Falklands : WILD MUSHROOM POISONING REPORTED IN THE FALKLANDS
Submitted by Falkland Islands News Network (Juanita Brock) 06.10.2012 (Article Archived on 20.10.2012)
A local woman has recently been poisoned by wild mushrooms she found while rambling in Camp.
WILD MUSHROOM POISONING REPORTED IN THE FALKLANDS
By J. Brock (FINN)
A local woman has recently been poisoned by wild mushrooms she found while rambling in Camp. Falkland Islanders regularly eat wild mushrooms but refuse to harvest them before the month of December due to them causing illness.
As a precaution the Chief Medical Officer, Dr Rob Queenborough, has issued a warning advising people not to eat wild mushrooms or other fungi that they cannot categorically identify as being safe to eat.
Eating the wrong mushrooms or other fungi either cooked or raw will cause severe vomiting and/or diarrhoea. Added to this, severe kidney or liver failure from which there is no recovery is possible.
From all reports the woman has recovered but samples of the mushrooms she are have been sent to the UK for identification.