christmas message to the Falklands the Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. Mr. Tony Blair MP has said he will uphold Falklands Security and self determination.
- 503: Falklands Biographies: Authors Still Needed - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.12.2005
- The BBC's Ben Koen asks former Governor David Tatham about his work on Falklands Biography.
- 504: Richard Cockwell's Paintings - Falklands (Heritage) - 20.12.2005
- The BBC's Dee Palmer chats with Richard Cockwell about his exhibition in London.
- 505: “DITCH THE OLD DONKEY WE USE THE QUADS FOR BETHLEHEM” - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.12.2005
- A unique nativity play was staged during the Infant/Junior School Concert.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Customs-authorised gift of the Maji
- 506: Zoran Zuvic Wins the Bill Hunter-Christie Award - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.12.2005
- A student at Peter Symonds College has won the Bill Hunter-Christie Award.
Photo (c) Zoran Zuvic - Falklands Students from the Falklands prior to the Falkland Islands Association AGM on Saturday.
- 507: Painting EX Shows Cllr. Cockwell's Hidden Gifts - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.12.2005
- Cllr. Cockwell has exhibited 15 of his paintings in London.
Photo(c) Falkland Islands Government Office - Cllr. Cockwell and Sukey Cameron
- 508: Girl Guides Bring the Sound of Christmas to Stanley - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.12.2005
- A train of Girl Guides and leaders helped to collect money for the Girl Guides Association on Saturday afternoon.
Photo (c) J. Nrock (FINN) Money please!
- 509: Excellent Sailing Weather for Resumed Regatta - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.12.2005
- The wind and sea conditions made this a fun day out.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The action prior to the Dinghy Race.
- 510: Falklands say Get Well Soon to Baroness Thatcher - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.12.2005
- Islanders were concerned on Wednesday when they heard of Baroness Thatcher's hospitalisation.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Baroness Thatcher and Sir Dennis posed for this photo with the former Goose Green Captives in 1992.
- 511: Battle Day Commemoration in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.12.2005
- The weather was cold and wet but it didn't stop the commemorations.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Clergy kept things going.
- 512: An Appeal for the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.12.2005
- If you damaged it 23 years ago, why not shell out some dosh to help restore the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse?
- 513: Cape Pembroke Lighthouse Tour - Falklands (Heritage) - 05.12.2005
- Luis Bahamonde has taken a photographic tour of the Cape Pembroke lighthouse.
Photos (c) Luis Bahamonde - A room with a view.
- 514: All Set For The New Year's Raft Race - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.12.2005
- Each Year, New Year's Day brings a lot of food and fun with a raft race and BBQ.
- 515: Welcome New British Citizens - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.12.2005
- A reception was held for Luis Bahamonde Salazar at Government House on Tuesday night.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) All present at the ceremony posed for this photo.
- 516: South Georgia Heritage Trust To Raise Funds for Restoration - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 02.12.2005
- The South Georgia Heritage Trust will be restoring the exterior of the Manager's Villa at Stormness, where Shackleton sought help after his epic journey.
- 517: BSES Volunteers off to South Georgia - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 02.12.2005
- David Nicholls is scouting out possible areas to climb in South Georgia and he is bringing some volunteers with him.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The South Georgia Team
- 518: Cape Pembroke Lighthouse Celebrates 150 Years - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.12.2005
- On December 1st 1855 the Cape Pembroke Lighthouse first lit up.
- 519: Cathedral to Lose Vicar - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.11.2005
- Christ Church Cathedral will be minus its Vicar in Early July.
- 520: Sale Raises £500.00 for Cathedral Funds - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.11.2005
- Photo (c) Jimmy Rogers - A bit of Scotland on Tristan da Cunha
- 521: North Arm Museum Attracts Visitors - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.11.2005
- Photos (c) Leona Roberts The Museum at North Arm
- 522: Museum Opens at North Arm - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.11.2005
- Thanks to Eileen Jaffray, Leona and Dave Roberts and other residents of North Arm, there's a museum in the old store.
- 523: Solemn Service for 11/11 - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.11.2005
- Members of Sama'82 placed wreaths of poppys at the foot of the Memorial.
Photo(c) J. Brock (FINN) - a moment to remember.
- 524: Remembrance Sunday Observed in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.11.2005
- On Remembrance Sunday, those who gave their lives for our freedom are remembered.
- 525: New Zealand's Kayak Team in South Georgia First - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 04.11.2005
- A Kayak Team from New Zealand has successfully circumnavigated South Georgia - a historical first!
- 526: ASCENSION ISLAND STAGING POST FOR FALKLANDS LIBERATION - Ascension (Heritage) - 03.11.2005
- On about 2nd April I was asked if I would like to stop briefly at either St Helena or Ascension Island.
- 527: Remembrance Ceremonies Announced - Falklands (Heritage) - 01.11.2005
- This is an amended press release.
- 528: Send Christmas Packages Now for Tristan - Tristan (Heritage) - 31.10.2005
- The last vessel to depart Capetown is on 24 November, so airmail your packages now.
Photo (c) Jimmy Rogers - A scene from the patches
- 529: Monsignor McPartland Returns from Tristan da Cunha - Tristan (Heritage) - 27.10.2005
- With this visit completer, Monsignor McPartland is making plans for next year's pastoral call.
- 530: Lt. Richard Nunn Remembered - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.10.2005
- A cairn surrounded by a stained wooden fence marks a special place near Goose Green.
Photo Provided by Rev. Fr. Peter Norris - The Cairn and some of the people who went to the dedication.
- 531: Guy Fawkes 400 Celebrations in the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.10.2005
- (Guido) Fawkes died 400 years ago after trying to blow up Parliament.
