Falklands : Stanley Leisure Centre Admission Policy
Submitted by Falkland Islands News Network (Juanita Brock) 22.06.2014 (Current Article)
Stanley Leisure Centre Admission Policy aims to safeguard swimmers that are most at risk when using the swimming pool facilities (not just the pool itself).
Stanley Leisure Centre Admission Policy
Stanley Leisure Centre Admission Policy aims to safeguard swimmers that are most at risk when using the swimming pool facilities (not just the pool itself). The policy does not intend to prevent families and children having fun in the water and enjoying the physical and social benefits of swimming, nor create unnecessary barriers for parents and carers when accessing our facilities, but has been introduced in an effort to reduce the risk of possible accidents and incidents.
Our policy is guided by recommendations from the Safe (Safe Activities for Everyone) Network and other best practice for safeguarding children.
• All Children under the age of 10 years entering the pool area must be supervised (from the viewing area) by a responsible person of 16 years or above at all times, unless they can successfully demonstrate their competency to swim through the Angelfish 1 Award.
• All Children under the age of 8 years entering the pool area must be accompanied in the pool by a responsible person of 16 years or above at all times.
• Children under the age of 5 should be accompanied in the pool on a one-to-one basis (1 child to 1 adult), regardless of swimming ability, unless attending a Young Swimmer Session.
• Children aged between 5 and 7 should be accompanied in the pool on a maximum four-to-one basis (4 children to 1 adult).
• Whilst in the leisure centre the responsible person should maintain a constant watch over the child / children they are supervising / accompanying and be in close contact with children who are weak or non-swimmers.
Angelfish 1 Award
The award aims to assist children in the enjoyment of our swimming facilities and is linked directly to our admission policy. The award will allow those children (aged 8 / 9 years), who are competent swimmers but who would otherwise have restricted access through our admission policy, to enjoy the benefits of swimming without an accompanying adult.
The test is readily available on request and upon completion a card will be awarded to the successful child. Each time the child attends the pool, unaccompanied by a person over the age of 16, they must produce their ‘Angelfish Card’.
Young Swimmer Sessions
Children aged 0 - 7yrs – 2:1 (2 children to 1 adult)
Recognising that single parent families and families with younger children may find the 1:1 ratios difficult to meet, we have developed regular Young Swimmer Sessions (see schedule for availability), which are specifically designed with additional safety measures, allowing parents to supervise up to two children of any combination of ages from 0 - 7yrs.