- 532: Youth Organisations Keep Busy over Trafalgar 200 - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.10.2005
- Youth Organisations in the Falklands have been busy over the Trafalgar Day weekend.
- 533: Trafalgar 200 Service Held at Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.10.2005
- The 200th Anniversary of Trafalgar has been commemorated in the Falklands
Photos (c) Crown Copyright - Aboard HMS Portland
- 534: The Hon. Alexandra Shackleton Visits Punta Arenas - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.10.2005
- Luis Bahamonde Salazar reports about what Alexandra Shackleton is doing in Punta Arenas.
Photo (c) Alfie - The Hon. Alexandra Shackleton
- 535: Trafalgar Day Ringing for South Atlantic Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.10.2005
- Tim and Pauline Carr rang the two bells located at the Whalers' Church at Grytviken in South Georgia.
Photos (c) J. Brock (Sartma) - a view of the Whalers' Church during restoration
- 536: Tristan Stamps Celebrate Trafalgar 200 - Tristan (Heritage) - 20.10.2005
- If you are a keen stamp collector, or you know one, have a look at this!
(c) Tristan's Philatelic Bureau
- 537: Jonathan and the Queen's Baton - St Helena (Heritage) - 18.10.2005
- Contrary to recent reports, Jonathan's a real poser.
(C) CPQ Magazine - Jonathan and the Queen's Baton
- 538: Sama'82 Needs You - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.10.2005
- Veterans of the 82 Conflict are able to lay ghosts to bed when they come back and see the progress that they made possible.
- 539: Falklands Wish Baroness Thatcher a Happy 80th - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.10.2005
- Islanders remember Baroness Thatcher's two visits to the Falklands and will not forget her inspired leadership that won the 1982 Conflict with Argentina.
- 540: Saving Our Heritage in Antarctica - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 12.10.2005
- The BBC World Service interviewed the Hon. Alexandra Shackleton about the restorative effort.
- 541: BBC World - Seeing is Believing - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.10.2005
- Standard Chartered Bank in Stanley are sponsoring the world-wide charity called "Seeing is Believing."
- 542: Yes, Virginia, There Really is a Treasure Island - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 27.09.2005
- One of the largest treasures ever looted from South America has been found on Juan Fernandez Island.
- 543: Falkland Islands EX 2005 Begins Today - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.09.2005
- The Late Brian Paul would really like what Anabelle Spencer has done with the Ex.
- 544: Tristan Celebrates Jimmy Rogers' Paintings - Tristan (Heritage) - 21.09.2005
- Jimmy Rogers paints in watercolour and oil as well ad drawing in pencil. See now an exhibition of his work.
All artwork in this story is (c) Jimmy Rogers - This painting shows a typical settlement scene.
- 545: Falklands Say Happy Birthday to Chile - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.09.2005
- The Growing Chilean community in the Falklands are celebrating their Independence Day
- 546: Falklands War Reaches Argentine Cinemas - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.09.2005
- A Report for BBC World Service "Calling the Falklands" by Alex Kirby (09/12/05)
- 547: Tristan to Receive a Very Special Visitor - Tristan (Heritage) - 11.09.2005
- Monsignor Michael McPartland is, as this is being written, on his way to Tristan da Cunha aboard the SA Agulhas. As the Roman Catholic Prefect Apostolic for the South Atlantic Islands from Antarctica to Ascension, Monsignor McPartland has responsibility for all Roman Catholic congregations in the 10Million square mile parish.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - TdC) Monsignor McPartland
- 548: 20th Annual Craft Fair a Huge Success - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.09.2005
- An enjoyable few hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoons was the culmination of months of hard and living work.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Barbara Curtiss demonstrates her craft to two young weavers
- 549: £135 Million for Former Guard Ships - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 09.09.2005
- News on the MoD website confirms that three 23 type frigates, HMS Marlborough, HMS Norfolk and HMS Grafton have been sold to the Chilean Navy.
- 550: Royal Falkland Islands Police to Auction Unique Licence Plate - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.09.2005
- Licence plates in the Falklands have skipped a letter in the alphabet.
- 551: Glasswell Paintings Exhibited in Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.09.2005
- Money from Ms. Glasswell's paintings was in aid of Falklands Conservation and the South Georgia Heritage Trust.
- 552: Watch Out Canada, Here Comes the Queen's Baton - Falklands (Heritage) - 03.09.2005
- The Queen's Baton has made its way around West and East Falkland by plane, helicopter, quad bike, horse, Land Rover and even the HMS Dumbarton Castle.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor, the Queen's Baton and the participants on Government House lawn.
- 553: Chilean General Did Everything to Help the British Win in 1982 - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.09.2005
- Chile's National Channel had an interview with Fernando Matthei that shocked a lot of people.
- 554: Queen's Baton Arrives in Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.08.2005
- The Queen’s Baton has arrived in the Falklands after a flight on the Air-bridge from the UK via Ascension Island.
- 555: Falklands Veterans' Association Receive Freedom of Gosport - Falklands (Heritage) - 29.08.2005
- The BBC's Judy Frankel reports on this moving ceremony in "Calling the Falklands." a BBC World Service programme.
- 556: Commonwealth Games Baton Arrives on 31 August - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.08.2005
- Six and a half months from the time the Baton arrives in the Falklands, it will be the centrepiece of ceremonies in Melbourne, Australia at the opening of the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
Photo (c) City of Melbourne - Cathy Freeman with Karak, the Comminwealth Games Mascot.
- 557: Falklands Pay Tribute to Robin Cook - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.08.2005
- Falklanders reacted with alarm when they heard the news that Former Secretary of State, Robin Cook had collapsed in Scotland and with shock when they found out that he died on Saturday. Perhaps those from the Falklands who knew him best were Councillors.
- 558: Falklands Flags at Half-Mast for King Fahd - Falklands (Heritage) - 02.08.2005
- Flags in the Falkland Islands are being flown at half mast as a mark of respect for the late King Fahd of Saudi Arabia. Crown Prince Abdullah, King Fahad’s successor, announced the death on Sunday.
- 559: BROWNIE CEREMONY - Ascension (Heritage) - 28.07.2005
- Last Wednesday evening was a special night for the 1st Ascension Brownie Guide Pack.
- 560: US BASE COMMANDERS IN FALKLANDS VISIT BEFORE CHANGE OF COMMAND - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 13.07.2005
- A change of command ceremony took place at the US Base on Ascension Island on Tuesday, 12 July 2005 when Lt. Col Kevin Barker handed over his command as Detachment 2 45th Operational Group Commander to Major Eric Jackson.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) Major Jackson and Lt. Col Barker say thank-you to Commodore Ian Moncrieff for the outstanding trip to the Falklands.
- 561: South Atlantic Islands Express Sadness, Shock and Dismay at London Terror Attack - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.07.2005
- No matter how you look at it, there is no true justification for taking innocent lives to promote a cause – no matter how ‘good?’
- 562: Falklands Remember 60th Anniversary of VE Day - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.07.2005
- A service to commemorate the 60th anniversary of VE Day has been held at Christ Church Cathedral in Stanley.
- 563: Falklands Respond to London Terror - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.07.2005
- Falkland Islanders awoke to the shocking news that terrorists had struck in London.
- 564: Mid Winter: Falklands Have a Weekend of Snow and Fun - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.06.2005
- Besides saying hello to Commodore Ian Moncrieff and Mrs. Marion Moncrieff, a weekend of activity took place on Saturday, 18 June and Sunday 19 June 2005.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) Face Painting at the Mid Winter "Fayre."
- 565: SERGEANT CLARENCE ROBERTS RECEIVES THE CLASP AWARD FOR COMPLETING 25 YEARS SERVICE - Ascension (Heritage) - 16.06.2005
- His Excellency the Governor has approved the Clasp award to Sergeant Clarence Roberts in recognition of having completed 25 years of qualifying Service.
- 566: Tesco Encourages Local Fun Run - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2005
- The race is on to find the first school children in the Falkland Islands to take part in the world’s biggest ever-junior running event.
- 567: Full Marks for Museum Year of the Sea Ex at the Parish Hall - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.06.2005
- Stanley Museum and National Trust hosted a very successful Year of the Sea Exhibition on Saturday and Sunday, June 4th and 5th 2005 at the Parish Hall.
Photos (C) J. Brock (FINN) Even Students Got into the act with meaningful artwork.
- 568: Frances Douse May Queen 2005 - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.05.2005
- Frances Douse, stunning in a floor length a-line wine coloured gown, was crowned May Queen 2005 by H.E. the Governor Mr. Howard Pearce at Midnight on 20 May.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) Marcus Porter, Frances Douse, Michael Brownlee and Ros Elsby
- 569: Mount Pleasant is 20 Today - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.05.2005
- On 12 May 1985, HRH Prince Andrew Officially Opened Mount Pleasant Airfield. It took only two years to build an operational airstrip - capable of taking the Space Shuttle.
Photo (c) Brian Harper - The first flight ever at MPA that took place on 05 May 1985.
- 570: A.D.F. Charity Fishing Competition. - Ascension (Heritage) - 12.05.2005
- On Sunday 8th of May, a Fishing competition was held in aid of St. Mary’s church and the Ascension Day Fair.
- 571: Drivers Needed for Stanley's Blue Bus - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.05.2005
- It was in the spring of 1990 that Mrs. Moira Buckland-James approached FINN with a news story that would be of interest.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 572: No Rain for Queen's Birthday Parade - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.04.2005
- A parade in honour of H. M. the Queen’s 79th birthday took place at Victory Green on the morning of Thursday, 21 April 2005 beginning at 1030.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor and CBFSAI inspect the Fidf Guard of Honour.
- 573: Tears Shed as South Atlantic Islands Learn of Pope's Death - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 03.04.2005
- Some Catholics were on their way to Saturday evening Mass when the Pope's death was announced.
Photo (c) St. Mary's Church The late Monsignor Spraggon visited the Pope in Rome shortly after he was enthroned.
- 574: Andi Says Good-Bye to the Falklands - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.03.2005
- At a special venue organised for the Trough, British Musician, Andi Neate has said good-bye to the Falklands.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Members and supporters of the Fighting Pig Band.
- 575: Falklands Runners Score Big in Stanley Marathon - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.03.2005
- The first annual Stanley Marathon has ended at 1600 on Sunday, 20 March 2005 with many of the winners having Falklands connections.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce Handing out the prizes to the Stanley Football Club.
- 576: Welcome SV Concordia - St Helena (Heritage) - 19.03.2005
- Paul George from St. Helena Herald writes about this classroom tall ship.
Photo (c) St. Helena Herald
- 577: Commonwealth Day Message - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.03.2005
- Of the nearly two-billion citizens of the Commonwealth, more than half are under the age of twenty-five. That provides our association with a strong foundation for the future. Of course, we all face significant challenges
- 578: Rockhopper Copper set to Hit Bookshelves - Tristan (Heritage) - 14.03.2005
- In 2006 it will be 500 years since the Portuguese explorer Tristao da Cunha discovered what is now the most remote inhabited island on Earth -- the mountainous volcano summit towering out of the South Atlantic, 1,500 miles from Cape Town, 1,300 miles from St Helena, home now to just 300 people:
Photo(c) Beau Rowlands - Conrad at a recent Tristan da Cunha Association meeting.
- 579: Presentations to the Library and Resource Centre - Ascension (Heritage) - 10.03.2005
- Two presentations were made to the Ascension Island Library and Resource Centre on Monday night.
- 580: Fr. Jack Horner is St. Helena's Newest Anglican Priest - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 06.02.2005
- On Sunday, 30th January 2005 at St Paul’s Cathedral, the Reverend Jack Horner was ordained as a Priest in the Church of God by the Lord Bishop of St Helena
Photo (c) St. Helena Herald - Fr. Jack With Bishop John after the ordination service.
- 581: Argentine NOK to Visit Graves in March - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.01.2005
- After a year’s wait, a twenty-four strong party representing Argentine next of kin will be visiting the Falklands to officially open the Argentine War Memorial at Darwin.
- 582: Ascension New Year Pierhead Jump - Ascension (Heritage) - 19.01.2005
- The Ascension New Year was once again inaugurated by a Pier Head Jump into the ocean. A tradition started by Priya and Anjali Sukhtankar in1998 to welcome the new year.
- 583: British Forces Greet Ellen MacArthur - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 17.01.2005
- As Ellen MacCarthur enters the 47th day (13 January 2005) of her single-handed circumnavigation of the globe, in her trimaran B&Q, she can take some comfort from the fact that she has safely sailed through one of the most dangerous maritime regions in the world, Cape Horn. Battling through 30+ knots of wind sustained and reaching up to 50 knots in squalls, she has begun her northerly passage through the South Atlantic to the West of the Falkland Islands. Ben Taylor of Media Ops at MPA tells us more.
- 584: Tristan da Cunha: Flags at Half-Mast for Tsunami Victims - Tristan (Heritage) - 05.01.2005
- Even Remote Tristan Has Been Touched by the Tsunami Disaster.
- 585: Flags at Half-Mast for Tsunami Victims - Falklands (Heritage) - 04.01.2005
- Flags will be flying at half mast throughout the Falklands on Wednesday, 05 January 2005 as a mark of respect for the people who lost their lives in the December 26th Tsunami-Earthquake.
- 586: Where in the World? - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.12.2004
- This is a photo of Christmas/New Years Celebrations but where in the world is it?
- 587: Bill Hunter-Christie Prize - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.12.2004
- The Bill Hunter-Christie Prize has been awarded to Kerry Anne Ross.
- 588: Toddle Raises Money for Playground Fund - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.12.2004
- Sunday morning's Excellent weather helped to make the Toddle an enjoyable event.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) The view of participants from near the monument.
- 589: FOGL Awarded 50,000 sq km Extra Acreage - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.12.2004
- Falkland Oil and Gas Limited (“FOGL”) announces that it has been awarded an offshore
production licence for an additional 50,000 sq km by the government of the Falkland Islands;
the licence area is adjacent to its existing licences where FOGL is in a Joint Venture with
- 590: Infant/Junior School: December's First Carol Service - Falklands (Heritage) - 06.12.2004
- Students at the Infant/Junior School in Stanley have presented their annual Christmas Carol Service and Nativity at Christ Church Cathedral on Wednesday, 01 December 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Infant/Junior School Students at the Carol Service
- 591: Bendigo: Falklands Athletes Battle the Heat - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.11.2004
- The Falklands team landed in a heat and drought stricken Victoria on the 24th November to begin their final preparations for the 2004 Commonwealth Youth Games in Bendigo, Australia. Roxane Morrison joined the team the day after following some minor hiccups along the way.
Photo: (c) Steve Dent (FIOGA) - Dion Robertson with the Falklands Flag.
- 592: SAMA'82 Participate In Remembrance Sunday in Cardiff - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.11.2004
- Sama'82 provided a marching contingent at the Remembrance Sunday Parade held in Cardiff on 14 November 2004. This is the first occasion that SAMA'82 has been represented in the United Kingdom other than the parade in London.
Photo (c) Chris Duggan - The SAMA'82 Marchers in Cardiff
- 593: Playground Group Net £342.00 for Equipment - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.11.2004
- Leeann Harris, Carol Eynon and Jill Harris have organised a jumble sale in aid of the Kids Playground Group, a registered charity.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Leann Harris and Carol Eynon sell tea, coffee and cakes for the Kids Playground Group.
- 594: Reception Marks 150 Years for FIDF - Falklands (Heritage) - 07.11.2004
- The Falkland Islands Defence Force has celebrated their 150th anniversary with a reception held in their Headquarters on Saturday evening.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) H. E. the Governor Mr. Howard Pearch presents a promotion to Cpl. richard Morrison.
- 595: Community School Concert: Excellent Entertainment - Falklands (Heritage) - 31.10.2004
- On Wednesday and Thursday of last week, the Falkland Islands Community School students performed an excellent evening concert at the Town Hall.
- 596: Sea and Marine Cadet Open Day Photos - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.10.2004
- On Saturday, 23 October 2004 the Sea and Marine Cadets of Stanley held an open day at T/S ENDURANCE.
- 597: Breezy Wedding for Falklands Governor - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.10.2004
- Warm, breezy winds and bright sunshine accented the wedding of H. E. the Governor Mr Howard Pearce and Miss Caroline Thomee.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The happy couple with the FIDF Guard of Honour
- 598: Zoro and Co.Take Turkey Vulture Prize - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.10.2004
- Operation Turkey Vulture took place at the Parish Hall and around Stanley on Sunday, 17 October 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Anna Stenning, Sandra Picconi and Harriet Hall check off the items. A bottle of Penguin Ale sufficed for a penguin.
- 599: Falklands: HMS Dumbarton Castle Says Hello - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 09.10.2004
- On what could be her last deployment in the South Atlantic before decommissioning, the HMS DUMBARTON CASTLE has arrived in Stanley.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright -Crew of HMS LEEDS CASTLE prepare to hand over the flag.
- 600: Bacon's Back at the Trough - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.10.2004
- The Trough, home of the Fighting Pig Band, has been closed now for a spot of refurbishment and an extension to the premises.
Photo (c) Fighting Pig Band - Pete King on the drums.
- 601: Governor Hollamby Reminisces - St Helena (Heritage) - 01.10.2004
- Governor and Mrs Hollamby departed St Helena on the RMS on Wednesday marking the end of Governor Hollamby’s tour in office as Governor and Commander in Chief of St Helena and its dependencies.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA-SH) H.E. the Governor Mr. David Hollamby with "Flat Stanley" during one of SARTMA's visits to St. Helena.
- 602: HMS LEEDS CASTLE Heads North - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 26.09.2004
- Having just returned from South Georgia, some of the crew of HMS LEEDS CASTLE attended the Falklands conservation Charity Ball on Friday night. Later this week the ship will head north.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - The photo shows the crew aboard Leeds Castle saying good-bye to Stanley.
- 603: A Thank-You - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.09.2004
- Terry Peck and Arlette Betts have donated to SAMA '82.
Photo(c) Chris Duggan - Arlette Betts with a wreath laid on behalf of the Islanders.
- 604: Adieu to HMS Leeds Castle - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 14.09.2004
- Amid Church bells and saluting guns, the HMS LEEDS CASTLE paid her final visit to Stanley on Monday morning. On-lookers gathered at Victory Green and at the War Memorial as well as along the seafront to wave the ship off and to take final photographs.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Leeds Castle on her way out.
- 605: Excellent Craft Fair Larger This Year - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.09.2004
- A whopping 650 entries have been displayed at this year’s Falkland Craft Fair, that was held over the weekend of 11 and 12 September 2004. Competitors exhibited in thirteen categories and there was a section for display only as well. In summing up the event, Organiser, Barbara Curtis said it all.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Some of the entries.
- 606: New Roman Catholic Website for the South Atlantic - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 05.09.2004
- Though miles physically separate the Roman Catholic Churches in the South Atlantic, they can all be reached with the click of a mouse, now that Monsignor McPartland, the Prefect Apostolic for all the Parishes represented in the ocean, has launched a Church website. A website for the Catholic Churches in the South Atlantic will go live just in time for Monsignor McPartland to announce it at Mass on Sunday.
Photo (c) St. Mary's - Fr. John Doran and Fr. Charles Carmack saying Mass at the Argentine Cemetery in 1994.
- 607: Avocado Monkeys: Music With Pizzazz - Falklands (Heritage) - 28.08.2004
- The Avocado Monkeys have been entertaining Falkland Islanders for some years now and it looks as if they will be a household name for years to come, although the age differences mean that they can’t be a unit at all times. They have just produced a CD with their music, as Mike Triggs (MT) explained to Lizz Elliot (LE) of FIBS.
Photo (c) Mike Triggs - The CD Album Cover
- 608: Red Cross Long Service Awards for Two Stanley Women - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.08.2004
- Mrs. Nellie Hewitt and Mrs. Dot Keenleyside of Stanley have been awarded Long Service Medals from the British Red Cross Society.
Photo (c) Keith and Kathy Biles - Mrs. Nell Hewitt Receives her Long Service Badge from Deputy Governor Miss. Harriet Hall.
- 609: Stanley in August: Pretty as a Picture - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.08.2004
- While readers in the Northern Hemisphere are swealtering, give a thought to us down here.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 610: HMS LEEDS CASTLE: Sea Day Demonstrates the Right Stuff - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 15.08.2004
- Some might not want to leave their beds on Friday the 13th but for me, just tempt with a sea day and I’m off.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Squadron Leader Jason Morley being winched to the stern of HMS LEEDS CASTLE.
- 611: RAF Clerk Receives Commendation - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 11.08.2004
- SAC Ash Barnett has been awarded a Certificate of Merit by Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands (CBSAI) for his outstanding work whilst serving as the Unit Chief Clerk at the Joint Service Police Support Unit (JSPSU) at MPA.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - SAC Barnett receives his commendation from Air Commodore Richard Lacey (CBSAI).
- 612: Soldiers' Yomp for Stanley Hospital Raises over £1,000. - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 11.08.2004
- A team of soldiers from MPA has completed a gruelling 80-mile yomp from San Carlos to Stanley raising well over £1000 for King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in Stanley.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - Yompers on the way to Stanley.
- 613: All Set for the Annual Falkland Craft Fair - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.07.2004
- The 2004 Annual Falkland Craft Fair will take place in the Community School on Saturday and Sunday, 11 & 12 September 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Horse gear entered in last year's show.
- 614: Islander Visits Home - Falklands (Heritage) - 26.07.2004
- Terry Betts, author of “Falkland Islander Till I Die,” has returned to the Falklands, howbeit for only one week.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) Terry Betts signs a book for Johnwillie Jaffray.
- 615: FIODA Variety Show: Thoroughly Entertaining - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.07.2004
- People of all ages participated in this year’s Farmers Week FIODA Variety show, held in the Town Hall at 1900 on Wednesday, 14 July 2004.
Photo (C) J. Brock (FINN)
- 616: Argentine Families to Visit New Memorial at Darwin - Falklands (Heritage) - 16.07.2004
- This press release from Gilbert House tells us that no more than 12 Argentine Family Members will visit the newly constructed War Memorial at Darwin.
- 617: Queen's Birthday Honour for Corporal Serving at MPA - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 15.07.2004
- Capt. Jill Hamlin of MPA Media Ops tells us about an exceptional Corporal.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - Corporal Molyneux
- 618: 2004 Queen's Medal in Shooting Awarded to Flt. Lt. Allen - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 15.07.2004
- Flight Lieutenant Conrad Allen has beaten the 11 times winner of an RAF Skill at Arms Meeting at Bisley, UK to become the champion shot of the RAF for 2004 and proud owner of the coveted Queen's Medal.
Photo (c) Crown Copyright - Flt. Lt. Allen with his medal
- 619: “Thunder on the Mountain” Story and Photographs by Brian P. Davis - Ascension (Heritage) - 24.06.2004
- Sunday afternoons on Ascension Island are usually quiet and peaceful. The silence is seldom broken except for the ringing of church bells or the sounds of waves crashing onto the rocky coastline. For many of the island residents it’s a day of rest. Families and friends usually gather together for an afternoon at the beach, or perhaps today a backyard barbeque is in the making. But this Sunday (June 5, 2004) afternoon would prove to be different from all the rest…
- 620: Jelly Tots Mid Winter Fancy Dress Competition Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 21.06.2004
- Children from 0 to 11 took part in the annual Jelly Tots Mid Winter Fancy Dress Competition.
Photo(c) J. Brock (FINN) - "That's another fine mess you've got me into, Ollie!"
- 621: Mid Winter Swim Broadcast Live on KTV - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.06.2004
- Thanks to the efforts of KTV, viewers who were unable or unwilling to make it to Surf Bay for the annual Mid Winter Swim have been able to watch the event live on television.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Swimmers, anxious to get it over, entered the water before the big bang went off.
- 622: Ivy Ellick and Olive Williams Receive Honours - St Helena (Heritage) - 17.06.2004
- It gives me great pleasure to announce the awards of Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire to Mrs Sylvia Ivy Ellick and, Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire to Mrs Olive Maud Williams for services to St Helena. These were published in the 2004 Birthday Honours List published in London today (Saturday, 12 June 2004).
Photo(c) St. Helena Government
- 623: Liberation Day: Warm and Intimate Despite the Cold - Falklands (Heritage) - 15.06.2004
- A Church service and wreath laying ceremony to mark the 22nd anniversary of liberation from Argentine occupation took place in Stanley on Monday, 14 June 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 624: North Arm to Stanley in 32 Hours - Falklands (Heritage) - 14.06.2004
- They progressed through the night to reach their goal.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Anne Pitaluga, H. E. the Governor Mr. Howard Pearce and Trudy Clarke after the 100-mile walk
- 625: Falklands Team Announce Further Sponsorship - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.06.2004
- The Falklands Team have acquired more sponsors
- 626: Governor Achieves Prime Objective - St Helena (Heritage) - 12.06.2004
- As this is being written the Government of St. Helena was preparing to announce the outcome of the PR exercise that will bring that Island an airport. This achievement is thanks (in many ways) to the political skill of its Governor, H. E. Mr. David Hollamby (DH).
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA - SH) H. E. the Governor and Mrs. Hollamby.
- 627: Flags at Half-Mast for Former US President - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 11.06.2004
- Flags on all government buildings are, today, flying at half-mast as a mark of respect for former US President Ronald Reagan.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Union Flag located between the 1982 War memorial and the Secretariat at half-mast in honour of former US President Ronald Reagan
- 628: Islanders Express Appreciation for President Reagan - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.06.2004
- While international tributes come in for former President Ronald Reagan, who sadly died of Alzheimer’s disease on Saturday, Falkland Islanders remember with appreciation what President Reagan did for them personally.
Photo (c) File Photo
- 629: Ronald Reagan: Key Falklands Player Dies at 93 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 06.06.2004
- Instrumental in Falklands' freedom, Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States, has died from the complications of Alzheimer's disease.
- 630: Order of the British Empire Service - All (Heritage) - 26.05.2004
- Four people who have been closely involved with the four British islands in the South Atlantic met at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London on 26th May.
Photo (c) FIGO London - David Taylor, Sukey Cameron, Andrew Bell and Bernard Pauncefort in front of St. Paul's.
- 631: Tiphanie May Is May Queen 2004 - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.05.2004
- Tiphanie May, daughter of Lindsay and Christopher May of Stanley and George Island has been named May Queen for 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) Prince Charming, Jon Felton, May Queen, Tiphanie May, May Princess, Tamara McCormick and Runner-up, Robbie Todd.
- 632: Falklands Book Spot-on - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.05.2004
- “A Falkland Islander Till I Die,” by Terry Betts is an accurate account of the thing he knows best – his life.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA) Terry Betts, right, congratulates John Birmingham.
- 633: South Atlantic Adventure for Flat Stanley - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 13.05.2004
- When Flat Stanley left St. Clement’s Elementary School in St. Bernard, Ohio on the 5th of November 2003, no one knew that by the time he finished his travels, the paper cut out would be travelling to each of the South Atlantic British Overseas Territories. That’s a trip of approximately 20,000 miles by air and by sea.
Photos (c) J. Brock (SARTMA) Tristan Students at St. Mary's School pose with Flat Stanley
- 634: Ascension Day Fair on 22 May - Ascension (Heritage) - 06.05.2004
- The Ascension Day Fair will be held on May 22 this year
- 635: Myriam Hands Over the Keys - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 03.05.2004
- After 43 years, Myriam Booth hands over the keys to the British Antarctic Survey's Office in Stanley to her successor, Pauline Sackett.
Photo (c) J. Brock SARTMA)
- 636: Falklands Celebrate for the Queen - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.04.2004
- In still, cool conditions, a parade to mark the Birthday of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) The Normandy Band of the King's Division.
- 637: St. Helenian Charity Set Up In Falklands - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 03.03.2004
- The Executive Committee of the St Helenian Emergency Relief Fund are pleased to announce its formation as a Registered Charity in the Falkland Islands.
Photo (c) Cherie Clifford
- 638: Letter from the Argentine Families Commission - Falklands (Heritage) - 25.02.2004
- The Argentine Families Commission has written H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce to thank Islanders through him for efforts concerning the memorial at Darwin.
- 639: Cruise Ship Musicians Give Cathedral Concert - Falklands (Heritage) - 23.02.2004
- When the Hansiatic made an emergency call into Stanley for bunkers her passengers were treated to a concert in Christ Church Cathedral.
- 640: Beltran Sets Standard At CPA Conference - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 21.02.2004
- “How to Restore Trust Between the Public Administration and Politicians, and How to Convince the Public that Good Public Services in a Community Are a Result of Good Government,” was the final topic in the regional CPA Conference held in the Falklands from16 to 20 February 2004.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 641: Argentine Known Only by God Re-buried at Darwin. - Falklands (Heritage) - 18.02.2004
- A short and dignified service of re-burial for an Argentine soldier known only by God took place at the Argentine Cemetery at Darwin yesterday.
- 642: A Musical Success - St Helena (Heritage) - 17.02.2004
- The soft music from the CD “Sax Moods”, “The Way We Were” complimented the success which was being celebrated at Ann’s Place on the cool afternoon of Friday 6 February.
- 643: Armed Forces Bishop Confirms Three at Cathedral - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.01.2004
- The Rt. Reverend, David Connor, Dean of Windsor and Bishop of the Armed Forces has confirmed three people: Dr. Roger Diggle, Hannah Arthur-Almond and Beverley Lee into the Church of England at a specially arranged service at Christ Church Cathedral on Sunday evening. There was a robed choir in attendance as well as a full congregation.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 644: BAS Bid Farewell to Myriam Booth - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.01.2004
- With the honoured guests, including the one with the speech, still aloft in the Tristar, H. E. the Governor, Mr Howard Pearce, stepped into the breach and became Pooh Bah of sorts, at Myriam Booth’s retirement ceremony, held at the Chamber of Commerce Building on Thursday evening.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 645: Christmas Stamps Sell Out - St Helena (Heritage) - 10.01.2004
- The Post Office has sold most of its Christmas stamps. The Commemorative Christmas Issue featured five stamps and an Official First Day Cover.
- 646: Battle Day Photos - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.12.2003
- This year's Battle Day Commemorations on 08 December had a new Governor's Cadet in attendance.
- 647: Visit of the Anglican Bishop of Chile - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 13.12.2003
- Graham France writes about the Anglican Bishop of Chile, Bishop Tito, and his wife Myriam , who arrived in the Falklands on Saturday 6th December and were guests of His Excellency the Governor, Mr Howard Pearce, at Government House.
Photo (c) Kathy Biles
- 648: Bishop Tito in Licensing and Confirmation Service - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.12.2003
- Bishop Tito, the Head of the Anglican Church in Chile, has returned to the Falklands to License the Rev Paul Sweeting as Priest in Charge of Christ Church Cathedral and to confirm Helen Davies and Edward Freer into the Church of England.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 649: Cartmell Cottage: A Return Home - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.11.2003
- For several years now, Cartmell Cottage has been an on-going restorative project for the Stanley Museum.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN) - Les Whitney shows how "Dolly" can make things clean.
- 650: Remembrance Sunday Commemorated - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 09.11.2003
- The appalling weather kept the QEII away but those onshore flocked to the Cathedral and Cross of Sacrifice.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 651: Tristan Times: At Last, A Dedicated Site - Tristan (Heritage) - 08.11.2003
- Tristan Times now has its own separate website.
Photo (c) James Glass - Tristan da Cunha viewed from Nightingale Island
- 652: Johnny Drummond, Friend and Journalist - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 30.10.2003
- John Drummond was born in Hong Kong on 11th February 1956. He was the son of Margaret and Gilbert Drummond. His father was working for Cable & Wireless at the time and the family moved around the world to Mr Drummond’s different postings.
- 653: Msr. Agreiter Remembered in Moving Memorial - Tristan (Heritage) - 27.10.2003
- A memorial Mass to pray for the repose of the soul and to give thanksgiving for the life of Monsignor Anton Agreiter was held at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Stanley, Falkland Islands at 1700 on Saturday, 25 October 2003.
Photo (c) J. Brock (FINN)
- 654: Peat Cutting Monday: Still Popular With Islanders - Falklands (Heritage) - 30.09.2003
- It's time to start thinking about cutting enough peat to last throughout next winter.
- 655: Battle of Britain Remembered at Solemn Service - Ascension (Heritage) - 21.09.2003
- This year marks the 63rd anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA) Military personnel on Ascension Island remember the Battle of Britain.
- 656: Sports Fun Day Being Planned - Falklands (Heritage) - 17.09.2003
- You loved it last year, now we are going to have another fun day.
- 657: Death Announcement - Falklands (Heritage) - 13.09.2003
- Brian Paul, who was instrumental in promoting the Falklands in the UK over many years has died in the UK.
- 658: Documents Donated to St. Helena Archives - St Helena (Heritage) - 06.09.2003
- John Pinfold has donated something valuable to St. Helena's Archives.
Photo (c) SHG - Lacosta McDaniel receives a historical document from John Pinfold
- 659: A First for Falklands, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 21.08.2003
- Harriet Hall has something to share with members of her High School Class.
Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA) Her Honour Harriet Hall takes oath of office
- 660: Accommodation Camp On Its Way To South Georgia - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 14.08.2003
- The Government of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is spending a huge amount of money to rid Grytviken of asbestos.
Photo(c) Stuart Broughton The saunting task ahead.
- 661: Dennis Thatcher Dies at 88 - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 26.06.2003
- The South Atlantic Overseas Territories mourn the sad loss of Sir Dennis Thatcher.
- 662: IWC Press Release - Br.Ant.Territory (Heritage) - 17.06.2003
- The Inbternational Whaling Commission has met in Berlin.
- 663: Hill Cove Designation Meeting - Falklands (Heritage) - 11.06.2003
- Finally something is being done about the fact that the Falklands need National Parks.
- 664: Sandy Bay Environmental Field Centre to Close - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.05.2003
- The Sandy Bay Environmental Field Centre will be closed and used for a different purpose.
- 665: FCO Awards £150,000.00 - St Helena (Heritage) - 30.05.2003
- H. E. the Governor Mr. David Hollamby has announced the successful securing of £150,000.00 from the FCO.
- 666: French Presence Symposium - St Helena (Heritage) - 29.05.2003
- Garron Yon tells us of the seventh annual French Presence Symposium and the 8th commemorative ceremony for the anniversary of the death of Napoleon
- 667: Promoting St. Helena Stamps - St Helena (Heritage) - 25.05.2003
- The Post Office makes use of improved communications to promote St. Helena's Stamps.
- 668: Father and Daughter Team Up to Show Nature's Design - Falklands (Heritage) - 24.04.2003
- Ian Strange and daughter, Georgina, have teamed up to present their work. Photo (c) J. Brock (SARTMA)
- 669: Priests With the Right Stuff are Needed for the South Atlantic - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 20.04.2003
- If you are a Catholic Priest with the right stuff and want a unique appointment, read on.
- 670: Commissioner Talks About South Georgia Trip - S.Georgia (Heritage) - 12.04.2003
- The Commissioner for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands speaks to the BBC about his South Georgia trip.
- 671: Planning and Building Committee Report - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.03.2003
- Twenty-five applications were considered in this lengthy meeting.
- 672: "..Not Squander Ecosystems," Says Rammel - S.Atlantic (Heritage) - 27.03.2003
- The environmental Heritage of Overseas Territories must not be allowed to fade away.
- 673: Bulgarian Sets Record Straight on Falkland's Future - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.03.2003
- Dr. Lyubomir Ivanov is an avid Falklands fan and he puts forward his ideas for the future.
- 674: Lewis Clifton Receives OBE From HM The Queen - Falklands (Heritage) - 27.03.2003
- Former Councillor Lewis Clifton has received an OBE from HM the Queen and has hosted a reception at Falkland House
- 675: Falklands Fossils Unlock Their Secrets - Falklands (Heritage) - 22.02.2003
- Fossils that were laid down 400 Million years ago are talking to us today.
- 676: Tristanian Rescued by Boat and by Helicopter - Tristan (Heritage) - 21.02.2003
- This historical article describes in graphic detail why Tristan da Cunha is considered to be the remotest island in the world.
- 677: Taking the Teacher Trade - St Helena (Heritage) - 10.02.2003
- find out what people on St. Helena are saying about their teacher shortage.
- 678: Talks About St Helena's Future Now Underway - St Helena (Heritage) - 16.01.2003
- Legislative Council have come up with thirteen objectives that map the way forward for St. Helena.
- 679: The Museum Needs A Curator - St Helena (Heritage) - 06.01.2003
- The Museum is looking for a curator. Do you fit the bill? read on below.
- 680: Falklands Commemorate Battle Day - Falklands (Heritage) - 08.12.2002
- A sunny, warm day made it perfect to commemorate those who gave their lives to keep the Falklands free.
- 681: HRH Princess Royal Visits St. Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.11.2002
- Find out what HRH the Princess Royal did when she visited St. Helena recently
- 682: HRH Princess Royal Visits St. Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 22.11.2002
- Find out what HRH the Princess Royal did when she visited St. Helena recently
- 683: A Chance to Heal the Falkland Islands - Falklands (Heritage) - 19.11.2002
- With 20/20 hindsight, last Wednesday saw the departure of 217 veterans, widows and family members who came to the Falklands needing to bury the numerous ghosts that have haunted them since the dark days of the 1982 Falkland Islands Conflict.
- 684: Moving Memorial Service Attended by Royalty and Veterans - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.11.2002
- For those of you who did not attend, here is a report on what happened at the service of remembrance in Stanley Cathedral on Sunday.
- 685: HRH The Duke of York Visits New Island - Falklands (Heritage) - 12.11.2002
- In this comprehensive report by Ian Strange, the visit to New Island by the Duke of York is discussed in detail.
- 686: My Return to the Falklands ... Poignant and Emotional - Falklands (Heritage) - 10.11.2002
- HRH the Duke of York visited the Argentine cemetery at Darwin and gave a vivid account of his personal feelings.
- 687: Fitzroy Morning - Falklands (Heritage) - 09.11.2002
- Over the dusty ridge they drove, to see that place on Fitzroy Water.
- 688: Launch of the new KZN Friends of St Helena - St Helena (Heritage) - 07.11.2002
- The commercial representative for St. Helena in South Africa has attended the launch of the newly formed Kwazulu-Natal Friends of St. Helena Society.
- 689: SHG Supports the Preservation of Heritage Sites - St Helena (Heritage) - 31.10.2002
- Money has been allocated to help preserve various heritage sites around St. Helena.